• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

ALL SOLD CQvn P60 - Solid Copper P60 Quad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mhgarcia114

Newly Enlightened
Re: CQvn P60 - Solid Copper P60 Quad

So let me see if I understand this correctly, the base is 4 xpg2 LEDs for 165$ so if I wanted to swap 2 of those out with xpl's could I do that?, and would it be 15$ for each one? What batteries would be ideal for power? One 18650? And also would I need a zero res tail switch or a mcclicky would handle this? Thank you

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast

So let me see if I understand this correctly, the base is 4 xpg2 LEDs for 165$ so if I wanted to swap 2 of those out with xpl's could I do that?, and would it be 15$ for each one? What batteries would be ideal for power? One 18650? And also would I need a zero res tail switch or a mcclicky would handle this? Thank you

Option K (in the very first post) is any combination of XP-L or XP-G2 LEDs you want...it adds $15 to the base price. That should be clear enough.

You need a high-drain battery, for sure, to get the most out of it. A Sony VTC5, a Samsung 25R, an Efest 2500 mAh (purple), etc. If you want a little less brightness, and a little more runtime, the NCR18650BD would also be a good choice. Or, if you want even more runtime, a high-drain 26650 would work even better, at the expense of added size.

There are options for switches...but the McClicky is not one of the better ones. It WILL fail given enough time...this drop-in draws much more current than the McClicky is designed to handle. A Zero Rez would work well, but gives you only momentary and twisty operation. Tofty ten amp switches are another good option.

ALL of this has already been covered, but hopefully this brief summary will help.

Mhgarcia114

Newly Enlightened

Thanks doc! I know everything has been covered and I've been reading as much as my brain can handle! Very new to flashlight mods just trying to understand everything so I understand exactly what I'm paying for. Your explanation was great and I appreciate it!

Mhgarcia114

Newly Enlightened

Thanks vinh! payment sent! Cannot wait to light some stuff up with this thing!!!

A.marquardt

Enlightened

I've been hearing from ALOT of members that Tofty isn't answering PM's for his 10 amp switch, which is the best option for the copper quad. Give me a PM for his email.

Last edited:

greatabpe

Newly Enlightened

:paypal:

Quad XML 5700k

ML>Low>Med> High: Memory

$180 sent last night through Paypal. I also emailed you a few questions.

Transaction ID # 1B916882WX2530202

scottinarctic1

Newly Enlightened

Is there anyone that puts together a finished product with the correct host,switch for 18650 battery. I just dont have the knowledge or time to learn all the intricate details that make it safe to use. Price is really not an issue as I know it will not be cheap. Any ideas ?

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast

Is there anyone that puts together a finished product with the correct host,switch for 18650 battery. I just dont have the knowledge or time to learn all the intricate details that make it safe to use. Price is really not an issue as I know it will not be cheap. Any ideas ?

This is an enthusiast product (even more so than Vinh's average mods), and no matter what combination of parts you use, it is up to you to know about the potential issues with lithium-ion in general, and heat management in this particular drop-in. This is not for the uninitiated...I submit that if you can't spend the time to figure out exactly what you want, you might be better off with something else anyway. Just my two cents.

Edit: I just looked at your sig...you already have a number of high-powered lights, so I'm not sure what you meant by "make it safe to use". I would hope you already know the basics, and are looking for the optimum parts for performance, rather than worrying about safety...which is it?

scottinarctic1

Newly Enlightened

So true, I do want optimal performance with ease of use. I just was looking for the right combination of switch, host and heat dissipation that some else has tested to be safe and performs like a typical Vinh Superlight.

justindfish

Newly Enlightened

I'm sure it's here since where but I didn't see it. Are these direct drive on high?

A.marquardt

Enlightened

So true, I do want optimal performance with ease of use. I just was looking for the right combination of switch, host and heat dissipation that some else has tested to be safe and performs like a typical Vinh Superlight.

If money is no objection, I've personally gone for the solid copper Cryos Illumination head, body, and tail, with a modified Tofty 10 amp switch. That's probably the best heat sink combination in the world, plus the light is just plain gorgeous.

