Adjustable beam flashlights?

farmer17

Newly Enlightened
I have a 3D Maglite and when I adjust the beam it never looks that great. I can set it for optimum throw and there is a little swirly thing in the hot spot, and when I flood it more the beam looks even worse. When its set on total flood it doesn't look too bad, but it seems like a high quality fixed beam that can NOT be adjusted would be better. I hear a lot of guys say they like the adjustable beams on their Maglites so am I missing something? Do you tolerate a crappy beam because its adjustable and flexible for different uses or do I just have a bad one? Are there other lights whose adjustable beams are as high quality in all settings as a good fixed beam light?

waterboiler

Newly Enlightened
I have a couple of Led Lenser ( P7 & P13 IIRC ) that do a great job of beam adjustment. The lights are simple electronically ( no regulation ) but fantastic optically. The P13 is 3D, so runtime is not really a concern. but is about the same size as a 4D Mag. Output is about 200 lumens on CREE LEDs, I think. The lights are big, probably to accomodate the focus optic system but short of a possible upcomming light from Surefire the best focus system going. Prices sit around $60-$100 depending where you find them so they are well above Mag in cost.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
On tight focus in a Mag you will see the filament.
I don't care for it inside on a white wall but it's a smooth reflector with a bulb in the middle, nature of the beast. Outside it works great.

As for adjustable options with really clean beams I have no experience.:shrug:

Marduke

Flashaholic
The only problem is that most of the current lights which offer good focusing are very much lacking in most other aspects.

Guy's Dropper

Enlightened
I still like the adjustable doughnut beam on my Maglite. Inside, the imperfection is really obvious, but when I want extreme flood or throw, it's completely worth it. The adjustable beam is the one reason why my 4D incandescent Maglite still sees use. It can function well as both a throw light and a flood light. Of course, I could probably carry 2 different led flashlights that would fulfill each role more effectively, and I would be less encombured, but then I'd have to buy them, and I'd loose the pretty beam color.

Ok, really, I'm just trying to be satisfied with what I have, but that is not working. The truth is, I am saving up for a led drop in and a stippled reflector.

toolpig1

Enlightened
I find adjustability much better on led's, they don't suffer as much from rings and doughnuts the way incans do. My Mag-leds are actually quite good looking from tight spot to broad flood.