Am breathing nichia!

trailhunter

Flashlight Enthusiast
vG9YOsZ_d.jpg

vwZQR5g_d.jpg
Great collection nichia - love the worms!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Nichia!

Banned
Hhhhaaa

Of course I have 3000k nichia B in my collection I actually have more than 20 lights with this led!

trailhunter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I cant find the spectrum plot atm
here are some beamshot comparisons

the light in the middle is the sw40 9080
HPPK0i5l.jpg

the light in the middle is the sw40 9050
YrjoBsLl.jpg
Slider, u need 219b sw30 to complete your photo :)

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Bright_Light

Newly Enlightened
I cant find the spectrum plot atm
here are some beamshot comparisons

the light in the middle is the sw40 9080
HPPK0i5l.jpg

Thank you so much for posting this pic, Jon. I was almost going to preorder the new M61 219B V3 until I saw this. I have the original M61L 219a that Craig did and that is my preference. I shined my M61L 219a light on a white wall right next to this pic and it matches almost exactly what the 219b 4500k 9080 looks like. Now I can clearly see the 4000k 9080 is too warm/red for my liking.

The hunt for a P60 dropin for my bored 6P continues. I bought that bored 6P in the summer of 2012 lol

mattw

Newly Enlightened
I am a huge fan of the 219b sw40 r9080. I have maybe 20+ lights that I have modded around that led. The latest was an FW3A and it looks great, do not need blistering turbo but want the wonderful high in full regulation! I have never been able to get ahold of the 4500 sw45k, it looks to be a wonderful tint as well. My very other very early FW3A with the SST-20 4000k emitters has a very good tint as well, not sure of the binning on that one. Low modes with it are not horrible green compared to the D4V2 with 4000k SST-20's.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Slider, u need 219b sw30 to complete your photo :)

you were right! :)
I love my sw30 option, it has replaced my sw35 9080 on my nightstand

the 4000k 9080 is too warm/red for my liking.

I feel the same way
I prefer my sw45k to my sw40

my tendency is to carry sw45k as EDC day and evening

but I also like a Warm option on the nightstand, which is an entirely different white ballance use scenario

Does this help?

ITYKLmw.jpg

yes:)
I have great respect for your contributions

I also get similar results when I shine my sw45k and sw40 on the ceiling in the evening, and compare them to my 3000k incandescent house lighting

its totally different during the day, thats when the pink tint becomes evident
wNfigAq.png

the reason I love the sw45k is that it does not look yellow during the day, but as your photo shows, sw45k, and also sw40 are both cooler than incan

another thing Ive noticed is that my sw35 when compared to incan, is just slightly cooler, so seems "whiter".. somewhat similar to what your sw40 shows

everything is relative to ambient white balance..

I cant say there is just one LED for all scenarios, I need at least Two, or Six.. :)

for me, many different LED CCT can work, in many scenarios.. they may look cooler or warmer than ambient at the time, and I tend to make compromises based on my most frequent anticipated use case, brain white balance

I like sw35 "better" than sw30, If I compare to Incan, but that is for that specific use case

I still smile every time I shine my sw30 on the ceiling, even during the day.. it just makes me smile, and reminds me of a beautiful warm orange sunset. But sw30 would not be my first choice to use outside, in the sun, to illuminate the engine bay of my car..

choices for horses.. lol

Last edited:

Bright_Light

Newly Enlightened
I feel the same way
I prefer my sw45k to my sw40

my tendency is to carry sw45k as EDC day and evening

but I also like a Warm option on the nightstand, which is an entirely different white balance use scenario

Yeah, I love my M61L nichia 219a 4500k 9050. I'm never going to sell this dropin. It would be awesome if we could get a batch of them with the 219b sw45k LED.

Thank you to everyone on this thread for your contributions. I'm a lurker and I truly appreciate it.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
nichia 219a 4500k 9050.... 219b sw45k LED.

glad youre enjoying High CRI

fwiw, I was suprised to see how different the tint of those two LED is, when compared side by side

Watch out for Tint Snob Disease, it starts with comparisons,
it can escalates to $kinny Wallet Disease,
where you had been perfectly happy moments before comparing

HDS is so aware of this, they devote a whole subject category to it. They say it is a bad idea to "cross the beams".
I think they are mistaken :), from a vendors perspective, LED comparisons increase sales :)

that said, here is a comparison of a triple 4500k N219a 9050 and a 4500k 219b 9080 sw45 (the sw45k is even more pink)
GQqNq0X.jpg

Last edited:

Bright_Light

Newly Enlightened
glad youre enjoying High CRI

fwiw, I was suprised to see how different the tint of those two LED is, when compared side by side

Yeah, I noticed this pic and my 219a 4500k doesn't appear to be near that warm/pink/red.

When I first got the dropin (2012) it appeared warmer when I first started using it. It seems to have had a "breakin period" where it got cooler after about 12 hours of use. I read about this on the forums years ago that a LED can get cooler with time after using it. I believe someone else noticed this as well with their nichia 219a dropin.

Great stuff and thanks for all the pics.

EDIT: Here's the thread where someone else noticed the burn in of the the Nichia 219a 4500k 9050 LED CLICK HERE

Last edited:

bluemantra

Newly Enlightened
I hate to resurrect an old thread, but I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on the niche 219b vs the new 319a high cri led

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Quark with the 319a 4000k 9xCRI looks quite similar in light output to some of my SST-20 4000k 95cri lights. Which, IMHO, is a good thing. Lacks the pleasant rosiness of the 219b but gives a soft, balanced tint and color rendition and is much better than 219c and simply blows the majority of LH351D emitters away. I would not rate it as green at all, seems pretty dang close to the BBL.

It may be a bit floodier in the same reflector than the SST-20, which seems to result in a pretty tight beam pattern when I do emitter swaps. Not as pronounced as the LH351D (which seems to match the old XML in floodiness).