Another Happy MAG85 Owner

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had all the components come together last night and I put the M@G to the test. First test I was really disappointed seemed dim, suspected all the cells were not firing. Took the 3 to D Adapters out, checked voltage. I do suspect that all the cells were not making contact within the adpaters. I took the adapters with the lid closed and lightly but firmly tapped them in the palm of my hand to better position the cells, seemed to to do the trick. I need to probably increase the size of the solder drops on the cells as they are pretty small come to think of it. Oh well, I need some good ole' practice with the ole' Weller anyway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I had problems with the compression spring of the tail cap to the M@G. The spring has a wide opening, the end that makes contact with the negative end of the adapter. It is really too wide for it to make a good conection. Will have to make a trip to Lowes to see if I can find a compression spring, maybe Grainger has something like that but Grainger though they have a huge inventory are a bit pricey. In the interim I used aluminum foil and it worked well.

My second test I ran for 9 minutes uninterupted using my CBP 1650's and it took the load very well I am happy to report. The voltage on my second test was 11.22v going in, a bit conservative but hey, the group buy is still a month away at least and this potted 1185 is the only lamp I have at the moment... Forgot to mention, did I say Bright? Yep, it was noticeably brighter & whiter than my SL-35x runing on x6 C Cell NiMH's.

Special Thanks goes to:

"BullzeyeBill" for offering me the potted 1185 Lamp and making himself available for my questions.

"Ginseng" for making himself available for my questions.

"BWaites" for making himself available for my questions.

Raybo

Enlightened
Dukester,

Litho taught me a little trick.

Remove the top from a D size battery (Energizer batteries are the easiest to get the top off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif) and just plop that in before you put on the rear end of the light.

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks you two... I do have to admit that I thought about looking in the garage for my channel locks to do as Shmoe suggested and that is closing the open end of the compression spring that is attached to the tail cap...

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congratulations! Now you've seen firsthand the awesome power of the Superbulbs... you can never go back.

I have difficulty taking most incandescents (including low-end <150 lumen Surefires) seriously nowadays after the Mag85 has spoiled me rotten /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lightedge

Newly Enlightened
I know the feeling. I own some pretty expensive lights from SF, Laser Devices and Pila including 1 or 2 customized LED jobbies and none of them really hold my interest anymore.

The other lights do have their place but they just aren't as much fun as a Mag85.