Another single cell lithium primary vents - IMPORTANT UPDATE

mckevin

Enlightened
If you don't read anything else in this thread, please read post #36

UPDATE 3/30/09:
I received an e-mail from Kevin today stating that he had received the light, and that the cell had markings on it that were only present on the old Chinese cells. He is, therefore, certain that this was a Chinese made cell that vented. I, on the other hand, am equally certain that I was completely out of those cells and was using stock from the newly received box. Given my propensity for absentmindedness, I am willing to give the tie (and the benefit of doubt) to BS.

In any case, he is replacing the light and it is my intent to continue to use the remaining cells.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Had been using my P1DCE with Leef body for roughly 15 minutes today on low. With no noticeable warning there was a loud POP and a sharp pain in my hand. I dropped the light (and my Disto laser measurer) in my surprise. The light hissed and smoked on the floor for several more seconds. I picked it up by the other "stuff" on the ring and took it outside.

There was no hissing, no bulging of the tailcap (that I noticed) and the body was not warm to the touch before the incident, though afterward it was too hot to touch for 10 to 15 minutes.

I would prefer not to get into brand names at this point aside from its being a well known US made brand purchased from a reputable source only a couple of weeks earlier. I have been in contact with the manufacturer (asking that they replace the light) and they are requesting that I send the light and cell to them for examination.

Oh, I'm fine, the pain was just the sting from the switch cover bursting. The light on the other hand, is a loss. Even if it works the reflector and lens are hopelessly contaminated with God knows what.

Bad pics, as my photography skills are famousely non-existant.

DSCN3201.jpg

DSCN3198.jpg

DSCN3192.jpg

Last edited:

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Another single cell lithium primary vents

I can't post my thoughts, so holy crap will have to do.

I think I can see enough of the label to know the brand, and if I'm right, I have a couple of those cells in some low draw single cell lights.

I was under the impression that these types of events were not very likely to happen with single cell lights.

Last edited:

mckevin

Enlightened

I think I can see enough of the label to know the brand, and if I'm right, I have a couple of those cells in some low draw single cell lights.

I have the cell in my possession and I can't make out the label!!

I was under the impression that these types of events were not very likely to happen with single cell lights.

That was my impression as well. Now I don't know what to think!

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast

Can you estimate the percent of (expected) capacity you'd used before the incident?

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

I would prefer not to get into brand names at this point aside from its being a well known US made brand purchased from a reputable source only a couple of weeks earlier.

Glad you are OK, and thanks for sharing incident with us. My guess is "Battery Station" cell, as I see a hint of some blue and white. Good Luck!

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic

If that is an older Battery Station cell, you can reveal it openly; we already "know" about those..

Flashlight Enthusiast

The label screams BS, BUT he said it's US made. SO either he confused his old style BS cell for the new US made, or the new cells are still a problem.

Or I'm completely wrong.

Seems strange to me that it would go off like that. Over discharging isn't actually as dangerous as it's made to sound. Maybe an internal short in the cell caused it to go off.

mckevin

Enlightened

O.K., I don't know why last night it seemed necessary to withhold the brand.

It is a Battery Station cell, and it is the new US made cell, I received it directly from BS only a few weeks ago.

I have been in contact with Kevin and as I stated above, he has requested I send the light and the cell to him for examination, which I will do today. He has been very responsive, and is clearly very concerned. I'm certain he will make things right.

As to level of discharge, based on the SWAG principle, I would guesstimate something over half.

Hell, I'm just really happy it wasn't one of the many times I was holding the danged thing in my mouth, LOL.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

I sort of REALLY thought single cell lights were safe as long as you weren't asking for 10A from a 3A cell.

Jeeze! Now what?

Oh. I have had cells go completely no light DEAD in my P2D with no :poof:

I try my darndest NOT to let that happen in my 2x123 lights!

Last edited:

geek4christ

Enlightened

Wow.

This is disconcerting.

Whatever the cause, I'm sure Kevin will make it right for you. Please keep us updated on what he finds out :popcorn:

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes, please keep us updated on this.

The fact that it happened in a single cell light is disconcerting.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

Need to rule out the P1D CE/Leef body combo. We can not always blame the battery when bad things happen. Does the P1D CE have a constant drain on battery, so always electrical contact? If there is a drain I know that it would be very, very low, but something may have shortened out in the circuit/battery contact. Just thinking out loud here, so don't beat me up.

Bill

325addict

Enlightened

whoowww!! I've got a stock original P1D as well, and use it regularly. Just as my L1 LumaMax. I just thought single cell lights were safe, but now I'm just concerned a bit....

Timmo.

mckevin

Enlightened

I have sent the cell and the complete light assembly to Kevin, and I'm certain he and his representatives will examine both thoroughly. No need to jump to any conclusions until we hear from them.

I do think that the switch used in the Leef body is a complete electrical disconnect., but can't test that to be sure, as I no longer have one. :poof:

Need to rule out the P1D CE/Leef body combo. We can not always blame the battery when bad things happen. Does the P1D CE have a constant drain on battery, so always electrical contact? If there is a drain I know that it would be very, very low, but something may have shortened out in the circuit/battery contact. Just thinking out loud here, so don't beat me up.

Bill

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

It is a Battery Station cell, and it is the new US made cell, I received it directly from BS only a few weeks ago.

Hey, what do I win?

65535, the link I posted lists it as being USA made, you may have been thinking of the old BS cells that were made in China.

Nothing against battery station, but I do wonder how anyone knows EXACTLY what "made in USA" means. I have this feeling (but not sure, and don't know what the specifics are in this BS instance) that the "USA made" gets slapped on things that only have some parts of an item made in USA. I wonder where exactly the US manufacturing is being done for all components of these (or other advertised made in USA) items.

It is worth noting, that SF cells have a whole other level of safety. I won't use anything else...no matter what is reported back on this scenario. IMHO, they are not going to be able to say anything definitive on a switch/connection unit that has been so physically damaged.

Dan FO

Enlightened

That Leef body has a McGizmo switch in it and it's one of the best in the business. And yes, it is a complete disconnect when it is off.

MorePower

Enlightened

Hey, what do I win?

65535, the link I posted lists it as being USA made, you may have been thinking of the old BS cells that were made in China.

Nothing against battery station, but I do wonder how anyone knows EXACTLY what "made in USA" means. I have this feeling (but not sure, and don't know what the specifics are in this BS instance) that the "USA made" gets slapped on things that only have some parts of an item made in USA. I wonder where exactly the US manufacturing is being done for all components of these (or other advertised made in USA) items.

It is worth noting, that SF cells have a whole other level of safety. I won't use anything else...no matter what is reported back on this scenario. IMHO, they are not going to be able to say anything definitive on a switch/connection unit that has been so physically damaged.

New Battery Station CR123A cells come from the same plant and are made to the same standards with the same components as the Surefire cells. There's only one plant in the US that makes CR123A cells.

A Surefire label on a cell doesn't make it any more or less safe than any of the others coming out of that plant.

Burgess

Flashaholic

But, at Least you'd know Who to Sue !

:devil:
_