Alkaline D cells

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Prolly been cover'd afore.

I'm (hopefully) about to recieve two Blaster 3Ps. I want to stick with alks in them, since I may not use them regularly enough to warrant rechargables.

Question is: which ones are best? Eveready, Eveready Gold, Energizer, Duracell, Duracell Ultra?

Is price a good rule of thumb? Is there something better? Keep in mind I live in the wonderful land of Oz, so I don't know how much US stuff is readily available down here.

Thanks in advance.

gwbaltzell

Enlightened
Seems like a simple question but its not. As you suggest a large infulence will be whats available. The two brands you metion dominate the US market. Energizer Corp.'s Eveready is not alkaline and should be avoided. Their next three in typical increasing cost order are Eveready Gold, Energizer, and Energizer e squared titainium will likely have only a small difference in flashlight use. Same way with Duracell and Ultra's. There is Ray-O-Vac, Sony, Toshiba, and Panasonic (which may be called National in your neck of the woods). Main thing is which will replace a flashlight damaged by leaking cells. This has once again become a problem that should have remained rare because of the construction of alkalines. Avoid zinc-carbon cells at all cost!

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
So is it worth the extra to get Duracells? Or Ultras? I've read some tests which all seem to say that these are the best readily available consumer batteries, but the conclusion seems to be that they're not worth the extra cost.

I don't know. I want something that will provide the current and have a fairly flat discharge curve (the Blaster is DD after all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif), but I don't want to pay too much if it won't get me any further.

Kiessling

Moderator,
they should not be worth it when a "power per $$" ration is concerned, but the question with alkalines is the leaking, and therefor I'd only go with well known brands.
bernhard

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. I guess I'll just go with a big brand alk that guarantees against damage to stuff.

Was that what you mean?

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
A flat discharge curve in a dd light will best be achieved with rechargeable nimh or nicad batteries.
I personally favor dd lights with rechargeable batteries because there is little waste and the light stays showroom strong for quite a while before the light output goes whirling clockwise down the toilet.
Even the lightweight cheap versions of them in stores will work and make the flashlight easier to carry and handle.
If you later discover you want a much longer runtime from rechargeables, then turn to www.batterystation.com , or www.amondotech.com .
Good luck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

edit:
Check with elektrolumens to make sure that rechargeables are ok with that light.

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, after just learning my Blaster 3P is waiting for me at home, i swung by Kmart at lunch and picked up a 4 pack of the Eveready Gold's for $3.99. hope they'll be okay.

if i decide to keep this light and keep it at DD, i'll probably end up getting some high-capacity NIMH's.....

buba

Newly Enlightened
I have had good luck with both the Eveready Gold's (Kmart) and Walmart's EverActive (Rayovac manufacture in the S.E. USA) alk D cell's. But I tend to pay the extra $1 at Walmart and get the 8 packs of Rayovac branded cells just for their replacement warranty.

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think they all have a replacement warranty. I bought some Duracell copper tops for the Blaster 3P, and they certainly do. A warranty for replacement/repair of batteries AND appliance if damaged.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Generally, it's recommended to buy the cheapest alks with a full warranty - just be sure to check the date on the cell and get the freshest.

I've had more Duracell's leak than Ray O Vac. Ray O is making some very active batteries these days. They supply a decent amount of current into heavy loads.