Alternative to Duracell Mobile Charger?

Light Sabre

Enlightened
I bought one of the Mobile Chargers today. The blister pack smells like ammonia on the outside and turpentine on the inside. The charger itself smells like turpentine, but I only notice it when I got less than a foot or two from it, and it wasn't too bad at all. The warmer (longer it runs) it gets the further away you can smell it. Seems to work like a charm so far. Doing some tests on it to make sure it's on the up and up. So far so good. Definately 4 separate channels. Battery temps were no higher than 125F. Had 3 batteries on the charger. 2 finished early and 1 finished a long time later (it's a suspect battery). The right off the charger voltage for the 1st two was 1.41V. The suspect battery (last to finish) was at 1.45V. So it doesn't look like it will overcharge a battery. If I remember right it charges at 500ma and goes into trickle charge after that at around 10-12 ma or so. Will see how it does overnight and if I don't seen anything wrong or suspect about it, then I will go buy a couple more.

Last edited:

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up a Mobile Charger at Walgreens today. Haven't opened it yet, but no odor whatsoever externally. Safeway also had two left on the peg at $23 each. Funny thing is, all their other "dumb" Duracell chargers were 50% off for quick sale, but this "discontinued" charger was the only one still at full pop.

I have two I've used for a couple years. I've never been able to get the USB to charge or power anything. It just starts flashing and shuts down. Is that because with four NiMH it doesn't have enough voltage? Do you have to put in four lithium or alkalines to get 5 volts out of the USB?

Last edited:

flasherByNight

Enlightened
Quasi Jacking...
How does the Duracell version match up to the equivalent Eneloop version.
Which is "better"? (Does it matter if I only have eneloop batteries?)

Marduke

Flashaholic
The USB power is picky with respect to the device. Certain products have propritary methods (like the Razr phone, and other Moto products) and a "generic" USB cord won't work. It works fine with my iPhone however.

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought one of the Mobile Chargers today. The blister pack smells like ammonia on the outside and turpentine on the inside... The warmer (longer it runs) it gets the further away you can smell it.

I picked up a Mobile Charger at Walgreens today. Haven't opened it yet, but no odor whatsoever externally.

I stand corrected! I picked up the other two I saw at Safeway. Today I opened all three, and OMG, what is that smell? :sick2: Smelled like some toxic kitchen cleaner you'd keep locked away under your sink to keep from scrambling the kiddies brains. Running warm at full tilt, they work just like Glade Plug-In's, but not so nice. My first two from a year and a half ago definitely did not have this smell, so the Chinese must have found a new secret ingredient to mix in with their products.:whistle:

I can't seem to find any mention of what type of warranty this Mobile Charger has. Anybody know off hand?

Shimon

Newly Enlightened
I'll probably look around tomorrow and see if I can find another Duracell mobile charger... I originally bought mine a while ago for $30 at Staples. The one I currently have says the model on the back is CEF23 and came with 2 AA and 2 AAA duracell branded Eneloops. I remember when I purchased mine it didn't smell.

I also saw on this thread that this Maha C9000 (POWEREX MH-C9000 Charger?) was recommended, but wasn't keen on all those options. I'm assuming if I can't find a duracell mobile charger easily there isn't a comparable one that I could buy at a B&M store?

Marduke

Flashaholic
I'll probably look around tomorrow and see if I can find another Duracell mobile charger... I originally bought mine a while ago for $30 at Staples. The one I currently have says the model on the back is CEF23 and came with 2 AA and 2 AAA duracell branded Eneloops. I remember when I purchased mine it didn't smell.

Are you sure? That package to my knowledge always came with Durahybrids. Only the package with no car cord and 2xAA came with Duraloops.

Shimon

Newly Enlightened
Yup, when I was searching for the duracell mobile charger, it gave me 2xAA and 2xAAA. I haven't used the 2xAAA so they're still in their plastic container.

On another note, I went to two walgreens, one safeway, two staples, two targets, and one bestbuy, and none of them had them anymore! :( The targets had these duracell/energizer value chargers, and this rayovac charger... I really wish that I bought two of those duracell mobile chargers at staples when I had a chance.

I found a link to where they're selling what looks what I bought at Staples - although I don't know if I should trust any of those sellers since it's not from Amazon... :\

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XSA5WW/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Are you sure? That package to my knowledge always came with Durahybrids. Only the package with no car cord and 2xAA came with Duraloops.

