an/vss1 problem

chinkaroo

Newly Enlightened
My light has worked great untill the other day. Now for whatever reason, the light has started to strobe on me. I have checked all the conections and dried the same with contact cleaner. The batteries are fully charged and the generator puts out the proper voltage. Anyone who can advise me on this, I would be greatful. The last thing I need is a 230 lbs paper weight. Danny [chinkaroo]:mecry:

BVH

Flashaholic
The bottom multi-fingered contact is where my problem was when I first got the light. No visible corrosion/dirt or anything. But I took the bulb out, cleaned it anyway, stuck it back in and all was fine. My problem was not strobing though. The light just wouldn't light. Just in case you're not aware, the bulb contains about 66 atmospheres of pressure which I believe is around 970+ PSI so be careful and wear protection.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember being with Larry (tvodrd) when his light strobed from low voltage. Check ALL high power contacts. A rubber eraser is a good tool to clean brass contacts, they also make slightly more abrasive rubber with an abrasive contact cleaners.

Whatever you do keep it dry and free from foreign matter.

Spray cleaners rarely remove oxidation and that kind of stuff effectively. A cotton clothe and some de-oxit type cleaner would be the best bet.

Last edited:

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
The port man was there. I didn't have a DMM along and don't know what voltage caused the VSS-3A to start stobing! When I got home, I recharged both deep-cycles, and everything was fine. Remember, these things are intended to run on 28V with the tank's engine running.

I seem to recall several reports of getting VSS-1's running after cleaning the lamp's contacts. Be careful handling the suckers- too many accounts of them being grenades if broken! I've only run mine a couple minutes, so grab a saltshaker!

Larry

Latest posts