Announcing AmondoTech HID N30 & Preview The AmondoTech HID L35 --N30's Have Arrived!

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
Announcing AmondoTech HID N30 & Preview The AmondoTech HID L35 --N30's Have Arrived!

12-13-2007
The N30 is avialable now at-

Batteryjunction.com in the Amondotech products section

----------------------------------

I have been working on a project for over a year now that involves two new HID spotlights.
They will be known as the Amondotech HID N30 and the Amondotech HID L35.
This has been another volunteer effort on my part and I have been involved with this project from the original artist renderings. For all intensive purposes Amondotech is the manufacturer of these lights in the same way that Nike is the manufacturer of it's shoes. What I mean by this is that Wayne has paid the tooling costs so these lights can exist in exchange for a world wide exclusive for marketing them.
Before I get to the specs. I want to say that N30 stands for NiMH 30 watt and L35 stands for Li-Ion 35 watt. The N30 should be available in early May. We have all of the electronics done for the Li-Ion but are seeking further improvements for what will be the "high end" model. All of the changes are minor, but minor changes can take time so I will not make a prediction as to it's availability yet. We hope for six months, but time will tell.
For now here are the specs

N30
Color - Light (close to Hunter)Green
35 watt HID 3200 lumen 4200K bulb driven at 30 watts.
70+ minutes run time from 13.2 Volt 3600 mAh NiMH pack.
( I generally get 80+ minutes from a full charge, but we are only going to state 70+ in the manual)

LED handle light with 7 - 5mm LED's These are rated at 15,000-20,000 mcd.
3 1/2 in reflector. 4 3/8 in head
3 1/2 in body diameter
9 1/8" long
3 lbs 8 oz
This light is not weather resistant but can be made weather resistant by the end user in a few minutes.
Easily removable battery back with a built in charger and battery level/charging indicator. The packs can be charged in or out of the light.

L35
Color - Dark (AI color) green
Specs we have finalized
35 watt HID 3200 lumen 4200K bulb driven at 35 watts
90+ minutes run time from 14.8 Volt 4200 mAh protected Li-Ion pack.
( I generally get 95+ minutes from a full charge, but we are only going to state either 85+ or 90+ in the manual)

LED handle light with 7 - 5mm LED's These are rated at 15,000-20,000 mcd.
3 1/2 in reflector. 4 3/8 in head
3 1/2 in body diameter
9 1/8" long
3 lbs 1 oz (The final weight may change slightly)

The features we are still working on relate to the body material, type of lens, weather resistance, etc. All of these are minor but take time. So that is why I cannot give an availability date for this model yet.

Before we get to all of the lux readings 37' 7", light box measurements, comparison photos, etc. I will give you the prices.

N30 - $148.75
This is a semi-introductory price as Wayne will keep it at this price as long as he can.
Extra NiMH batteries $49.50 each
Availability for N30 and NiMH batteries should be early May.

L35 - I am sorry but since we are working on refinements we cannot give an exact price.
I guarantee it will be OVER $245 and we hope to keep it in the $245 - $325 range.
Each of the refinements we want to make for our "high end" model do come with a price.

The Li-Ion packs should be in the
$85-$105 range.
Once again, these are ONLY TARGET PRICES for the Li-Ion model.
I will give exact details when we have that model ready to be released.

Before I go any further you will notice that the Li-Ion model has slightly lower readings and a slightly different beam pattern then the NiMH model. This is due to the slight variations in the bulbs in terms of brightness and how they focus in the reflectors. I left the bulbs in the lights they came in for the integrity of the announcement thread. When I switch bulbs the Li-Ion model is slightly (emphasis SLIGHTLY) brighter then the NiMH model with the same bulb. Light meters and cameras can pick this up, but it is hard to see a real noticeable difference in use between the Li-Ion model at 35 watts and the NiMH model at 30 watts with the same bulb and reflector.

Lux at 37' 7" this is not an arbitrary distance but the longest straight stretch in our small house. I have done lux readings at this distance with other lights not in this announcement thread so I will include them too for comparison.
Costco HID (good focus)----------7590
Costco HID (okay focus)----------5650
AI Proto 6000K HID---------------3401
15 MCP Thor Magnum-------------3326
AI 4200K---------------------------3204
Polarion P1-------------------------2558
X990 Spot-------------------------1963
N30--------------------------------1943
L35---------------------------------1752
10 MCP Thor Focused-------------1567
10 MCP Thor Stock----------------1486
Dorcy 3 MCP-----------------------1053
X990 Flood-------------------------977

Next the light box readings.
First a description, the light box is designed to take into account ALL of the light coming from these different spotlights. The numbers are good for relative comparison of total light output (Spot, Corona, and Spill) from one light to another. The readings I took cannot be used to say one light is more efficient at putting the light from the bulb out the front end then the other.

