Alternative battery pack for 3D Mag85?

AMD64Blondie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a 3D Mag85,currently running a 9AA NiMH battery pack. Would it be possible to replace the NiMH AAs with lithium AAs? (I know I'd need a regulator designed to stepdown the voltage,but that's OK.)

In short,is there a non-rechargeable battery option for my Mag85?
(Reason I'm asking is,I just replaced my bulb and the light won't light up.I don't know if it's the batteries or not.)

VegasF6

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you just trying to see if the bulb is bad? Simplest way would be to check continuity with a meter.

I don't see any reason you couldn't try and power it with alkalines if it is just a test. It certainly won't be as bright, but I don't see how it could harm anything. I dunno, maybe over an extender period it could be tough on the bulb.

Possible you could try it from a 12V SLA battery, but I think that would be pushing it. Lux's destructive tests showed flash at 12.3 volts. Maybe with a 50 watt resistor :) Or perhaps a 5 amp diode?

Perhaps I am just misunderstanding your goal.

mdocod

Flashaholic
You need a multi-meter to isolate where the problem is. Use continuity check on the bulb to see if it's blown, on the contacts of the bi-pin adapter to make sure the pins are making contact within the adapter, when use the voltage measuring capability to check the pack and see if you are getting voltage at the pins, if you are, then you need to test the switch by installing the pack and VERY carefully checking to see if you get voltage up through the switch. (accidentally shorting between the 2 probes would be a good way to destroy the switch, lol....)...

Don't test the 1185 on 9 lithium AAs, it may very likely pop the bulb, and don't run it on them either, drain rate probably higher than ideal for those cells...

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I do in cases like these is to pop in 3 alkaline D cells.

If all is well, the bulb will light up weakly.

Enough for testing purposes.