• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired announcing the GOTHAM by Leef and Milky

lyte~speede

Newly Enlightened
Hello all,

New guy here...

Congrats to all who took possession of their "light-engine sculture" known as Gotham. I too would like to own one.

Will someone please tell me where to find one, where is the wait list I can add my name to, have the original 100 been spoken for, etc, etc.?? Lighthound has no answers as of yet so I thought this would be the place to ask.

Glad I found you people and CPF (great minds think alike).

Thanks

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lyte, I'm building the next 40 or so Gothams right now, am waiting on a parts order and may not have them ready for a couple weeks... after that they'll be on the way for a quick layover at Leef's place and final arrival at the 'Hound.

I probably shouldn't say this, but I'm also assembling a VERY small number for a few Milky customers, mainly folks who wanted their lights modified... just didn't make sense to send the lights in stock form to Lighthound only to have them sent back immediately for modifications. I'm not in the business of retailing flashlights and certainly NOT interested in replacing Lighthound... heck, I buy from them too! they do a great job... so the majority of Gothams are headed to Lighthound and the remainder are destined for their new owners straight from Milky Labs.

Sorry if this made no sense, it's getting late here! :sleepy:

Bottom line, there will be more Gothams available one way or another pretty soon.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
What sort of modifications are people asking you to do to their Gothams?:naughty:

Well, this is CPF after all, so some people want their Gotham set to output at higher max brightness, which diminishes the quality of regulation somewhat but bumps the lumens on max into the 200-230 vicinity... some folks want a copper heatsink, which doesn't actually show any heatsinking improvement but does add a certain heft to the light, similar to what one feels when picking up a very nice ballpoint pen... some want a glow ring under the lens instead of the usual viton o-ring... and I built a Gotham for myself that incorporates a heavy stipple reflector similar to that in my Milky L1 Floodmaster Edition, rather than the stock smooth reflector.

It's worth pointing out that the standard Gotham is the result of what Leef and I felt was the best blending of runtime and brightness, throw and spill, flat regulation and ample time with light toward the end of runtime... reasonable heat generation... and other factors. It's a great light for most people and certainly nothing to be ashamed of! The modifications bolster the light's capabilities in various ways or just put someone's personal stamp on the thing, which is of course understandable too. At the end of the day, we aims to please! :D

merkaba

Newly Enlightened
Yeah i absolutely LOVE my Gotham too!! I bought it second hand but its in brand new condition and an absolutely stunning light!

What size glow "o" ring should i get for it, im looking at putting one in the head? Also do you reckon there would be any way of installing tritium on this light, like in the tail cap or somewhere?

Finally what would be the best OP reflector to use? Is there a direct drop in that would work with the Gothams? :D :D im hooked!

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
My new word for this week....AWESOME! That is what my Gotham is, one hell of an AWESOME light.

:thumbsup:

Lab, I'm so glad you like your Gotham. Hope it keeps crankin' for you over the long haul... and whenever you might feel ready for an upgrade (new Seoul SSCP4 emitters come out, for example), give me a holler, I'd be happy to assist.

Yeah i absolutely LOVE my Gotham too!! I bought it second hand but its in brand new condition and an absolutely stunning light!

What size glow "o" ring should i get for it, im looking at putting one in the head? Also do you reckon there would be any way of installing tritium on this light, like in the tail cap or somewhere?

Finally what would be the best OP reflector to use? Is there a direct drop in that would work with the Gothams? :D :D im hooked!

Merkaba, thanks for your kind words. With regard to the glow ring, try a 3/4 inch, I believe that's the size I've been using... might want to give it a slight stretch, too, just before installing, to ensure everything cinches down evenly... don't stretch too much, though, as glow rings are pretty easy to snap when overstretched! :eek:oo:

For reflector, both a McR20 as sold at Sandwich Shoppe and the Khatod 20mm heavy stipple reflector sold by PhotonFanatic should fit nicely.

Hope this helps.

I'm waiting on a fresh batch of reflectors then will have this latest batch of Gothams headed to the 'hound... probably a couple weeks away.