In order to do this I would have to test each bulb in the box first and then each light. I did do this with my 4200K Illuminator for an example, the bulb properly mounted has a reading of 1087 and the 4200K AI has a reading of 824. In other words the total amount of light coming out of the AI (Spot, Corona, and Spill) is only about 75% of the total light output of the bulb.

Because TOTAL light output is being measured, the box makes no determination as to which lights have the most useable beams for any given purpose. That is what the photo's are for.

Light box readings

N30------------------------------------1131
L35------------------------------------1033
X990 Spot---------------------------1005
X990 Flood---------------------------935
AI 4200K------------------------------824
Polarion P1---------------------------759
AI 6000K------------------------------692
Costco---------------------------------720
10 MCP Thor------------------------365
Just for fun I did the following but did not write the numbers down so this is roughly what I remember.
LumaPower 5 watt DX1------------33
Nightcutter M60L 5 watt------------20

When I told these results to a friend that is a Polarion fan he said it seems the box favors lights with a wider beam. My answer to that is this tends to be the case with rooms in general. This box was not built to favor any one light. The only light in the test with an adjustable beam, the X990, actually had a lower reading on flood then spot by 70 lux.. The reason for this has a simple explanation. When the X990 goes from Spot to Flood The reflector actually moves forward about 1/8" of an inch. This puts the bulb farther back into the light. All other things being equal the bulb that is farther back cannot get as much of it's own not reflected light directly out of the spotlight and into the box.
The L35 and N30 have Reflectors designed to produce LOTS of bright spill while still giving decent throw and having a decent sized corona. The tops of the bulbs are VERY close to the lenses so much more of the bulb's direct light can illuminate a box or room.
It does not matter whether the lights are in the box or a room, the L35, N30, and X990 light rooms brighter and more evenly then the other 35 watt lights in this thread. That itself does not make them better spotlights. For that matter the bulbs of each of the lights alone will light rooms more evenly bright then in any of their given spotlights. I guess you could say rooms in general are designed to give preference to light with wider total light output (spot, corona, and spill) and even more preference to lights with spherical bream patterns :D .

The Polarion P1 is designed to throw more light down field in a wider corona then the others. I say different designs for different purposes. My goal with the little lights was to have light weight, decent quality, very versatile little HID lights and I believe the photo's will demonstrate that I succeeded. The reason for lots of bright spill is so the lights could have one fixed focus that is suitable for many circumstances. The spill is not only very bright, it is almost 180 degrees. The idea was to have a light that could be used to light an area like a camping space or yard when needed and still have plenty of throw for most circumstances.
Now for the Photos.
My Canon S2 IS was set at 6" f3.5 for all of the shots. I prefer using the camera on auto white balance so that when taking pictures in the distance you can see the effect of the different color temp bulbs on what you are trying to Illuminate. The 6000K lights really do look that blue at long distances and the 4200K bulbs really do have that greenish hue to them. Yes, The 10 MCP Thor really does look that muddy brown at 310 yards

The first photos are of an old truck water tank that is 310 yards away from the spot the lights are shining from. I could not do these shots in summer because the tank had too much dust on it and there was brush that was grown around it so between the dust, dirt, and dry brush around the edges it was hard to see during the day and REAL hard to see at night.
BVH and I were lucky because it rained two days before we did the photo shoot. As a result the tank was clean, the new brush is still green and not fully grown back yet, and the ground around the tank was still darker then when completely dry . Unfortunately these are also the photo's that I messed up in terms of focus.

AI6000KLong.jpg

AmondoTech 6000K prototype (Sam's)
------------------
AI4200KLong.jpg

AmondoTech Illuminator 4200K
------------------
X990SpotLong.jpg

X990 Spot
------------------
X990FloodLong.jpg

X990 Flood
-----------------
P1Long-1.jpg

Polarion P1
----------------
35LLong.jpg

L35
---------------
30NLong.jpg

N30
----------------
10MCPThorLong.jpg

10 MCP Thor

In these next photos we are shooting at a light spot on the wall by the road 138 yards away. Our original target 130 yards away washed away in the rain. Do not only look at the beams across the canyon, but look at the edge of the hill immediately in front of the camera and watch how it changes from shot to shot. The hotspots were all very carefully focus on the spot on the wall. However, HID hotspots are quite often not perfectly centered in their corona's so it will give the appearance that the lights are focused in slightly different positions.

Both the 310 yard shots and the 138 yard shots were chosen to give an idea of the performance of the hotspots and corona's at distance.

