Amilite T5 weird switch issue.

LA OZ

Enlightened
Joined
Nov 30, 2006
Messages
835
Location
Melbourne, Australia.
It may or may not be an issue but I have not come across anything like it before. When I leave the light off for awhile and turn it on, it flickered for a few seconds before it became stable. One other observation was that when I turned it off the LED dimmed slowly. The only way I could explain this is that the light has a capacitor inside. Does this happened to your T5?
 
Last edited:

pilou

Enlightened
Joined
Jun 13, 2006
Messages
540
The slow dimming was mentioned in reviews as well and it is likely just due to the regulation circuitry duischarging. The initial flickering may mean you need to clean contacts. I also vaguely remember someone doing something to the spring. Sorry for being so vague, you can probably search through the few T5 thread around.

So did you get the 15 or 30 lumens version? :)
 

Gannz

Newly Enlightened
Joined
Feb 18, 2007
Messages
75
LA OZ said:
When I leave the light off for awhile and turn it on, it flickered for a few seconds before it became stable.

pilou said:
The initial flickering may mean you need to clean contacts. I also vaguely remember someone doing something to the spring. Sorry for being so vague, you can probably search through the few T5 thread around.

This is Amilites response to the spring/flicker...

"It seems that the tailcap spring is slightly cocked to one side when the tailcap
is screwed out and in.
Would you try the spring back into the central position ?
If you do so, I think that it will work fine."

It works but, IMO, the spring is too narrow. I think a wider and stiffer spring would eliminate the cocked problem and also hold the battery in place better. On the plus side, the soldering is really nice.
 
Last edited:

LA OZ

Enlightened
Joined
Nov 30, 2006
Messages
835
Location
Melbourne, Australia.
pilou said:
The slow dimming was mentioned in reviews as well and it is likely just due to the regulation circuitry duischarging. The initial flickering may mean you need to clean contacts. I also vaguely remember someone doing something to the spring. Sorry for being so vague, you can probably search through the few T5 thread around.

So did you get the 15 or 30 lumens version? :)

I got the 15 lumens version. I compared it with the Stainless Steel Civictor with a Li-ion AA battery. The 15 lumens is almost the same as low level on the civictor. The high is 1.5 time the brightness of the Civictor to my eye but probably more with measurement. I was surprise how white the beam was compared to the Civictor. The 15 Lumens is plenty of light. It is too bright for me at close up in the night.
 
Top