Adapters for 3(L)R12 available in the USA?

ArchaeoCat

Newly Enlightened
I have been looking for an adapter for the European 3R12/3LR12 battery. I can't find one anywhere in the USA. There are some in Germany, but the sellers either won't send to the USA OR they charge an outrageous fortune for shipping.

I have several old 3R12 lights that I really like. But when my Vartas are gone, the cost of replacements is just not economical. The carbon zinc chemistry isn't great on shelf life either. The alkaline batteries are like $20 a battery! No one here in the US has them for a decent price, if they have any at all. So, I figured I would use an adapter and use three NiMH AA cells. But like I said, the only place to get the adapters is on FeaBay and from Europe. Anyone else figure this out? Perhaps there is a generic 3-cell AA adapter that I could just clip onto the contacts? Is there a good, inexpensive source for adapters here in the USA so I don't have to pay twice (or more) the price of an adapter in shipping?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Does anyone make NiMH "B" cells? This is the size cell that makes up the 3R12 battery pack. There are just three "B" (R12) cells inside. If I could get some NiMH R12 "B" cells, my NiteCore SC4 charger should be able to recharge them. And I could maybe crack open a 3R12 case and make an adapter that way.

Last edited:
Panasonic makes a 3R12. It's available from reputable online sellers for about $2.50 each, less if you buy in lots of 10 or more. Just search on "3R12 battery" and choose from multiple vendors.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have a russian flashlight that does not have a battery in it.
i often thought of gutting a dead one,inserting a 3p group of 18650 from a laptop pack,and adding a tp4056 with protection.
i see the 4.5v battery all over the internet but its not worth it to order one.
looks like 3d printed it is for this shelf queen.

ArchaeoCat

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, but the 3R12/3LR12 batteries just are not available here in the USA for anything approaching affordable. Not from Amazon, eBay, or independent retailers (where you just can't find them).

The 3-D printed version is out of the question for me as I do not have, nor can afford a 3-D printer (or the learning curve to learn how to use it).

The Petzl one is tempting, but I don't know if it would actually fit the old European military lights I have. What are the dimensions? Also, Petzl said they are no longer being manufactured, so these must be new old stock or used or something.

I was hoping someone would have something like the ones freely available in Europe. But getting one here to the USA is either price prohibitive or impossible at all.

If Radio Shack and the like were still around and anywhere close to where I am, I'd just piece something together. I guess these lights will wind up on the shelf when the batch of 3R12s I have now are expended, if no one can show me where to get an adapter (or the batteries themselves cheaply.)

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's someone on ebay from Germany selling them in lots of 5 or 10 who ships internationally, might be worth it if you need several.

ArchaeoCat

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, almost bought one from them. He's the only one shipping to the USA. So, despite what the others say (that they can't ship to the USA), they can. But it was going to cost me over $21 for one. Surely, there is someone here in North America that has them!?

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i ordered 2 of those many years ago from Germany, could not find any in usa.

however i believe it would not be hard to make one on a 3d printer these days.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
unless you live in the absolute middle of nowhere there will be a makerspace type of outfit somewhere close by.
a flash drive with the .stl in hand and some time.....

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 3-D printed version is out of the question for me as I do not have, nor can afford a 3-D printer (or the learning curve to learn how to use it).

you do not need a 3d printer, if you handy with basic tools you can make one pretty easy out of widely available materials, like wood or plywood.

just make a wooden rectangle 67x62x22mm. round 2 sides with a sander, or even a utility knife, will be a bit rough but it'll work anyway.

hollow or cut out the center section, glue in 3aa holder, or 3 independent 1aa holders, with epoxy, or hot glue. use some copper/brass strips for contacts. but even steel will work, that is it. It will look kinda ugly but it will work.

ArchaeoCat

Newly Enlightened
unless you live in the absolute middle of nowhere there will be a makerspace type of outfit somewhere close by.
a flash drive with the .stl in hand and some time.....
Yup, as the joke goes, "I may not live in the middle of nowhere, but I can see it from my window!" It's an hour and a half each way to the nearest towns of 6,000 and 9,800 people. I live in an area of 3,100 square miles and a population of about 6,800 people. Yeah, remote.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i live in nyc, you'd think we have no shortage of stores, yet there are no stores that cell those batterers. i looked online, no us sellers. so whether you live in a remote place, or urban jungle like new york city, there are just no 3lr12 anywhere in stores in usa.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i may print a short run of these to see what sort of demand there is.
offer them here and on ebay.
i do suspect its not worth my time but i have been surprised before.

ArchaeoCat

Newly Enlightened
i may print a short run of these to see what sort of demand there is.
offer them here and on ebay.
i do suspect its not worth my time but i have been surprised before.
Did you ever print any of these? I'm still looking for a solution.

I'd love to have some NiMH R12 cells. Anyone know if they make those? I could easily recharge those in my Nitecore charger. But that doesn't seem to be a thing, a rechargeable R12 sized cell. A rechargeable 3R12 sized battery would be cool too.

Thanks for all the discussion, I'm still at a loss for an economical solution.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you ever print any of these? I'm still looking for a solution.

I'd love to have some NiMH R12 cells. Anyone know if they make those? I could easily recharge those in my Nitecore charger. But that doesn't seem to be a thing, a rechargeable R12 sized cell. A rechargeable 3R12 sized battery would be cool too.

Thanks for all the discussion, I'm still at a loss for an economical solution.
Yes they are called 4/3A cells, same size as 18650, but nimh, battery space.com cells some, as for an adapter, there aren't any in the states, i had few lights running on those, so i had to order 3aa-3r12 adapters from Germany.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The R12 cell is also known as the B battery, Eveready U10 or No. 30. Roughly 21.5 mm x 60 mm. I don't think it has been in regular production for many years, except for use in 3R12 batteries.

ArchaeoCat

Newly Enlightened
Yes they are called 4/3A cells, same size as 18650, but nimh, battery space.com cells some, as for an adapter, there aren't any in the states, i had few lights running on those, so i had to order 3aa-3r12 adapters from Germany.
I tried multiple times to get the 3AA to 3R12 battery adapters from Germany, but none would ship to the USA. The one that originally said he would, then renegged, was charging as much for the shipping as for a battery adapter!

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could probably make an adapter out of a dead 3R12 battery and 3 AA battery holders in series - no need to 3D print anything.