Last edited:

ike1985

Enlightened

GUys,

I want to get a CQvn 4xXPL.

Questions:

How long can it run on high?

How is the stepdown to medium, is it significant?

How much would I be looking to spend if I want to go mid-grade on all the other parts(I have nothing).

What is the current status with the tail switches, is this light even doable without the proper tailswitch that won't burn up?

jonwkng

Flashlight Enthusiast

GUys,
I want to get a CQvn 4xXPL.
Questions:
How long can it run on high?
How is the stepdown to medium, is it significant?
How much would I be looking to spend if I want to go mid-grade on all the other parts(I have nothing).
What is the current status with the tail switches, is this light even doable without the proper tailswitch that won't burn up?

Hey Ike,
First things first. Get the CQVn drop-in first! This sales thread will be closed once Vinh run out of those Quad boards. You can piece together your P60 host at your leisure later.

I honestly have no idea how much heat these drop-in's can take. But they get ridiculously hot on high very, very quickly. Remember Vinh's take on lights getting too hot to hold. :caution:

High is direct drive - you'll be hitting 9-10A on the XP-L Quad. Medium at 3A. That's a significant step-down, I guess, but I find Low and Medium are what I usually use. High is just for dropping jaws and lighting up football fields, albeit momentarily. :p

My suggestion is to get at least a Cryos cooling bezel, in copper if possible. That should work well with SolarForce parts. There's no escaping the heat build-up in this drop-in.

Stock McClicky switches cannot take the 9-10A that the XP-L drop-in draws on DD. Hmm... Sure it would be do-able if you confine use to just ML-L-M. But that defeats the purpose of this drop-in. If budget is a big issue, you could do a spring bypass and hope for the best, or as it has been discussed before, get a Tofty switch or ZeroRez. I'm using ZeroRez in both my CQVn and usually use it in purely momentary mode.

Hope this helps. :D

Edit: The CQVn drop-ins now use DriverVn. The modes I mentioned are for the old driver. :p. Apart from the mode options available for the DriverVn, it is DD on max output.

Last edited:

ike1985

Enlightened

Hey Ike,
First things first. Get the CQVn drop-in first! This sales thread will be closed once Vinh run out of those Quad boards. You can piece together your P60 host at your leisure later.

I honestly have no idea how much heat these drop-in's can take. But they get ridiculously hot on high very, very quickly. Remember Vinh's take on lights getting too hot to hold. :caution:

High is direct drive - you'll be hitting 9-10A on the XP-L Quad. Medium at 3A. That's a significant step-down, I guess, but I find Low and Medium are what I usually use. High is just for dropping jaws and lighting up football fields, albeit momentarily. :p

My suggestion is to get at least a Cryos cooling bezel, in copper if possible. That should work well with SolarForce parts. There's no escaping the heat build-up in this drop-in.

Stock McClicky switches cannot take the 9-10A that the XP-L drop-in draws on DD. Hmm... Sure it would be do-able if you confine use to just ML-L-M. But that defeats the purpose of this drop-in. If budget is a big issue, you could do a spring bypass and hope for the best, or as it has been discussed before, get a Tofty switch or ZeroRez. I'm using ZeroRez in both my CQVn and usually use it in purely momentary mode.

Hope this helps. :D

Edit: The CQVn drop-ins now use DriverVn. The modes I mentioned are for the old driver. :p. Apart from the mode options available for the DriverVn, it is DD on max output.

Sounds like too much trouble for me:
very little time on high(which is my fav mode for most lights)
Issues with overheating
issues with tail switch

I'll pass, the 9xpl SC200 is probably better anyway with all those issues and brighter.

Dingle1911

Enlightened

Vinh, I am not sure if I am too late. If not I would like to purchase a copper quad with 400, $185 would be the total if my math is correct. Could you please confirm that you still have the components to build the drop in and I will send PayPal. Thanks.

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am sooooo glad that i managed to snag one on discount during the charity sales!

Status
Not open for further replies.