• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Aleph Build questions

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I think I'm ready to take the plunge & get myself an Aleph.

I have some questions though on whether or not I can get some of the options I want. So, here goes:

1. "HA Black" is pretty much the standard color on Aleph's, correct?
Are there any other colors available?

2. How easy is it to change out light engines?
Would someone with sweaty hands & fingers be able to do it with no tools?

3. I absolutely love amber/yellow LEDs. Can I get a Light Engine built around an amber Luxeon emitter? I'd want to have it be more of a flood than spot so I'd buy whatever bezel/reflector would give me a nice huge flood.
Which option would that be?

4. I'd also like a nice sweet HID tinted Lux III Light Engine. This would be for throw. So, I'm loving the Aleph III head but was also leaning toward the possibility of getting both the Aleph I & III heads.
Is the throw really that much greater with the III?
How much of the corona or spill light do I really loose by using the III instead of the I?
Do I need both or would just one suffice?

5. Can the Light Engines in both of the above situations be set to run on both 2x123's as well as a Pila?
What Pila is recommended ~ the 168S?
Would one body cover both options; the Pila and 2x123's?

Modders/Builders...please PM me with prices.
Everyone Else......please post answers/comments/suggestions here to help me out on this E X P E N S I V E endeavor. Thanks!

Kiessling

Flashaholic
1. in fact, it is HA dark slate gray, and it*s the standard. Some parts are available in HA-NAT, but not all. DOn offers some HAII "marble" colors, but you'd have to contact him on that or look at the "colored Aleph sale" thread.

2. very easy, I am doing it without tools all the time and needed pliers only once. Just in case ... you can use a piece of rubber on your fingers to increase friction and it'll come out.

3. yes you can. beam patterns with colored LEDs are not popular knowledge though, sorry.

4. big one. the lux readings are (roughly) doubled upon going from the Aleph1 to the Aleph3, and the corona is smaller with the three, but more powerfull --> more usable in low mode. The Aleph1 is the best compromise (size!) and is a very good thrower, the best in this size class.

5. the ideal driver for PILAs AND 2x123 is the Wiz2 driver, and it can run at 1000mA which is pently bright.

Beam comparisons:

rekombiluxIII.jpg

Aleph1:
relux327.jpg

Aleph3:
relux338.jpg

All pics with same exposure settings on camera and exact same LE. The reflectors are the only variables worth considering.

bernhard

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, Bernhard!

Hopefully, some of the Aleph builders will post on here soon as well! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/au.gif

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, I'll post.

What bernie said. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seriously tough. I'd go with the Aleph I first and if you need more throw then go with the Aleph III. The Aleph I is a beast in its own right. I'd also go with a Wiz2 running at about 1A, since you'll be using Pilas, or you could go for around 700mA for more runtime and almost as much brightness with less heat.

The only problem with using the Wiz2 is the low mode which gets a bit tricky. IIRC, you'll need around 7 ohms for use with the 2X123 and 4 ohms for the Pila 168S. I work it out on all of my builds and include two resistor PCBs.

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
You mean you're trying to talk me out of spending more $$$ ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

I'm considering both now simply because I've got the funds now and if I wait, I might not!

What about a LE with the amber LED? What options can you put together for me?
What white LUX III emitters do you have? I love HID tinted ones over anything else!

So, since you'd include 2 resistor PCB's, that means I would need to switch PCB's if I switch batteries, right?

Would 1 body fit BOTH 2x123's and the Pila 168S?
I'm kinda new to Pila's and newer to Aelph's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

dandruff

Enlightened
im not an expert but ill post anyways.

swapping light engines usually isnt a problem.

u said u wanted a flood beam in qn3. for that u will need an aleph 2:) more $$$ to spend haha.

I do not have an aleph 3 but my aleph 1 already is an awesome thrower for such a small size. so i would expect the aleph 3 to be mega.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello BudLightGeek,

I have an Aleph 3 (Lux III) and it works with both 2 x 123 and a Pila 168s. It is just a bit dimmer and goes into direct drive sooner with the Pila.

I prefer rechargeables (unlike Bernhard, but he seems to be coming around /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif ) and have decided to go with a little different approach. I have a Balrog BE4 headed my way. That will allow me to utilize 2 x Pila 168s. This will keep the 917 mA DownBoy working and give me "a few days" of run time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif If I need to go beyond that, I can just drop 4 123's in it and keep going.

I have a specific use for this light. I inspect equipment for flaws and cracks. Often there is a mix of ambient light and shadow. My L4 works great in dark conditions, but when the light level increases, it gets washed out.

I got an 8NX to fill this need and it works very well. The Aleph 3 is giving the 8NX a real run for the money.

If you think of checking out the shocks on your car in sunlight, you will get an idea of what I am talking about. The sunlight makes it hard to see in the shadows. To light up the shadows, you need some serious light.

The 8NX will put out more spill, but I think the Aleph 3 has a hotter hot spot. Since I am usually looking at a specific area, the hot spot is my primary concern. I am not sure if the Aleph 3 will totally replace the 8NX, but it can hold its own agains it.

The only issue I have with it is that the switch is a bit difficult to push. Darell built this light for me and we are working on this issue. This may have something to do with the way I hold the light and the lack of knurling on the body. I tend to hold the light with my last two fingers and the knurling is closer to the switch.

At any rate, the Aleph 3 is a serious thrower.

Tom

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Tom ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif right back at you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bernie

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
BLG,

If you are serious about putting a package together, PM me. I believe the Shoppe has some amber luxeons in stock. I'm getting ready to make an order for parts on Monday. I'm sure that I could put something together for you to include both the Aleph I and III. For that matter, at this point you could go for all three heads. I'm sure that I could put a package together for you. Just tell me what you want it to do and let me worry about the configuration.

If you go with a Wiz2, which would work great for going back and forth between 2X123 and a Pila, you should get what you're looking for.