Alternative for "high-end" flashlights...

Longbow

Enlightened
Alternative for \"high-end\" flashlights...

High performance, durability, long battery life, excellent ergonamics, waterproof, lifetime guarantee, and inexpensive. The Streamlight 4aa Luxeon is all these things and more. Only Helen Keller would fail to be impressed. When I think of all the time and money I've wasted perusing and buying expensive flashlights, I could cry, if it wasn't so dammed funny. <font color="blue"> </font>

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
Re: Alternative for \"high-end\" flashlights...

Yeah, Streamlight really seem to be on a winner with this one. I'm gonna get one, but don't think I'll stop coveting expensive lights too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jayman

Newly Enlightened

Got mine last week and was blown away by how bright and white this luxeonI light is. It's the whitest and brightest of all my lights and throws the furthest too, and I've got a T3, Q3 and electro lumens hyper blaster.

paulr

Flashaholic

This is a polypro and it's regulated? Wow I've been wondering about that light. Anyone using it on rechargeables?

Edit: hmm, it claims 4 runtime hours on 4 aa's... that sounds like it's running the led at 3 watts or more, and it says it's a 1 watt led?! And it's a plastic body, I wonder how it deals with the heat. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

http://brightguy.com/detail.php?Sku=STR68244

gadgetnerd

Enlightened

Paulr, have a look at Quickbeam's review on flashlightreviews.com. He was also initially concerned at heat dissipation, but it actually does not appear to be a real issue.

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast

I bought the light in the 'loud yellow' version just so people would notice it, pick it up, and turn the light on. It does surprise a lot of people. They look at me and I tell them that the light is not one of my expensive ones.

The SL ProPoly Lux is wonderful.

83Venture

Enlightened

Everything I have heard so far is very favorable on this light and I am planning to get one in the future. Right now am waiting for my buddy to get back from the sandbox this week and see which of the lights I sent over with him are coming back.

sniper

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Longbow said:
High performance, durability, long battery life, excellent ergonamics, waterproof, lifetime guarantee, and inexpensive. The Streamlight 4aa Luxeon is all these things and more. Only Helen Keller would fail to be impressed. When I think of all the time and money I've wasted perusing and buying expensive flashlights, I could cry, if it wasn't so dammed funny. <font color="blue"> </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Longbow: Sooo, how does it compare head to head with the UK 4AA eLed? I know it has less run time, but if it is that much better, I'll probably buy one.

Longbow

Enlightened

Sniper, the UK 4aa eled is a desireable flashlight because of it's 13 hour runtime. The SL Propolymer 4aa Luxeon, (3 1/2 hour runtime), is M-U-C-H brighter. Plus I like the switch on the SL. I didn't care for the switch on my 4aa eled.

paulr

Flashaholic

Anyone using the Streamlight on rechargeables? For that matter, how about on lithiums?

sniper

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Longbow said:
Sniper, ... I didn't care for the switch on my 4aa eled.

[/ QUOTE ]
Longbow,
Yeah, that is the one thing I don't like about my UK eLED, too. But,it is only a minor inconvenience at best.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have been using rechargeable Energizer's 2300 mAh batteries with no problems. Using the Streamlight 4aa Propolymer at work, daily.

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast

Funny, I think the Streamlight switch on the tail end (this is the same as the 7LED right?) is pretty lousy...

Mark

gadgetnerd

Enlightened

Just to muddy the water - I really like the thumbswitch on the UK eLED, I find it comfortable and easy to to momentary/constant, and it's a nice positive switch that shouldn't switch on accidentally.

That said, I'm really keen on getting the streamlight propoly lux. Is there anyone other than Brightguy selling them? Their insistence on using UPS express for international deliveries adds $50US to the price of the light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Longbow

Enlightened

Minjin, either the switches are different or you've got a "bad" switch.

DimBeam

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Longbow said:
Sniper, the UK 4aa eled is a desireable flashlight because of it's 13 hour runtime. The SL Propolymer 4aa Luxeon, (3 1/2 hour runtime), is M-U-C-H brighter. Plus I like the switch on the SL. I didn't care for the switch on my 4aa eled.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like the switch on the UK 4aa eled either. In fact it is the reason the flashlight sits unused.....it is a poor design.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast

Have you guys taken a look at this new review:
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/xtremelite_dlx-014aa.htm
Its $40 (twice the price of the UK) but with the multiple brightness settings via a magnetic switch this one might blow the rest of these submersible 4AA polymer lights out of the water (pun intended /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Interesting light! Looking at Quickbeam's review, the light takes about 30 minutes to reach a steady state output and go "flat". Given the presumed drive level of the LED based on both run time and lux reading, it would seem that Streamlight has figured out how to manage thermal issues that have required metal mass and components previously. It would be interesting to know what the die or heat sink temperature is after the first 30 minutes of runtime. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

paulr

Flashaholic

I'm not crazy about the UK4AA switch either. It didn't turn on by accident when I tried it, but I found it somewhat hard to press.

I wonder why the Streamlight Luxeon output is higher during the first few minutes. My guess is it's because of the lower temperature. I hope it's not because of the cell voltage, because that means lithium cells would overdrive the thing considerably.

I'm not sure about the thermal issue. Streamlight in the past has tended to run LED's to near self-destruction (4AA 7LED ProPoly) so maybe this is more of the same. I wonder if there's a way to nondestructively measure the heat sink temperature while the light is running or immediately after a long run. Of course someone willing to compromise waterproofness could maybe drill a hole through the side of light to stick a probe in. I guess the hole could be filled with thermal glue afterwards, so maybe I'll make the sacrifice.