AI6000KMed.jpg

AmondoTech 6000K prototype (Sam's)
--------------------
AI4200KMed.jpg

-------------------
X990SpotMed.jpg

X990 Spot
-----------------
X990FloodMed.jpg

X990 Flood
------------------
P1Med.jpg

Polarion P1
------------------
35LMed.jpg

L35
------------------
30NMed.jpg

N30
-----------------
10MCPThorMed.jpg

10 MCP Thor

Now for the short shots. We are aiming at a bright spot on the wall that is 70 yards away from the lights. These shots are for the purpose of showing the spill of the different lights.

AI6000KShort.jpg

AmondoTech 6000K Prototype (Sam's)
-----------------------
AI4200KShort.jpg

----------------------
X990SpotShort.jpg

X990 Spot
----------------------
X990FloodShort.jpg

X990 Flood
---------------------
P1Short.jpg

Polarion P1
--------------------
35LShort.jpg

L35
--------------------
30NShort.jpg

N30
---------------------
10MCPThorShort.jpg

10 MCP Thor

By now you all may want to know what these lights look like.
Here is the group that was used in the photo's
TheGroup3.jpg

---------------
TheGroup2.jpg

---------------
TheGroup4.jpg

Here are the 4 small lights next each other
4SmallF.jpg

----------------
4SmallR.jpg

---------------

Originally I hoped to have the Throw of a 10 MCP Thor in a much smaller package. These lights clearly out throw a 10 MCP Thor while also putting out much more light overall. They are a bit smaller too :D .
3Front.jpg

----------------
3Top-1.jpg

---------------
3Rear.jpg

---------------
Now for some more detailed photos of the L35 and N30
ThePairF.jpg

----------------
ThePairS.jpg

----------------
ThePairR.jpg

----------------
The Battery comes out with a pull twist pull sequence so it stays very secure.
Actually you depress the side buttons simultaneously with your right hand.
Then tap the back of the handle against your left hand and the battery starts to pop out. Then you pull it till it stops and twist it counter clockwise till it stops.
Then you pull it out the rest of the way.
It all takes just as few seconds.
BattOut1.jpg

--------------
BattOut2.jpg

--------------
BattOut3.jpg

The bulb is held in by two sheet metal screws that are screwed into threaded protrusions in the back of the reflector. This is not the most elegant design but it works.
MountScrews.jpg

--------------
ThreadedProtrusions.jpg

These are clearly not Polarion's or XeRays (I am still planning on getting an X1), but they are nice little dual lights. With the LED portion being in the 105,000 mcd - 140,000 mcd range they are nice for lighting paths when walking at night, tents when camping, etc.. Then when you need it, the HID portion is ready for delivering loads of light for hundreds of yards.

Once again
AmondoTech HID N30 $148.75 1 year Warranty
Spare batteries $49.50 each
Availability should be early May.
Wayne does not do pre-sales or anything like that.

AmondoTech HID L35
We are working on it and will finish it when the N30's are in production.

I have a huge job starting Monday that is need to get ready for so I will answer questions as much as possible.
Do not bother emailing Wayne as this has been my project and he would not know the answers.

Take Care,
mtbkndad :wave:

PS. I plan on putting one of my new N30 samples into the raffle at the So Cal. get together
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=153482

Last edited:

roadie

Enlightened
Re: Announcing AmondoTech HID N30 & Preview The AmondoTech HID L35

:goodjob:

hope to own them one of these days :)

nice pics also :grin2:

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very nice light for the market "niche" you intended. It should do very well.

Good work, Congrats.:goodjob:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

Hmmm....well let's see.....let me say something constructive....nice HID in a small economical package. I guess I was expecting something that blew away the Illuminator from your earlier hype & the street pictures.

There will be a niche market for these.

CLHC

Flashaholic

Now we're talking! Looking forward to its debut. . .Thanks for the info Sir Dan! :wave:

MikeF

Enlightened

:sold: :takeit: :paypal:
Does that make me first in line?

dduane

Newly Enlightened

Great HID. Looks tempting as my first HID. Is the HID part seperate from the LED. Can the HID part stand alone/ can I remove the LED and the 2 brackets linking the LED to the larger HID for a smaller package? It looks like the LED is wired thru the brackets to the battery.
THANKS

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast

XeRay,
Thanks for the compliment. I figured with Polarion and XeRay serving the high end it would be good to have a couple of truly small and useable HID's for the camping/outdoor and HID spotlight enthusiasts who are on a budget.

