another e-cig erruption

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: E-cig battery burns mans leg

How difficult do you believe it is if the wrapper is damaged?

DSC_3552.jpg

That would be my guess too for the most likely cause of these pocket ventings. Probably the wrapper wears away due to rubbing up against other objects while walking. This leaves the positive terminal less than 1/4 inch away from the top of the exposed metal can - which is wholly negative - so a short requires only a short metallic object (coins, keys, etc) bridging the two (e.g. connecting the red arrowheads in the photo).

Probably many newbies wrongly think that a short requires a longer and less probable connection from the top (positive) to bottom (negative) terminal, not realizing that the entire can is also negative. This is something that should be stressed more in basic safety literature, since it differs dramatically from other cells familiar to consumers.

Last edited:

Nutdip

Newly Enlightened
Excellent post sofarsogood. It's not like regular, store bought E cigs are just exploding everywhere. These kids are overcharging batteries and modding the hell out of stuff and doing stupid poop like dropping extra batteries into change pockets.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problem is that doesn't get reported, just that a Li-Ion battery exploded in his pocket. Now we have x number more people sure that Li-Ions are the work of the devil and should be banned and/or shunned by all right thinking people - 'For their own good!'. I think I am going to make up some business cards that say 'Congratulations on making the finals for the Darwin Award! Keep up the good work and you may win the Grand Prize!', and hand them out as needed. Here's your card.

As someone who had an "E-Cig" about 10 years ago ( as a result of being a research junky ), I got rid of it as it just drew to much attention and I was tired of answering questions. As things progressed to our side of power options Im sure Im not the only one here that saw this coming.... I visited my local vape store about a year ago before i quit and warned them about some of their cells. I also caution flashlight dealers that the cells they're selling are a potential liability issue. I recite the basics about rechargeable and Primary Lithiums. Always to the reception of blank stares and shoulder shrugs... It really gets my goat... especially when the store caters to LEO. There is absolutely no excuse to carry ultrafire or CR123's of dubiouse origins that could pose a potential safety risk to LEO's and the public. LEO's NEED MADE IN USA Primaries and Quality PANASONIC cells with a solid charger and a basic rundown of the "rules". ( And a Malkoff or 3 for good measure ).

That said, I concur with your assessment and str8's observation. Clearly this is a widespread problem with all lithium batteries and they must be banned for the publics safety. It's just too big an endeavor to educate people or have shop owners crack open the interweb and learn something new. People can't be held responsible for their actions or lack their of. The potential benefits of not smoking clearly aren't sufficient enough for people to spend 5 minutes to understand what they are buying or shop owners for what they are selling.

Hoover boards anyone?

:shakehead

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
As someone who had an "E-Cig" about 10 years ago ( as a result of being a research junky ), I got rid of it as it just drew to much attention and I was tired of answering questions. As things progressed to our side of power options Im sure Im not the only one here that saw this coming.... I visited my local vape store about a year ago before i quit and warned them about some of their cells. I also caution flashlight dealers that the cells they're selling are a potential liability issue. I recite the basics about rechargeable and Primary Lithiums. Always to the reception of blank stares and shoulder shrugs... It really gets my goat... especially when the store caters to LEO. There is absolutely no excuse to carry ultrafire or CR123's of dubiouse origins that could pose a potential safety risk to LEO's and the public. LEO's NEED MADE IN USA Primaries and Quality PANASONIC cells with a solid charger and a basic rundown of the "rules". ( And a Malkoff or 3 for good measure ).

That said, I concur with your assessment and str8's observation. Clearly this is a widespread problem with all lithium batteries and they must be banned for the publics safety. It's just too big an endeavor to educate people or have shop owners crack open the interweb and learn something new. People can't be held responsible for their actions or lack their of. The potential benefits of not smoking clearly aren't sufficient enough for people to spend 5 minutes to understand what they are buying or shop owners for what they are selling.

BAN THEM ALL BECAUE OF NEWS AND STUFF!

Also, Hoover boards anyone?

:shakehead