Amondotech CR123 Battery Question.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only had a 4 pack that a friend gave me, so I'm not sure if my experience is characteristic of these batteries. But I've noticed a significant decrease in voltage on these cells after the slightest load is put on them. Initially, I thought these cells were self-discharging, though that does not appear to be the case, perhaps I just got a bad batch.

Anyway, I had a couple of these in a cheap light (Maxfire LX) that was sitting around and not had much usage. I checked it about a couple of weeks ago and noticed that the output looked kind of dim. I measured the voltage on both batteries and they were around 2.8 volts. I took the other two batteries that were still in the shrinkwrap and measured the voltage to be around 3.2V. I put those two batteries into a SL TL-2, used them for about 5-10 seconds and noticed it dim. I replaced the batteries with the Streamlight batteries that had been in that light for almost 3 months and had some usage under their belts (they still measured 3V). I then measured the voltage from the Amondotech Titanium batteries (yes, they're the current ones with PTC) and to my surprise, after just a couple of flashes, the voltage on those batteries had dropped to 2.8 volts as well.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't noticed any significant dimming with my Titanium cells. When I get home from work today, I'll test a few on my DMM and post the results.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, here are my results:

Duracells very drained by a SL Argo HP (accidentally activated...):
2.4 and 2.5 volts each

Titaniums with about 0.5-1 hour of use in the Argo HP:
Between 2.9 and 3.0 volts each
Voltage without load: 5.9V
Voltage under load in Argo HP: 5.5V

Titaniums, new in package (poked probes through shrink wrap)
3.2V each

I hope that these readings are helpful to you. I can tell you that I haven't experienced problems with Titaniums yet, although I haven't been using CR123As for very long.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, it kind of simulates my experience though draw from a Xenon bulb (~1.3A) would be a bit more and would be a bit more of load on the battery. The 3.2V is also what I got before the batteries were used. I was just surprised that they would drop to 2.9 or less after about 10-15 seconds of use, and that Duracells and Streamlights seem to maintain a higher voltage even with more usage.

TigerhawkT3 said:
Well, here are my results:

Duracells very drained by a SL Argo HP (accidentally activated...):
2.4 and 2.5 volts each

Titaniums with about 0.5-1 hour of use in the Argo HP:
Between 2.9 and 3.0 volts each
Voltage without load: 5.9V
Voltage under load in Argo HP: 5.5V

Titaniums, new in package (poked probes through shrink wrap)
3.2V each

I hope that these readings are helpful to you. I can tell you that I haven't experienced problems with Titaniums yet, although I haven't been using CR123As for very long.

InfidelCastro

Banned
When measureing with a voltmeter, I've noticed that Titaniums seem to have a lower starting voltage than other brands I have. Could have just been the batch I got, but that seems to mirror your experience.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, in addition to the voltmeter, it was pretty similar in a flashlight as well, the output between two Pelican M6s showed a distinct difference between the used Duracells and the new Amondotechs (the old Duracells were brighter.) The only other 2x CR123 lights that I have where I own more than one is a pair of Dorcy Spyders (they have really old Duracells in them) but I suppose I could compare those as well.

Since I only had a 4 pack, it's no big loss (especially since they were given to me,) but I can't see as where I would develop any inclination to buy them.

InfidelCastro said:
When measureing with a voltmeter, I've noticed that Titaniums seem to have a lower starting voltage than other brands I have. Could have just been the batch I got, but that seems to mirror your experience.

Latest posts