• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired announcing the GOTHAM by Leef and Milky

Grumpy

Enlightened
Very impressed with this light!
Very glad you made it user upgradeable by not potting, loctiting, etc.
I have been hoping that a light like this (disigned for the 18650 with out a large reflector that makes it harder to carry) would be made for some time.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will the 'hound be shipping out in order? That is, the first 50 orders actually get the first 50 serialed lights with the hand picked LED or will it be random?

-LT

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will the 'hound be shipping out in order? That is, the first 50 orders actually get the first 50 serialed lights with the hand picked LED or will it be random?

-LT

LT, Lighthound's specific shipping methodology is yet to be determined... so I'm not sure if they'll be shipping in sequence, randomly, or by some other means... but I do know the first lights they ship will be somewhere in that 001-050 range... in fact, they ALL will be in that range, until there aren't any more 001-050 waiting to be sold!

It's also worth noting that lights in the sequence have already been delivered to beta testers, a small handful will be sold some of my own previous modding customers, and Leef and I will of course keep a few for ourselves, so Lighthound won't have all 50 to sell, though they WILL have the majority of them.

I do want to make one thing clear, too: ALL the Gotham emitters have been and will continue to be hand-selected in the manner I'd tried to describe a few posts above, and I have every intention of making sure every Gotham gets one of the best emitters on hand at time of its construction, much as I do with my own Milky L1 builds... just that we're focusing on 001-050 at this precise moment, which can work to customer advantage... if a new, uber-Seoul (or whatever) emitter becomes available around the time we're building lights #051-100, for instance, the intent is to use them! Gotham will always get a premium allocation of handpicked emitters to the best of our ability to do so.

Hope that helps! Sorry if I caused any confusion. :ohgeez:

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
[size=+1]Comparative Output vs. Runtime[/size]

This is the graph Leef was trying to show with only limited success in post #1... he compared Gotham at max output with a few well-known lights. Note that Leef's lightbox tends to translate to roughly 1 lumen per 10 lightbox units (lbu).

Linear: What the meter sees
img-gotham-leef-runtimes-v-others-linear.gif

Logarithmic: What the eye perceives
img-gotham-leef-runtimes-v-others-log.gif

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great Art Deco design. :thumbsup: This light deserves to be in the MOMA!

So is it capped at 100 then? Or will you make some non numbered lights if demand is great enough?

Also does it use PWM to achieve the lower levels?

Also can I get it shipped right back to milkysplit for a reflector mod? I have something special in mind :sssh: This will involve resoldering the LED.

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same question as above. is the build only for 100 lights? will there be any lights available in HA3?

Thanks

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks stunning :thumbsup:

A couple of Q`s.

Why not go with a decent reflector instead of the IMS 20mm in a what seems to be high end light?
Who will be assembling these? Have you guys hired any proffesionals or maybe one of the skilled modders on CPF?

I really like the looks of it,good work Leef and Milky :twothumbs

Benny

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
If im gonna buy a $300+ light i want to know who assembles them.
I know Leef designed and made the body,Milky made the Electronics with some help from georges80.
Im assuming Milkylabs will assemble these,any chance of a picture of the Assembled LE and guts of the light.

Regards,
Benny

Last edited:

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree. using the mcR20 reflectors would have nice for this high end hand crafted light.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great Art Deco design. :thumbsup: This light deserves to be in the MOMA!

So is it capped at 100 then? Or will you make some non numbered lights if demand is great enough?

Also can I get it shipped right back to milkysplit for a reflector mod? I have something special in mind :sssh: This will involve resoldering the LED.

Dave, many thanks! :eek:

The first 100 lights will be serial numbered. Only 001-050 are guaranteed to be nickel plated... the remainder MIGHT end up nickel plated, or they might end up with a different finish.

Yes. The PWM also keeps the tint uniform regardless of level. There is also constant current regulation for the PWM pulses themselves, so both are in effect. Pulse frequency is set at a relatively high level to eliminate eyestrain and make the pulses unnoticeable in normal operation... pulse frequency is MUCH higher than a computer monitor is capable of achieving, for instance.

No problem. :thumbsup:

Leef

Enlightened
cue003 and others, we made 100 Gothams. I've only plated the first 50 Gothams, holding off on the next 50 to see if anyone might want another finish. HA black is an obvious option, and I've thought about doing a HA black finish and polishing off the black on the exterior surfaces, leaving the black in the grooves, for a zebra look. I'll experiment...

Regarding reflectors -- obviously, with a light of this quality, we'd use the best reflector we could get. Cost would be no impediment. But Scott tried the IMS and felt that it performed better than others, offering a better mix of spill and throw. I'm sure he'd be willing to install other reflectors (any that fit) if anyone wants them (Scott -- true?).

A final point: a lot of high end lights are made from titanium. They're great, no question. But we opted for 7075 T-6 aluminum because it conducts heat so much better than titanium, and at the Gotham's high output, that's a plus! The Gotham is a work of art, but I'm a believer in function. As I like to say, "Form follows function, but function doesn't obviate form."

On the sink issue, I had 100 copper sinks made, then our experience seemed to indicate that aluminum sinked lights worked a bit better. So I had another batch of 100 sinks made from aluminum, which is what we used. I can't explain this phenomenon (can someone help?), but I have a box of 100 copper sinks that might be available at a steal...:naughty:

Thank you all for your kind comments. This project was a great deal of work, but it worked out as we'd hoped.

Last edited: