Airport security & traveling w/flashlights & batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDM44

Newly Enlightened
I fly often on AA (at least once or twice a month) and I always carry flashlights in my carry-on bags.... mainly because I don't check any bags in.

At the most, I may have 4 or 5 flashlights with me, but on average I usually have 3.... keychain (LD01), small hand-held (E11), and larger hand-held (E21 or even my TK41). I've also had packs of batteries in my bag as well, like a 24-pack of AA batteries. Never had any issues, nor have I been questioned about them yet. This going through 'major' airports like LAX, SFO, ORD, and DFW for the past 4 years.

LGT

Enlightened
Just passed through the Airport in Cancun. While my lights and batteries drew some interest from the person running the scanner for carry on items. Nothing was confiscated. She studied the cr123's a little bit, along with my ZL H51w, H31, and Peak El capitan. Everything was good to go. But I'm still glad that I followed Monocroms advice as to not taking anything with you that you can't afford to lose. There was no way I would take any of my SF incans or HDS twisty. Can't replace those.

rkJr

Enlightened
Just passed through the Airport in Cancun. While my lights and batteries drew some interest from the person running the scanner for carry on items. Nothing was confiscated. She studied the cr123's a little bit, along with my ZL H51w, H31, and Peak El capitan. Everything was good to go. But I'm still glad that I followed Monocroms advice as to not taking anything with you that you can't afford to lose. There was no way I would take any of my SF incans or HDS twisty. Can't replace those.

I just finished the 2nd of two trips in/out of Cancun. Nothing was said on either inbound trip and clearing customs into Cancun. On the 1st return they took issue with my CR123's i had packed in carry on. They were all secure but they said I had too many and couldn't return with all of them. made me throw away about 8 of the 24 batts I had packed. Again, nothing was loose but they didn't like it or a couple of AA's & AAA's had to go too.
On the 2nd return trip they didn't say boo about the same # of batteries. Just my luck I suppose....

Imon

Enlightened
Just my experience but I don't think airport security makes a huge deal out of flashlights and batteries.

I flew from DFW to Seattle and back twice this year each time carrying two Surefires (LX2 and 6P), my HDS Clicky, a Zebralight H31w, and my 4Sevens mini on my neck - all carry-on. Not to mention 4x17670s, 8x16340s, and 2 Li-ion chargers.

Instead they always make a big fuss over my Leatherman Style PS. I actually kind of feel bad and I think I should stop taking it on flights because it always backs people up.

jellydonut

Enlightened
Flown from Oslo, Amsterdam, Hamburg, Dubai, Bangkok, Chennai, Mumbai, Singapore, Jakarta, Brisbane and Darwin, and also into Saigon, Kuala Lumpur and Manila, in the past 4 years.

Not once has the flashlight even been glanced at.. (Malkoff MD2)

Status
Not open for further replies.