LuxLuthor,
These do beat the AI hands down in terms of small size, low weight, and therefore useability in a practical sense. They are more versatile then a Barn Burner in terms of things like reading in a single person tent at night :D or quick battery changes, and run time multiple quick change batteries can give. The photo's in the other thread were accurate and I do appologize if you feel they steered you in the wrong direction. I did mention that a Barn Burner on the same street would light the garage much better. But for maximum throw you need the big lights either in watts or reflector size, both, or in the case of the Polarions(Helios, X1, and P1 )expensive perfect little reflectors.

MikeF,
If I do a early arrival private announcement with these through PM's and emails like I did with Illuminators then yes you are first in line :thumbsup: .

dduane,
The LED and HID parts are all one unit.
There is a switch for each.
The switch on the right is for the HID and the switch on the Left is for the LED.

CHC,
You should carpool down with some other Nor Cal members and you can see these next weekend, it would be great to visit again.

Take Care,

That_Guy

Enlightened

No offense, but these lights look very uhh... weird. Very strange to see such a tall thin light.

What socket does it use? Is it proprietary, H7 / standard halogen automotive or D2S? The light is Chinese made so it's obviously less reliable, but also much cheaper so for the most part it's worth it. eg. a OEM quality ballast would probably cost an extra $100, but likely wouldn't offer any additional reliability for the number of hours most people will be using this light for (<100).

My main complaint regarding the choice of Chinese components is the bulb. As your pictures show and as you've said yourself the Chinese bulb doesn't perform as well or as consistently as the OEM bulbs used in the other lights. A good quality OEM bulb (Philips 85122) costs less than $40 so it would add very little to the overall cost of the light ($20 - $30) which is well worth it for the added performance and reliability IMO.

One interesting thing in your post is your lux measurements which can be turned into candlepower. Converting the feet to metres and then squaring it gives a number which when multiplied with the lux readings gives the candlepower.

Your measurements in candlepower:

Costco HID (good focus)----------996 007
Costco HID (okay focus)----------741 428
AI Proto 6000K HID---------------446 300
15 MCP Thor Magnum-------------436 458
AI 4200K-------------------------420 449
Polarion P1------------------------335 677
X990 Spot------------------------256 597
N30------------------------------254 972
L35-------------------------------229 908
10 MCP Thor Focused--------------205 631
10 MCP Thor Stock----------------195 002
Dorcy 3 MCP----------------------138 181
X990 Flood------------------------128 208

CLHC

Flashaholic

mtbkndad said:
CHC,
You should carpool down with some other Nor Cal members and you can see these next weekend, it would be great to visit again.
I would very much like to, but this coming weekend (Saturday March 17 2007) I have another get-together with the Single Malt Scotch (no blends please) fellows, whereupon I'm the one bringing most of these 750ml bottles (16 different ones) + two dozen varieties of 750ml bottles of Cognacs! ! ! :huh:

I'm sure there'll be lots of pictures that we all can enjoy viewing at the SoCal get together in Griffith Park. Thanks for the invite!

Enjoy! :wave:

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

That_Guy said:
What socket does it use? Is it proprietary, H7 / standard halogen automotive or D2S? The light is Chinese made so it's obviously less reliable, but also much cheaper so for the most part it's worth it. eg. a OEM quality ballast would probably cost an extra $100, but likely wouldn't offer any additional reliability for the number of hours most people will be using this light for (<100).

My main complaint regarding the choice of Chinese components is the bulb. As your pictures show and as you've said yourself the bulb doesn't perform as well or as consistently as the OEM bulbs used in the other lights.
Where did he say these are Chinese made lights and Chinese HID bulbs/ballasts? I'm not saying you are wrong, but I didn't see that in his write up.

mtbkndad - Yeah, I agree there are advantages to its small size, price, and light weight. It was just not what I was expecting for an announcement. I would think using a spotlight with a 90 min run time for reading in a tent is not a good thing to promote as its use. An LED...in fact one of those $10 book page clip on LED lights with their very long run time is the way to go for reading.

For other portability uses while camping, it would be handy. If That_Guy is correct about these being Chinese made, or using Chinese HID components however, that just took it down the ratings scale IMHO, in terms of reliability and longevity as a knee-jerk reaction. Again, I'm not sure where he read that.

Last edited:

brightboy

Newly Enlightened

My feelings towards the shape are the opposite of That_Guy's. I think the tall, thin shape is awesome - I remember thinking that when I saw the silhouette blow-up in the original posting. I was thinking, "I like how that handle sits high above that little reflector." A big contrast to the fat, bulky HID lights in this price range, with reflectors over-radiusing the body.

And the little LED light in the handle is a great little suprise, I definitely didn't expect that. Definitely allows this light to do more in day-to-day use.

