Alternative for www.flashlightreviews.com ?

22hornet

Enlightened
Now that flashlightreviews is no longer updated, what website do you consult to learn more about merits and downsides of a flashlight ?

Thusfar I haven't found a true alternative and really feel lost:awman:.

Is there really no way Flashlightreviews can carry on? Maybe someone should take it over and continue it in the same way?

Joris

Last edited:

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Craigs site was there before flashlightreviews.com and I am sure he will be there long after flashlightreviews.com is gone.
In fact it was Craigs site that hleped me get into this hobby. It leed me to CPF. I was reading craigs website long before cpf was around ..I think.
Yaesumofo

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think anything will really replace it or even come close, but Chevrofreak does a really really good job at runtime graphs and with his output numbers as well. The only thing lacking is a site where all of his reviews can be accessed.

dartworth

Newly Enlightened
Ok..I see now...

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Dec 26, 2006: FlashlightReviews.com and the Author are going into semi-retirement in the new year. Review samples will only be accepted and reviewed by very special invitation and will be few and far between. Email to the author may not receive a reply. I'm sorry, but my full time job, family, and a waning interest have taken their toll and as a result I will not be updating FlashlightReviews.com very frequently from now on. The web site will remain running and available as long as funding is available via donations to pay the server costs.[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]FlashlightReviews.com is, and always has been, a one-man-show. It has been my hobby and has kept me busy, and my readers entertained (I hope) for over 5 years now. I truly hope that the information everyone has gained from this site (and that new readers may still gain) has been helpful and useful.[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Come back and visit once in a while - the Recently Reviewed lists above may have an occasional addition, or a new brief article may be added when you least expect it![/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]- Doug P. [/font]

metalhed

Enlightened
As I've posted in the fine print on my homepage, as soon as I have the necessary equipment and get a chance to play with it a little, I'll be writing in depth reviews and publishing them regularly to FlashlightNews.

I know that it will take a lot of effort (and a long learning curve, probably) to even come close to the thoroughness and comprehensive nature of Doug's reviews. He really has become a master at writing fair and informative reviews. I know I already miss my regular fix of Doug's reviews and hope he still gives us the occasional morsel to be satisfied with.

I do have some ideas for the reviews that are a little different than what FR has done, but not too different. Hopefully just different enough that folks won't think I'm ripping Doug off or anything like that. That's the last thing I want.

With a little luck, later this year I'll have several acres of land to use for outdoor beamshots and additional types of flashlight testing...but we'll see how it goes. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on that part.

Anyway, I'll probably post the first review within the next several weeks, depending on when equipment arrives and my ability to purchase several lights to begin testing.

I'll start a thread in the reviews forum when I finally start publishing the suckers. :popcorn:

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
metalhed said:
As I've posted in the fine print on my homepage, as soon as I have the necessary equipment and get a chance to play with it a little, I'll be writing in depth reviews and publishing them regularly to FlashlightNews.

I know that it will take a lot of effort (and a long learning curve, probably) to even come close to the thoroughness and comprehensive nature of Doug's reviews. He really has become a master at writing fair and informative reviews. I know I already miss my regular fix of Doug's reviews and hope he still gives us the occasional morsel to be satisfied with.

I do have some ideas for the reviews that are a little different than what FR has done, but not too different. Hopefully just different enough that folks won't think I'm ripping Doug off or anything like that. That's the last thing I want.

With a little luck, later this year I'll have several acres of land to use for outdoor beamshots and additional types of flashlight testing...but we'll see how it goes. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on that part.

Anyway, I'll probably post the first review within the next several weeks, depending on when equipment arrives and my ability to purchase several lights to begin testing.

I'll start a thread in the reviews forum when I finally start publishing the suckers. :popcorn:

That sounds great. Big shoes to fill and all, and I salute you for being willing to take it on. :thumbsup:

Pax et Lux

Enlightened
I don't think Flashlight Reviews is gone. . . I think Doug just lost interest in reviewing average lights. He'd been hinting towards this for sometime.

I also think that box of 20 Coast lights that landed on his doorstep sometime towards the end of last year pushed things to this point. . .

And I'd bet he'll be inclined to write about the sort of lights that interest people that come here. If he was offered the scoop on the new Cree Surefires do you think he'd refuse?

blake711

Newly Enlightened
Pax et Lux said:
I also think that box of 20 Coast lights that landed on his doorstep sometime towards the end of last year pushed things to this point. . .

Oh man that would drive a person over the edge. Reviewing 2 coast lights let alone 20 coast would drive anyone mad. YUCK..

Last edited:

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
FlashlightReviews.com is not gone folks. I'm still here and so is my site. It is, however, semi-retired; meaning that I am not going to do regular reviews and have become very selective in the reviews I will do. I need a lot more time for me, less time for lights.

Upcoming is a review of a hand-squeeze light being made using similar technology to the "fake" hand squeeze light I found at a sporting goods show last year, but with rechargeable NiMH cells as power storage. Why would I choose to review this one? Because it is going to be marketed as an emergency light and for the Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, etc. I want to make sure it stands up to it's claims. Especially considering all the crapola "self-powered" lights out there.

Also, the Rexlight 2.0 will be reviewed when received, I am waiting for the latest iteration of the WiseLED Tactical to arrive, and the LumaPower M1 XR-E will receive a formal review.

So you see, reviews are forthcoming, but they will be fewer and further between so that I have time to do everything else in my life that I need to do. I've already refused about a dozen or so lights for review - the ones I mention above are it for now. Let me tell you, I'm really enjoying the time off!

And by the way, Craig and his site got me into reviewing and introduced me to CPF as well. He also warned me about how chaotic it can get, and he was right.

Now the big question is, what do I do with all these older lights that I have no use for and no need to keep.... (Oh boy, that'll open a big can of worms!) :p

Doug P.
FlashlightReviews.com

Last edited:

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doug,

It is great to hear that you're going to stay active, even if it's on a more limited basis. It sounds like a good way to do it, and I hope it gives you the time you need for your real life!

Looking forward to your reviews of the Rexlight and the M1 XR-E. Thanks for hanging in there with us!

C4LED

Enlightened
Quickbeam said:
Also, the Rexlight 2.0 will be reviewed when received, I am waiting for the latest iteration of the WiseLED Tactical to arrive, and the LumaPower M1 XR-E will receive a formal review.

Now the big question is, what do I do with all these older lights that I have no use for and no need to keep.... (Oh boy, that'll open a big can of worms!) :p

Excellent! Looking forward to the Rexlight 2.0 review.

Don't know what to do w/those lights...? :whistle: :)

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Yea, it was Craig's site that got me started, too. If you can't find info anywhere else you'll likely find it there.

Geoff