Alkaline battery vented in MDC-AA

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Believe it or not modern alkaline have some power, not all, but yesterday i was experimenting with li ion 1.5v cells, and as a control i used few alkaline cells, energizer optimum, pulled 4+ amps, higher then all 1.5v li ion, which managed 2-3+A, rayovac high power alkaline pulled 2 amps max. a 4A load optimums barely got warm, while Rayovac's at 2 amps draw got quite warm over a minute.

Bob2650

Newly Enlightened
I have had an Energizer lithium AA leak and it destroyed a remote temperature sensor. Blue liquid that was worse than what leaks out of alkaline batteries. Very rare but very bad!

Last edited:

Bob2650

Newly Enlightened
Lazy, I guess. I used to live up in the Denver foothills where winter frequently got too cold for other batteries. I was in a habit of using the lithium primary batteries for the outdoor temperature sensor for my atomic clocks. Work brought me back to my home state of Texas so I don't really need the cold performance anymore. I had three of these clocks so I used a spare sensor with eneloops and change them out twice a year when I switch out the clock batteries.
I have never heard of eneloops or even tenergy LSD Ni-MH leaking. Have you?
Thanks
Bob

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lazy, I guess. I used to live up in the Denver foothills where winter frequently got too cold for other batteries. I was in a habit of using the lithium primary batteries for the outdoor temperature sensor for my atomic clocks. Work brought me back to my home state of Texas so I don't really need the cold performance anymore. I had three of these clocks so I used a spare sensor with eneloops and change them out twice a year when I switch out the clock batteries.
I have never heard of eneloops or even tenergy LSD Ni-MH leaking. Have you?
Thanks
Bob
No, but I haven't been looking for it.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW! Disappointing. Is there anything safe for our flashlights?
well nimh are probably the safest choice, they do leak, but it s not the same as alkaline, they ooze electrolyte, and it is not as damaging as alkaline leak, nor it happens nearly as often, i personally did not have any nimh cells leak, not that i remember.
Also do not discount the fact that there are plenty of fake eneloops around.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
well nimh are probably the safest choice, they do leak, but it s not the same as alkaline, they ooze electrolyte, and it is not as damaging as alkaline leak, nor it happens nearly as often, i personally did not have any nimh cells leak, not that i remember.
Also do not discount the fact that there are plenty of fake eneloops around.
I wonder if part of the reason Eneloop has their own chargers is due to other brand chargers damaging their cells.

Latest posts