BVH

Flashaholic

I think there's going to be a lot of people jumping on these lights. On first look, they were quite unusual looking and something I would probably not pay too much attention to on a shelf in a store. But as I handled them and saw their performance, they quickly grew on me. When I think of the amount of HID performance I'm going to be getting for the price, I think they are fantastic lights at a bargain price. I am one who buys lots of lights and uses them very little. (That doesn't mean that I don't thoroughly enjoy having them) I hesitate to use my expensive lights as tools (even though they are) where they might get damaged. To me, these are TRUE "grab & go", throw around, carry everywhere, use all the time, very handy, throw one in the trunk of both cars, inexpensive but Bright HID (& LED, in the same light) lights. They fit very well in the hand. I'm not going to worry about scratching them or using them as the tools they are. They are lights I will have sitting around in different areas of the house that I will frequently actually use. I don't think of these as competition to the Polarions and Xerays. I see them as "down in the trenches", everyday use work lights. I will be buying at least one of each.

rufusdufus

Newly Enlightened

MTNBKNDAD,

Well done.

I hope you have used a universal charger with these.

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast

That Guy,

The light has to be a little "tall" if the LED portion is to be useable and the handle is to have a nice size.

Regarding the reliability of the lights they have a 1 year warranty and when you look at all of the "unreliable" Chinese HID's in use Costco's, HarborFreights, AI's, many of the Costco's have been in use for close to two years. The "unreliable" Chinese made bulbs and ballasts have been proving to be pretty reliable in these spotlights.
The bulb is an H series bulb I just need to look up which one as I do not remember off hand.
Yes there is more variation from different Chinese bulbs then a Philips, but I also think an additional $30 is a lot when the total light price is $148.75. That $30 is a good way toward a spare battery pack. If somebody is on a budget a spare battery pack may be more useful then the Philips bulb.

LuxLuthor,

Yes these are Chinese made, that is why they are $148.75.
That is why I said AmondoTech is the manufacturer in the same way Nike is the manufacturer of its shoes ... .
Also because Amondotech has paid the tooling on these so they are not just buying and reselling existing lights.
Another example would be the 5.11 HRT's I am wearing right now that are made in China.
I certainly was not hiding anything as I figured the very low price would make that fact self evident.

Of course I am not recomending using the HID portion in the Tent :crackup:.
That is what the LED handle light is for and it will give a LOT more then 90 minutes of run time and will light the whole tent quite well.

Remember that I also mentioned these are not Polarions or XeRays.
They are not intended to compete with them either.
As I mentioned before I still plan on getting an X1.
It is the most packable 35 watt HID I have seen to date.
I have a very specific and rugged purpose for the X1 I plan on getting.
My size requirements and the rugged use are number one considerations for me. The light output of the N30 and L35 would be fine, but they cannot compare to the X1 for ruggedness and packability.
Of course a bulb for the X1 cost's more then an AmonTech HID N30 :crackup: .

As XeRay rightly stated earlier, these are made for a certain niche within the larger niche of HID spotlights. They will probably introduce a lot of people to HID's that would have never considered them otherwise because up until now the inexpensive HID's were too big and heavy and the light weight sub 4 lbs 30+ watt HID's in a in lantern/spotlight style bodies start at $1795 and go up from there.

Take Care,

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast

rufusdufus said:
MTNBKNDAD,

Well done.

I hope you have used a universal charger with these.

The battery packs are truly smart pacs as the charger is built in and complete with a trickle charge.
The power supply for the N30 is 110.
The power supply for the L35 will be universal. That is one of the upgrades we have required.

We wanted to keep the price of the N30 absolutely as low as possible.

Take care,

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very nice.

looking forward to the L35. Since the price of the L35 is higher than the N30 is there any plans for using a "better" bulb?

Thanks

Curtis

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast

cue003 said:
Very nice. looking forward to the L35. Since the price of the L35 is higher than the N30 is there any plans for using a "better" bulb?

Rebased to H series Philips bulbs do exist. They buy the burners or D2S bulbs from Philips Taiwan or Europe and modify them to an H series base (Probably H3 is used here.) Rebased Philips burners are no longer easy to find but they do exist. Many bulb sellers claim to use the Philips burners but most are fakes. If I were AT, I would offer a true Philips burner H based as an upgrade option.

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast

mtbkndad - VERY NICE :) :) :)

The build quality looks great for the money. Heck, I'd say at that price your
light is a steal.

Not everyone can afford or needs a light that is built like the Surefire Beast.
I checked out the Polarion at SHOT 2007 (Matt Burkett's booth) and was not
at all impressed with it's build quality, regardless of price.

Looking forward to watching these lights develop.