Anduril UI, ultra newb, your first time, starting with the bare bones basics.

richbuff

CPF Supporter
Supporter
Is that the right link? What the link says and where it goes seem to be two different places.
The link is all good. Small representative sample of the webpage contents:

"Lumintop FW21 Pro
Firmware: Anduril / cfg-fw3a.h
Year: 2020"

By the way, lively, current, comprehensive discussion about making major changes to the default Anduril interface is now happening somewhere out there in another location.

vinhnguyen54

CPFBA
Have we talked about how to fool the temp sensor so we can run light hotter yet? I wrote the instructions but I forgot where I post it.

richbuff

CPF Supporter
Supporter

chillinn

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feature_creep

I watched in silent horror at the development of Anduril and previous renditions. I have seen this scurrying of activity before and since, in the community development of not just interfaces, but flashlights in the same part of the Internet, and here at CPF with makers innocently asking for feedback causing invariably the loudest with the least need get heard, and the result is for the extreme minority to have a feature no one else will use but will nonetheless have to deal with, and I have seen it in the development of chargers packed with too many things, increasing complexity and reducing durability. Usually, this is seen in software and hardware development, the pressure being the need (for profit and growth) to sell the same thing back to the consumer that already owns the previous rendition.

IMO few community developed anything is worth anything. The best art, the best engineering, and the best consumer product comes from unrelenting unyielding perfectionist tyrants working alone or at the top of their own hierarchy.

richbuff

CPF Supporter
Supporter
Have we talked about how to fool the temp sensor so we can run light hotter yet? I wrote the instructions but I forgot where I post it.

Hi Vinh, ToyKeeper posted this content a few hours ago, at the other stargate of the flashlight forumosphere:

"ToyKeeper wrote:
Current temperature is menu item #1. Temperature limit is menu item #2. It's recommended to not bother with that menu at all though. Just let the light settle to room temperature and do a factory reset. (loosen tail, hold button, tighten tail, hold button for ~4s until it does a bright flash) That should auto-calibrate the sensor and set the limit to a reasonably safe temperature. The menu isn't really necessary unless you want to raise the temperature limit."

I replied over there: " "let the light settle to room temperature" Thank you for this tip. Question: What if I do the factory reset while the light is hot? And conversely... ... ... What if I do the factory reset while the light is at frigid temperature? Which one of these two scenarios will raise the temperature limit?"

My thinking: Can the temp sensor be fooled by doing a factory reset while the flashlight is hot and/or frigid cold?

pilo7448

CPF Supporter
I've dealt with temp sensors for refrigeration and a/c and those are set to a certain temperature. (cannot trick these types) but I'm curious if it's possible with a flashlight temp sensor.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

ZebraCraig

Re: Anduri UIl, ultra newb, your first time, starting with the bare bones basics.

Rich, first and foremost, you should be commended for the time, energy, effort and dedication that was put into laying out the "bare bones basics" of the Anduril flashlight UI in such a manner. It makes for an excellent jumping off point for anyone seeking to understand the labyrinthine workings of this product.

But honestly, the mere fact that such an effort is required almost perfectly encapsulates why I want nothing more to do with Anduril, Narsil, Gollum, Bilbo or whatever other Middle Earth inspired, community developed UI is due to come down the pike next. Two of my last four purchases from Vinh have been tossed in the junk drawer because of this amateur hour nonsense. My Noctigon K1 completely changes modes all on its own while shut off. Even locking out the tail cap doesn't help. In the morning it will have smooth ramping - in the afternoon it will suddenly be stepped. The next day, the ramping will max out at only 50% of full output. Why? Who knows? But I spend more time with this light doing factory resets than I do illuminating things. And my BLF GT mini is almost completely useless at this point. It now possesses only two levels - turbo and firefly, with nothing in between. And as a bonus, it steadfastly refuses to be factory reset. That's plenty enough for me, thanks.

If you can just give me turbo, firefly and maybe three evenly spaced levels in between, I'll be a happy camper 99.95% of the time. If you really want to go crazy, throw in a strobe every now and again. But there are no words to express how little interest I have in custom programming ramping levels or 'thermal regulation step down temperatures' on my flashlight. Please understand that I'm not saying I want these UIs to completely go away. I have no doubt there are plenty of flashlight enthusiasts who take great masochistic pleasure in living with such arrangements. All I'm asking is that flashlight manufacturers give the rest of us, folks who favor reliability over complexity, the ability to opt out of these ridiculously complicated UIs. It's to the point now where you can't even give one of these lights as a gift to a non flashlight enthusiast.

That's almost exactly what I was thinking. I took seven years off from even looking at new flashlights since my Zebralight has been serving my purposes perfectly. I returned to see many quite inexpensive flashlights with Anduril. They seemed too complicated to be practical - yet their low prices and unique configurations were tempting. The Emisar KR1 was tempting me because I thought it would be nice to have a small 18650 thrower stowed on my kayak while paddling in the intercoastal waterways for those "just in case moments." But now, I think I'll pass. If it can't be trusted then why drag it around just to have it fail exactly when it's needed?

I ended up at this thread because I was trying to decide if I wanted to learn/use the Adruril UI. My curiosity stops here. Turbo, Firefly, with 3-4 steps in between is all that's needed. And easy to remember :)