AE Xenide 25W or Dipper II 24W?

mazingerz9

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone,

I've seen reviews of the Xenide 25W but not the Dipper II 24W. I'm planning on buying one of these but I just need some input as to which one I should get.

Other questions are, how long would the typical ballast last before it needs to be replaced? Any other parts in a HID flashlight that would need replacement soon (less than 6 months use)?

Here's the links-
AE Xenide 25W - http://www.batteryjunction.com/aex25.html
Dipper II 24W - http://www.luxhid.com.au/index.cfm/d...hid_australia/

I will be using this light mainly for camping.

Last edited:

Mike@PTS

Enlightened
Re: AE Xenide 25W or Dipper II 24W

Hello everyone,

I've seen reviews of the Xenide 25W but not the Dipper II 24W. I'm planning on buying one of these but I just need some input as to which one I should get.

Other questions are, how long would the typical ballast last before it needs to be replaced? Any other parts in a HID flashlight that would need replacement soon (less than 6 months use)?

Here's the links-
AE Xenide 25W - http://www.batteryjunction.com/aex25.html
Dipper II 24W - http://www.luxhid.com.au/index.cfm/d...hid_australia/

I will be using this light mainly for camping.
Hi mazingerz9,
I have not seen a Dipper II but I have seen the first generation Dipper 1 and the AE Light product was brighter. I've had lots of experience with the Xenide Personal Searchlights and can tell you they're well built. If you ever run into a problem AE Light is easy to deal with and their customer service is second to none IMO.

I noticed on the Dipper II there is only a 6 month warranty but on the Xenide there is a 1 year. I wonder why Brightstar only offers a 6mo warranty!

I clicked on the Brightstar banner ad on CPF and found the official warranty.

Here's what I found:
Warranty Terms

Bulb: 90 days (starting from delivery date)
Ballast: 180 days (starting from delivery date)
Battery, Charger & Adapter: 180 days (starting from delivery date)
Other problems resulting from mal-production have to be reported within 15 days after goods arrival
If product is damaged due to human errors or improper use, warranty becomes invalid

I hope this info helps!

mazingerz9

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the input Mike. It's making me think that Brightstar might not be well known. I did searches for the Dipper II and have not found one single review or mentions of it on other forums.

I'll give it a couple more weeks to see if there's anymore responses from others before I make a decision.

Also, does anyone know the life span of the ballast (AEX25 or Dipper II) before it needs replacement?

And for the AEX25 or any other HID flashlight, you can't turn it on, off, on or else that'll burnout the bulb?

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic

Thanks for the input Mike. It's making me think that Brightstar might not be well known. I did searches for the Dipper II and have not found one single review or mentions of it on other forums.

It makes me think that the Brightstar is a risky buy. If the lights appear on the surface to be of similar performance wouldn't you just get the one with the best track record and warranty?

Also, does anyone know the life span of the ballast (AEX25 or Dipper II) before it needs replacement?

We'll, it's usually longer than the bulb and they're rated for 2000+/- hours. I don't have a clue with regards to the Dipper II. You could check the specs for the Dipper but reemember that stated life expectancy and actual bulb/ballast life are two different things. AE has the stronger reputation among CPFers.

And for the AEX25 or any other HID flashlight, you can't turn it on, off, on or else that'll burnout the bulb?

Although none of AE's literature specifically advises against cold shut-offs and hot-restrikes, the general rule with most HID lights is that you let the bulb come to full temperature before shutting off. The warming cycle takes about 1 minute, so loosely consider that as the healthy minimum cycle rate. With regards to hot starts, just wait a few seconds after switching off before turning back on. By following this guideline you'll most likely increase component life and performance, possibly beyond the stated specs.

The other option is to just use it how ever you like and if you ever have an issue AE will provide great support. :thumbsup: