any beamshots of SRTH vs. KT heads

pizzajoe62

Newly Enlightened
hello all,

i have been following the different threads on the turbo conversion heads.
from what i can gather, more people seem to favor the SRTH over the KT heads because it throws farther, has a tighter beam & lighter.
too tight of a beam can be less useful due to its very limited coverage.
assuming both are using the same LA, how much farther can the SRTH throw?

beamshots if any, of this 2 will be much appreciated.
thanks,

joe

wasabe64

Flashaholic*
Here's a thread by CPF'er kakster comparing various turboheads using modified 5-Watt luxeon modules.

I don't recall if there are any comprehensive shootouts using the incandescent lamp assemblies. I only have 2.5" turboheads in my collection, and the SRTH is the best thrower using the N2 LA.

mokona2

Enlightened
My understanding is the SRTH is about the same 2.5" diameter as the KT series turboheads. The SRTH has a lexan lens and a smoother reflector over the more orange peel look of the KT series.

If you compare the same lamps in both turboheads, the SRTH will have a much tighter hotspot with very little spill, but will be fairly well balanced. For a much wider bright spot (even if a bit oval), I would go with the KT series, although these make the flashlights more front heavy.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SRTH is tighter here are some pics. You can see the hot spot on the SRTH is brighter what the photo does not show is that the KT1 has more spill. Both heads where using the MN60 225 lumen lamp at 150' if a remember right.
MN60%20KT1%20SF.jpg

MN60%20SHRT%20SF.jpg

Here is a K4 but note the lamp is a MN20 not MN60 like the other photo's.
m6%20250L%20AUTO.JPG

pizzajoe62

Newly Enlightened
thank you everyone.

even as the beamshots show the SRTH edging out the KT, i'm
with mokona2, compromise a little bit of throw for a bit more spill w/ the KT.
IMO, such a beam will be more practical & useful.
besides, the reach difference seem not that great of a deal.
BTW, the lexan SRTH is more expensive than the pyrex KT head.
as far as i am concerned, the real trade off is weight.
thanks again.

joe

mokona2

Enlightened
I forgot to mention that the KT series are shock-isolated should you choose to mount your flashlight onto a rifle or shotgun. The SRTH doesn't have this feature (if that is an issue).

mokona2

Enlightened
Ah.. thanks for the correction kongfuchicken. Guess I'd better get myself a few more turboheads to, umm, run a comparison test.. yeah /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
If you do a search for "SRTH", newer than three years, user name "brightnorm" you will find lots of good information.

Then you can go buy a SRTH /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

pizzajoe62

Newly Enlightened
thanks hoghead, i've done that prior to putting up this post.
if i remember correctly, brightnorm was disappointed w/ the KT head due to a less concentrated beam.
i, on the other hand, am willing to compromise.
it really is a matter of taste & purpose.
shock isolation is not necessary so a KT2 & a 9P will be just fine...simple & compact with decent throw.
a tiny spot w/ lots of reach is less practical for me.

does the KT2 have a similar beam pattern w/ the KT4 despite the different LAs?

joe

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
quote:
"does the KT2 have a similar beam pattern w/ the KT4 despite the different LAs?"

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif I'm not sure. Maybe someone else can better answer this. My understanding is that the KT2 is inferior to a KT4 from what I've read. That's why I didn't buy a KT2. I also understand that a Turbohead isn't worthwhile on 2x123.

I don't have a KT1/KT2/KT3. I have a SRTH/M3T/M4/M6.

quote: "it really is a matter of taste & purpose."

I agree. I just want to share information so that you can make an informed decision. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/au.gif

quote: "a tiny spot w/ lots of reach is less practical for me."

The Turboheads do have useful spill light, they are not just a "hotspot".

Please let us know what you decide and how you like it.

pizzajoe62

Newly Enlightened
hoghead,

appreciate all the infos..."informed decision" is certainly what i want especially having considered how much these things cost!...LOL
thanks man...as i have mentioned earlier, i am leaning towards the KT2/9P combo...it is 1 of the least expensive of these expensive TOYS.
i agree that the KTs are better mated w/ 9V or more bodies.
and also, i expected the KT4 to be superior (the price difference is a good indicator)...i guess what i meant to ask is: would the KT2 have a similar beam signature as the KT4?

joe

Topper

Flashaholic*
The KT4 or M series "looks" a little deeper to me than the KT2 I use all of the above (KT1 KT2 same thing different lamp) (M3T M4 M6 same Turbo head) SRTH and 3inch Turbo only thing missing is the KT for the 9AN Commander
with all the other options I have I have not felt the need to get one for the 9AN although I have heard its great.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif