another e-cig erruption

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: E-cig battery burns mans leg

I am going User Error. That is my vote!
As I think about it, I have 100's of Lion batteries and several Lipos. I have only had one problem. It was caused by me!
It is very easy to short out a flat top. They can heat up super fast! I had a loose magnet short one (26650 KING KONG)! It only takes seconds and that is if you are paying attention.

If you say, had a few adult beverages and were talking with the friendly cashier about local politics, I can see how you may not notice things going awry in your baggy jean pocket, and you could end up in flames.
That is why I say: "Skinny Jeans Save Lives" :tinfoil:

Ask about any cop, they can probably tell you, people can carry some strange objects in their pockets.

Also, lots of folks are likely so comfy with regular AA batteries that they probably just assume these are not much different. So far, that has been my experience with friends & family members who Vape. They mostly seem oblivious to proper Lion battery safety. That is just my experience.

markr6

Flashaholic

Next question: How likely is it that you would damage the wrapper with coins (and other junk) in the pocket?

Not likely for me. But for vapers, it makes sense they're walking around with a spare cell all day. I guess it depends on many factors like how much walking your doing, sitting, standing, etc. If just back and forth to work and sitting, not much. And one would likely take it out during the day. Who knows. But I once dropped an Eagletac 18650, not very hard, but the way it hit instantly cracked the wrapper causing the protection circuit to come right off with little effort.

HKJ

Flashaholic

As long as I'm storing my Li-ions in cases when not used, or in my lights, I should be as safe as I can be right?

Storing is not the problem, look out for:
Shorting the batteries.
Overloading the batteries.
Overcharging the batteries.
Overdischarging the batteries.
Overheating the batteries.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast

Shorting the batteries.
+1

I carry my spare 18650 battery in a Delirn battery capsule and 26650 batteries in a pill medication plastic capsule. I also make sure all my 18650 or 26650 lights have the ability for easy lock-out by 1/8 turn or less of tail cap or head. I am also aware that under the very thin 'wrapper' is the metal body of the battery which is all a negative terminal.

A lack of knowledge is the most dangerous part of a lithium ion battery.

sofarsogood

Newly Enlightened
I'm new to this forum but not to ecigs. I follow ecig news and notice most of the reported accidents like this one. Virtually all involve unregulated devices called mechanical mods, meaning a metal battery tube with a switch at one end and threading for an atomizer on the other and no protective circuits. These tend to be popular with young men attracted to risky behavior and not patient enough to learn the fine points. They tend to favor the highests amp 18650's available but are just as likely to end up with fakes. There are a bunch of ways to short the battery with a mechanical mod. I don't use them. The other common accident is shorting a battery with exposed terminals during pocket carry, like the guy in the video. I was hoping to use the 18650 batteries I use for vaping in flashlights and just started shopping. Flashlights have gotten complicated and it looks like many of them might not take my flat tops.

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Scary. Thumbs up to the store staff and the other customer for helping him out. For this reason I always carry my spare batteries in another light. (I'm aware there are cases available, but for carrying a single additional cell I think it makes more sense to also carry a spare flashlight!)

ArminVanBuuren

Newly Enlightened

Can similar thing happen if u got a protection circuit and u aint short circuiting the cells?

Im gonna use 2 cells for headlamp, they will be exactly on my head. Quite fear after this.

Iceberg86300

Newly Enlightened

Shorting the batteries.
This is really all you need to know plus one thing: if a cell or pack shows any damage whatsoever dispose of it properly and replace.

Regardless of battery type I always charge mine using my computerized hobby charger. The only issue here is the charge rate. Newer lipos for my heli can be charged at up to 6c & many chargers will lump this limit into all lithium capacities. But even if you setup the limit correctly this can be defeated by telling the charger the battery has more capacity than it actually does.

If you're not an idiot it's about impossible to blow a battery on such a charger. But that doesn't mean it's foolproof either, batteries can & have gone up in smoke "for no reason." This is why anything lithium gets charged in a "LiPo bag," basically just a Nomex bag or other fireproof material.

Also, in the RC world you need a lithium specific speed controller which contains a setting for cell voltage cutoff, taking care of over discharge.

Last thing is that most reputable manufacturers have crash replacement programs. So if you drive your RC whatever into the ground and visibly damage the battery you end up with a discount to replace it.

At any rate, lithium chemistry batteries can be as safe or as dangerous as you make them with your various choices regarding buying/handling/use.

Stay safe!

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
So much for imr being safe chemistry
The guy more than likely shorted the cell in his pocket as a result of his own doing from what I understand. That he was carrying two cells loose in his pocket with other items possible to cause a short was a recipe for disaster.

recDNA

Flashaholic
The guy more than likely shorted the cell in his pocket as a result of his own doing from what I understand. That he was carrying two cells loose in his pocket with other items possible to cause a short was a recipe for disaster.
No question. My point was at one time it was claimed imr would not flame out like icr.