Back to the grindstone. :sweat:

wand_light

Newly Enlightened
I love my gotham too (it's my EDC)! But my Milky x800.4 is 4 gothams in one and it's pretty awesome!
Gotham at 63 ft on high

gotham-63ft.jpg

X800.4 at 63 ft on high
M800-63FT.jpg

X800.4 at 63 ft on low
M800-63FT-LOW.jpg

Last edited:

Leef

Enlightened
UPDATE: Milky is assembling the last batch and says he'll have them to me early next week. I'll box 'em up and ship them down to the Hound ASAP. So they should be on his shelves (under heavy armed guard, I'm sure!) in about a week.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
[size=+1]Some News[/size]

As some of you know, I've faced a few obstacles to getting all the Gothems (Gothi?) :thinking: delivered to Lighthound. First the kids got sick, which pretty much guaranteed I would, too, and they certainly didn't let me down in that regard. :( Next, my stepfather decided this was the time to gut the Milky Labs and do some renovation... and since the price was right (free) I had little leverage to say no. It did mean assembly came to a standstill! I must say, the upgrade was well worth the pain however. VERY nice! Third, we faced some component shortages in key areas... first, we needed more Acorn drivers... then we needed more reflectors (never in a million years thought availability would be a problem with those!)... a couple minor bits, too, but all seems well at this point.

So the above notwithstanding, I can say with some relief that the majority of this latest batch are complete, tested, and bubble wrapped for shipment, with the balance due for completion tonight or tomorrow. Then they take an overnight ride to Leef's for a quick visit before arriving at their final destination, Lighthound's mighty virtual shelves. :naughty:

The lights look good. The plating in particular on this batch looks even better than that of the first batch... not that 001-050 were plated poorly, quite the contrary in fact... but for whatever reason the plating on this latest batch seems richer, more full of luster, more pleasing to the eye and the fingers... even the insides got a first-rate plating. There's also the benefit of having assembled enough pieces at this point that the build quality is actually better... again, the first batch was IMHO very solid, nothing to complain about... and yet, these latest lights have the benefit of a few custom jigs I've made to aid in assembly, plus little tweaks to the process that collectively result in an even more solid product. I'm very happy with the way these are coming together. Maybe the best testimonial I can offer is that I saw fit to buy one of these latest lights for myself at the standard price, even though I already had two from the first batch! Just couldn't resist. To differentiate this one a bit, I installed a Floodmaster reflector in mine and can report that it's a nice match for the Gotham.

[size=+1]New Firmware?[/size]

The whole idea of the Gotham's on-board microprocessor is to allow for the light to grow and adapt over time. There's one oddity to the existing firmware that I'd like to revisit, and correct... I'd classify it in the 'minor annoyance' category, not even a real bug, really, but still I want to eliminate it. That means new firmware at some point, and while I'm at it, wondered if folks might have some thoughts on what additional capabilities, if any, they might like to see in the next cut of the firmware... :whistle:

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
That means new firmware at some point, and while I'm at it, wondered if folks might have some thoughts on what additional capabilities, if any, they might like to see in the next cut of the firmware... :whistle:

It might be a big undertaking, but as I wrote to you in a PM, setting/tweaking your own levels would be pretty darn cool! :cool:

Other than that, I like the simplicity of the Gotham's Acorn driver! :thumbsup: Gotham #50 has been as reliable and useful as can be! :)

john

Edit: BTW, do we get to see photos of the new & improved Milky Labs? :poke: :wave:

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
It might be a big undertaking, but as I wrote to you in a PM, setting/tweaking your own levels would be pretty darn cool! :cool:

It's in my overall plan although you're right, it'll take some doing to get it right... not so much to CODE it right as to IMPLEMENT it in the right manner...

Other than that, I like the simplicity of the Gotham's Acorn driver! :thumbsup: Gotham #50 has been as reliable and useful as can be! :)

The challenge is to hold onto that simplicity and still get some new capabilities worked into the firmware. :sweat:

Edit: BTW, do we get to see photos of the new & improved Milky Labs? :poke: :wave:

I'll post some when I have a spare moment.

Is this next batch of lights going to have your "annoying bug" as you put it... fixed?

The batch going out today runs the same firmware as the first 50 Gothams did. As for the oddity (a better word as it's pretty benign, also pretty uncommon to experience it) that will be addressed with the next firmware release. I cannot state emphatically enough how minor the oddity really is... in normal usage one will only see it once in a blue moon or so, in fact most Gotham owners have probably never experienced it at all... and the workaround is quick, painless and easy. BTW, I documented the whole thing a number of posts earlier in this thread.

MarkIAlbert

Newly Enlightened
For what it's worth, I have four Milky lights and have run into the 'annoyance'. I believe Milky is much more critical of his own work than those of us who buy his products (hence the outstanding quality of his work). The annoyance seems to manifest when you are changing modes of the acorn slowly, specifically, when you have the switch partially pressed so that the connection 'flutters'. Once in a blue moon, under that condition, the acorn locks onto high power. It takes all of about 15 seconds to 'reboot' the acorn, and then it works fine.

Keep up the good work, Scott. This minor annoyance is no problem at all. The CREEmator and Boxster are sweet as is the Gotham (051).

It's in my overall plan although you're right, it'll take some doing to get it right... not so much to CODE it right as to IMPLEMENT it in the right manner...

The challenge is to hold onto that simplicity and still get some new capabilities worked into the firmware. :sweat:

I'll post some when I have a spare moment.

Is this next batch of lights going to have your "annoying bug" as you put it... fixed?

The batch going out today runs the same firmware as the first 50 Gothams did. As for the oddity (a better word as it's pretty benign, also pretty uncommon to experience it) that will be addressed with the next firmware release. I cannot state emphatically enough how minor the oddity really is... in normal usage one will only see it once in a blue moon or so, in fact most Gotham owners have probably never experienced it at all... and the workaround is quick, painless and easy. BTW, I documented the whole thing a number of posts earlier in this thread.

Leef

Enlightened
STATUS: A probably final batch of Gothams will leave here tomorrow headed for the Hound -- he should get them Monday. Not many left -- step right up! :grin2:

I've held back ~6, unplated, in case anyone wants a black one (a gold one?), or any other finish than the usual electroless nickel. Lemme know!

In closing, here are a few of the kind comments that Forum members have made about the Gotham (all copied from this thread):
=======================

==============
My new word for this week....AWESOME! That is what my Gotham is, one hell of an AWESOME light.
==============
I recieved my Gotham yesterday,beam is very nice,machine work and plating is great. It may be too nice to be an edc though.Thanks to Leef and Milky for such a nice light and Lighthound for fast delivery.
==============
These are top notch lights!
Beautiful to look at, excellent output and runtime, wonderful machining, well centered LED, super smooth threads and did I mention, a joy to look at!
Milky and Leef hit a home run with this light.
==============
The light is surprisingly lightweight, about the weight of a mini maglight 2 AA and slightly shorter but thicker. For me, I think half-watt's review in post 114 pretty much says it all. The body is beautiful and the light output is fantastic. Hard to believe all the output produced on high.
===============
a realization hit me just a few moments ago as i switch off my light and was alone in the dark - just me and my Gotham.
if i was forced to give away all of my lights, but one which would i keep?
the answer was not long in coming at all. in fact, it was instant.
i'd keep the Gotham.

i could go on, but you get the picture... i can't think of anything that even comes close to the Gotham
=================
Well, the Gotham has landed - maybe an hour or so ago.
A real work of art; almost breath-taking to behold.
been playin' w/it since then.
difficult to put into words. very nice indeed. maybe as close to perfect as there is thus far in the lighting arena for a light of this given size and intended uses.
i really can't say enough good things about it thus far.
==============
Nice work guys - what everyone else said - the awesome and simple UI and 4 unique levels make it very useable, the 18650 is an obvious winner, and the machining is like nothing I've seen before on a flashlight. Very, very, very cool. :twothumbs

Leef & Milkyspit make an awesome team, and hopefully this is the first of many ground-up collaborations between two of the finest out there!

:) john
==============
The Gotham is a really great light for anyone looking for an extremely cool tailswitch rechargeable with an incredibly bright multi-stage output in a pocketable size. I'd also highly recommend the Gotham to anyone who has not yet beheld a Milky light. Leef and Milky, fantastic work guys. :bow::twothumbs:clap:
================
I find the non concentric or symetric about the major axis, mill work on the surface to be quite refreshing and interesting!! No doubt some of us may have invisioned similar deviations, in general, from the common place but thinking about it and doing it are two different things! You guys did it, and nicely! Cool! :D [McGizmo]
================

Well...there are more, but that's enough. I can't thank all of you enough for your kind words about our creation. It was quite a journey for Milky and me!

lyte~speede

Newly Enlightened
I'm posting this question here (to Milky and Leef) as oposed to e-mail or PM so others may benefit as well.

It's evident the Gotham design offers a decided balance of features--runtime, max bright, UI, heat management, etc. There has been mention of the inevitable mod here and there ("this is CPF" as Milky puts it).

It's obvious that pushing the max brightness from its optimum design of 867+/- ma to say 1000ma(1amp) will reduce runtime a bit but by how much?? -- A rough percentage maybe?

And, more importantly in my opinion, how might this affect the stability of its design (or) the circuits ability to regulate output if at all? A lessor concern, when does heat management become an issue with the Gotham design?