Last edited:

brted

Enlightened
The Sony knock-off Soshine SC-C3 charger was mentioned one time as being an acceptable cheap charger. Any experience saying otherwise? It is available at Lighthound and DX sku.6152 ($13). You have to supply a US cord for it though.

e_dogg

Newly Enlightened

Mine came with 2xAA precharged batteries with black tops (not Duraloops). However, Vons did have the white-top Duraloops and were on sale for about 1/2 price.

On another note, I went to two walgreens, one safeway, two staples, two targets, and one bestbuy, and none of them had them anymore! :( The targets had these duracell/energizer value chargers, and this rayovac charger... I really wish that I bought two of those duracell mobile chargers at staples when I had a chance.

From what I understand, none of those are a good alternative.

I found a link to where they're selling what looks what I bought at Staples - although I don't know if I should trust any of those sellers since it's not from Amazon... :\

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XSA5WW/?tag=cpf0b6-20

I saw those listed on Amazon before and was hesitant too. In fact, there was one Amazon seller listing the Mobile Charger for $113!!!

In another thread, Mr. Happy posted this Toys R Us link to the Mobile Charger: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2930896&CAWELAID=155322665

And there are lots on Ebay.

I guess buying online is about the only alternative if you can't find one locally as it seems like there really is no good alternative charger in B&M stores now.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess buying online is about the only alternative if you can't find one locally as it seems like there really is no good alternative charger in B&M stores now.
I'm quite happy with the older model Power Gauge charger, which can possibly be found in Big Lots right now.

e_dogg

Newly Enlightened
I'm quite happy with the older model Power Gauge charger, which can possibly be found in Big Lots right now.

Ahh, yes, I forgot that you mentioned that one too. I think I saw that one in Von's (aka Safeway) when I got my Mobile Charger.

Also, the Big Lots near me didn't have anything in the way of chargers. Only a bunch of Rayovac alkaline batteries.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, the Big Lots near me didn't have anything in the way of chargers. Only a bunch of Rayovac alkaline batteries.
My local Big Lots had the chargers in a separate section near the checkouts rather than with the other electrical stuff in the aisles. I've never looked there before so I've probably missed a few bargains along the way.

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
My local Big Lots had the chargers in a separate section near the checkouts rather than with the other electrical stuff in the aisles. I've never looked there before so I've probably missed a few bargains along the way.

+1. I was about ready to walk out of the store when I looked around the last corner of a kiosk right before the check out lines, full of 99 cent flashlights and butane BBQ lighters, for Pete's sake!

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
...I went to two walgreens, one safeway, two staples, two targets, and one bestbuy, and none of them had them anymore! :(

From what I understand, none of those are a good alternative.

Hey, if someone is near one of those, it's worth a shot. I just found two at Pak-n-Save (aka Safeway) and one at a Walgreens, collecting dust tucked behind a peg full of the Value chargers. I wasn't keen at having to pay full pop for them, but you know what they say about beggars and choosers. I guess it averages all out to my favor, as looking at my receipt for the two I bought a year and half ago, I got them on sale at Walgreens for $8.49 each, less $3.00 Duracell coupon each, so only $5.49 each! For the five total it averages out to $16 each, but it comes with $6 worth of Duraloops, so it was more like $10 for each charger. Sorry, I'm just trying to rationalize having five of these chargers, aside from the 25 LED candles I need to keep batteries charged in!

Just wish that top slot, near the charging circuitry, didn't get quite so hot. Some of my old La Crosse and X1 batteries get over 125 degrees in that upper slot. Blowing a fan on the cells cools them right off, but as with my BC-900's, active cooling of the cells prevents charge termination.

BTW, the six Duraloops cells included with the three chargers were manufactured June 2007. They were between 1.292 and 1.297 volts out of package. Initial discharge capacities out of package were: 1456 mAh - 1393-1448-1446-1478-1480. They topped out after only two charges at: 2020-1982-2010-2000-2020-2060. Not my strongest performing Duraloops, but neither are they the newest, so all is forgiven!

Last edited:

Shimon

Newly Enlightened
I went to another Best Buy, two more Walgreens, and one Big Lots. I didn't see the mobile charger, but saw three of these Duracell Power Gauge Chargers at Big Lots and I vaguely remembered the name on this thread so took a chance and bought it anyways.

I'll probably just call the ToysRUs 10 miles away and see if I can buy it there, otherwise I'll have to order online the mobile charger at ToysRUs since I like the USB capability and it being a wall charger.

Latest posts