Animal ID with throwers

mickb

Enlightened
Hi fellas, just considering a level of light above my normal requirements for long range spotting things and animals at night. If I take something like a Javelot 2 at 2500lumens and 200,000 CD will I be able to see a pig or human on a hillside at night at 500 yards or so?

Feel free to tweak the numbers of the spotlight you might suggest but didnt want to go larger than 21700 2 x 18650 type thing. Also what has the most CD at these battery levels?

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi fellas, just considering a level of light above my normal requirements for long range spotting things and animals at night. If I take something like a Javelot 2 at 2500lumens and 200,000 CD will I be able to see a pig or human on a hillside at night at 500 yards or so?

Feel free to tweak the numbers of the spotlight you might suggest but didnt want to go larger than 21700 2 x 18650 type thing. Also what has the most CD at these battery levels?
Check out a Convoy L21A with the Osram LED

I recorded 320,000cd with mine. Good UI and great quality.

As for ID'ing things 500 yrds, away. Could you in daylight? I suspect that might be a challenge without some binos......

Last edited:
Reactions: hsa

fulee9999

Enlightened
check out the Malkoff Hound Dog super, it's rated to 1500+ feets, 2x18650 size ( but you can use a smaller body for it ),so should be in the ballpark:

or if you're really serious about seeing into the distance, there is always the SureFire UDR DOMINATOR:
( 200.000 candela as requested )

with these you don't restrict yourself to olight batteries, and with the Malkoffs you can even mix and match parts to fine tune for more runtime or more portability

1500 feet is a bit over a quarter of a mile (0.45 kilometer). At this distance, unaided human vision starts to bump up against the limits of the eye's image resolution limits, at least insofar as small animal identification is concerned (although big game ought to be easy enough to identify). The original poster specified humans or pigs as the target at 500 yards, both of which I imagine can be readily identified (not much chance of confusing the two).

It's not my intent to highjack the thread, but for me the more interesting aspect of this premise is the human perception component. That noted, assuming that feral pigs are legitimate game in Oz, and further assuming (without any evidence whatsoever) that the OP's intent is to hasten said pig's ultimate and final demise, my hat's off to the OP if he can deliver a lethal shot at that range at night. :cool:

thebarefooter

Newly Enlightened
check out the Malkoff Hound Dog super, it's rated to 1500+ feets, 2x18650 size ( but you can use a smaller body for it ),so should be in the ballpark:

or if you're really serious about seeing into the distance, there is always the SureFire UDR DOMINATOR:
( 200.000 candela as requested )

with these you don't restrict yourself to olight batteries, and with the Malkoffs you can even mix and match parts to fine tune for more runtime or more portability
Are there any reviews or comparisons of the hound dog super to other quality thrower lights? I've gotten back into the hobby after a number of years and thinking about the hound dog super but can't find much online which is surprising. I was thinking about a complete Malkoff after being happy with my M61WLLL, M61-219 and M61 surefire drop-ins for years.

mickb

Enlightened
It's not my intent to highjack the thread, but for me the more interesting aspect of this premise is the human perception component. That noted, assuming that feral pigs are legitimate game in Oz, and further assuming (without any evidence whatsoever) that the OP's intent is to hasten said pig's ultimate and final demise, my hat's off to the OP if he can deliver a lethal shot at that range at night. :cool:
Thanks for the assumptions and congratulations but I am not doing either.

LED1982

Newly Enlightened

If it's a specialized use like identifying one animal that's far away, then maybe a pencil thin beam is ok (I'm also thinking that a pencil thin beam could fit situations where you're worried about blinding people, but you're not positive where people are)…

fulee9999

Enlightened
Are there any reviews or comparisons of the hound dog super to other quality thrower lights?

to be frank there is not really a competition to the hound dog super... It's basically an old Maglite 2D format with the throw of an airliner headlight, fairly niche product. People tend to just buy it, put it on their rifles, or use it as an upgrade to their mags, and live happily ever after.
It's big, bulky, but you can use it as a bludgeon if need be, all the while you can light up targets hundreds of yards away.

Only the E2XT has competition, but that's a different form factor. That has a fairly similar throw as the Hound Dog puppy, the HD18650, but in a much thinner body.