Aftermarket HID healight kit: any suggestions?

YZINGERR

Newly Enlightened
Want to buy an aftermarket HID headlight kit.

There are thousands on ebay, but I want quality over cheap chinese junk.

Any suggestions of what kit to get?
Id like a low only kit.

My vehicle takes
9006 Low bulbs

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone have any information about this?
I would like to brighten up my world at night

YZINGERR

Newly Enlightened
p.s. there are a few "DOT approved" units out there:

apparently, "DOT Approved" doesnt always mean "street legal" .. not sure if this is really true though. But again, I know not all of us are street legal anyhow..

Last edited by a moderator:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
There is no such thing as "DOT approval". DOT does not type-approve components; that's not how the regulations work here. Not for headlamps, not for headlight bulbs, not for brake pads, seat belts, motorcycle helmets, windshields, or any other vehicle component. See here, here, here, here, here, here, and hundreds of other refs I don't have to post because they all say the same thing.

But even if there were such a thing as "DOT approval", the kits you linked to wouldn't be "DOT approved" — the problem is not with any particular implementation, it's with the concept, which cannot possibly be made to work correctly, safely, or in a legally-compliant manner.

In short, the site you linked to is lying. Sooner or later they'll get smacked for it, like the other "HID kit" sellers.

raythompson

Newly Enlightened
Along with that I have often wondered why idiots will put covers over their headlights and intentionally reduce the output. It doesn't look cool, it looks foolish.

Covers over tail lights are worse. When facing away from the sun in the late afternoon it is extremely difficult to see when the brake lights come on when they are covered with dark plastic. This puts the following cars and the original car at risk. Cars with lights involved in being smacked in the rear should be held 75% responsible regardless of other circumstances.

Part of driving is to see and be seen. Intentionally obscuring lights defeats that very purpose. Modifying lighting systems with any retrofit is asking for trouble.

If you really want brigher headlamps consider the Sylvania Silverstar bulbs. They are 100% legal as they are a bulb replacement with the same filament geometry and will match the reflector.

Last edited:

jmac74

Newly Enlightened
GE silverstar?:thinking: I think you mean Sylvania Silverstar?

But that leads me to this question.. You say it's foolish to putting tinted covers over your headlights, but now you're saying that putting tinted covers on your headlight bulbs is the thing to do? Am I understanding this correctly? Silverstars(sylvania) have a blue coating on the bulb which robs lumens from the light output. They have less lumen output than there cheaper brand Xtravision.. If you really want a bulb that put's out a white light(without blue tint on it) with a good lumen output, Philips Xtreme bulbs are great! especially on high beam!

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
No such thing as GE Silverstar bulbs. There's Sylvania Silverstar (scam junk) and GE Night Hawk (good stuff).

YZINGERR

Newly Enlightened
You know what, I bought these blue coated bulbs on ebay.. the glass was a deep blue and the light output was a stong white light.. I really liked the color range of those bulbs, too bad i went through three of the bulbs in 8 months!

Anyone out there know of any QUALITY bulbs out there like these?
I have had the silverstars before, but wasnt impressed as they were only mildy different (note I didnt say "better")

jmac74

Newly Enlightened
They overdrive the filament so they can get the minimal required lumen output. They look great, but the lumens is lower than a good +50,+80 bulb! You can't judge a bulb by it's kelvin temp, the lumen output is what you want!

drizler

Newly Enlightened
No such thing as GE Silverstar bulbs. There's Sylvania Silverstar (scam junk) and GE Night Hawk (good stuff).

I wouldn't go so far as to say Silverstars are a scam. I have used em in a couple cars and snowmobiles since they came out. Yes they do not last, true enough.

jmac74

Newly Enlightened
I got my Philips Extreme Power bulbs for the same price as the SilverStars, and they throw out more light than the SilverStars by a large margin!

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
Want to buy an aftermarket HID headlight kit... My vehicle takes 9006 Low bulbs

What people are getting at here is that an HID bulb in an incan housing = teh suck. You have to change over the reflector to go with the new bulb if you want performance.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Sylvania Silverstar bulbs, like all other bulbs with tinted (blue/purple) glass, put out less light than bulbs with untinted (clear) glass. Not more.

When somebody comes up with a filter that reverses the laws of physics by adding light rather than subtracting it from the output, he or she will win a Nobel prize and become very rich in a hurry, because it'll amount to a perpetual-motion machine. Filters trap or reflect whatever they're designed to filter -- whether it's dust out of the air, chemicals out of tapwater, or certain colors of light out of a beam. That's what makes them filters. No amount of glossy packaging or advertising or babble about "whiter" light can or will ever change that.

And understanding and citing laws of physics is being realistic, not "opinionated".

drizler

Newly Enlightened
Ok, opinionated v/s scientific, filters and all that that happy hoopla be damned.

YZINGERR

Newly Enlightened
I see your points and i will no longer be buying a HID KIT for my vehicle. :poof:

raythompson

Newly Enlightened
GE silverstar?:thinking: I think you mean Sylvania Silverstar?
Yep. Thanks for the correction.
You say it's foolish to putting tinted covers over your headlights, but now you're saying that putting tinted covers on your headlight bulbs is the thing to do? Am I understanding this correctly?
No. I think covers over any lights should be illegal. As in significant citation and the vehicle cannot be driven until they are removed. It is for the safety of other drivers as well as the driver of the vehicle. Light covers look really stupid.

Taliano

Newly Enlightened
I hate to say it after everyone already said it, but keep in mind that retrofit HIDs can scatter light improperly onto the road and blind on coming drivers. This is why people keep saying that it is bad/illegal. You could also get a ticket.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Oracle has a good reputation among high-end car owners. They're a little pricey, but the quality you seek is there.

Finest-quality junk is still junk. The problem is with the concept of an "HID kit".