Another single cell lithium primary vents - IMPORTANT UPDATE

StarHalo

Flashaholic
What should I do with them?.....

battbox.jpg

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Re: Another single cell lithium primary vents

I owe Battery Station as an entity, Kevin personally, and each of you my deepest apology.

Throughout this thread I have maintained my certainty that I was completely out of the old cells, and so the cell in question HAD to be one of the new ones I just received. Given Kevins certainty that it was an old cell I sent him it has been bothering me all day, being sure he was wrong, but just as sure that he wasn't simply trying to "whitewash" the incident.

It bothered me badly enough that I spent my evening going through everything. All my lights, all my carriers, everything, to verify what I knew. What I found was one of my carriers in the garage that still contained 3 of the old cells. Given everything that I now know, I have to assume that that is where the cell in question came from.

I have stirred up controversy, and quite possibly harmed a good mans business based on faulty information. Unfortunately all I can do is say "I'm sorry" and do what little I can here to make it right.

I'm sorry.

I'm glad I asked for certainty in my previous post, and that you took the time to check. Despite some people misreading that trying to get certainty and facts since there was a past history with this company was....how did I just see it stated...."making BS really, really wrong...blah blah blah" actually did not happen.

What did happen was in the interest of public safety, some of us kept open the questions of "How do you know?" until we heard some more definitive facts. This was in response to others implying that B.S. was in the clear since their cells are basically the same as SureFire, or suggestions that the switch caused the short. Now that mckevin has dropped his certainty, and found other old cells I think we all need to give B.S. our full respect and restored reputation.

None of these items should have been ruled out early on. At some point, there could even be a breakdown in the USA made cells, that this may have been the starting indicator of. I don't recall anyone saying for sure that they knew exactly what the source of the problem was throughout this thread, and IMHO, this was a worthwhile thread from start to finish.

Kudo's to Kevin, and to mckevin. It was clear to all that you actually believed these were the new cells until your last post. I consider it resolved, and related to the old, known problematic Chinese made cells that anyone still holding them should all be disposed of.

Patriot

Flashaholic
After reading this full thread I'm very releived to hear that it was the old BS battery and not the newly US manufactured one.

To the OP, I don't think you hurt Kevin in any way. If anything this incident reinforces his good business ethic and reputation. I personally wouldn't hesitate to purchase his batteries.

P.S. glad that you're ok too. :twothumbs

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
Battery Station has consistently stood behind their products even in the face of problems, so I will, and I hope others will, give them business. We need to support quality vendors such as this one, and vote with our purchases.

Thanks, Battery Station, for your ethics and standing behind your products.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with the assertion that it is an old cell. It may be my mind playing tricks but to me it looks like there is a burnt yellow ring at the base AND some yellow righting on the top 3/4 of the cell facing parallel to the ground towards the camera man.

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just wondering what is the failure rate of CR123? I see a few folks on CPF have had venting batteries. I wonder how many are manufactured per year and how many vent per year?

I also wonder how many vent while in a 2xCR123 vs 1xCR123 light and how many in storage still in original packaging?

Ever heard of venting while in storage inside original packaging?

Ever heard of venting while on a store shelf? In storage in a warehouse or while in-transit in a truck crossing the country on the interstate?

Burgess

Flashaholic
I've often wondered . . . .

How many people actually Test their CR123A cells,

under a load, (or with a ZTS battery tester),

before installing them in a multi-cell flashlight or device.

50 percent ? ? ?

10 percent ? ? ?

Isn't a "matched set" critical for safety ?

:confused:

(yes, i realize this thread is about single-cells)

_

Dizos

Newly Enlightened
I agree with the assertion that it is an old cell. It may be my mind playing tricks but to me it looks like there is a burnt yellow ring at the base AND some yellow righting on the top 3/4 of the cell facing parallel to the ground towards the camera man.

I went ahead and cutout the cell from the picture, balanced the color within the cutout portion and then greatly enhanced the saturation to assist in color differentiation.

cell.jpg

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast

Honestly when I got my first 2xCR123A light, I simply put the included Duracell batteries in it and went my merry way.

It wasn't until after reading some of the CR123A :poof: threads that I started checking the voltage of the cells.
I got paranoid enough about even the possibility of a problem that I now use 17670 Li-Ion cells in my 2xCR123A lights.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast

50 percent ? ? ?

10 percent ? ? ?

Isn't a "matched set" critical for safety ?

:confused:

(yes, i realize this thread is about single-cells)

_

I think the number is close to .1 %, maybe less. I'd wager the only people using zts testers for their flashlight batteries are cpf'ers, and honestly not that many of us own them either.

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got paranoid enough about even the possibility of a problem that I now use 17670 Li-Ion cells in my 2xCR123A lights.

A 17670 li ion is a better voltage match for a LED anyway.
That makes for better efficiency and run time.
It will fall out of regulation at the end, but that gives you some
warning that it is time to change batteries.

The safest batteries we can use in CR-123 lights are the LiFePO4s.
I have been using them in many of my single-cell lights now.

Both of the above also have the advantage of being rechargeable!

somebody said:
this battery…now is going in the circular file

That would be against the law here in CA. Dead batteries must be recycled.