Any decent 2xAA lights out there?

Wurkkos

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Almost every day, I look at a pile of Duraloops I picked up back when Target was selling them cheap in August 2013. They sit there neglected simply because There just don't seem to be alot of lights out there that use AA batteries that I like (and because my SC52s just seem to work better with 14500s). I would like to have a light that can use this untapped resource of mine. But it just doesn't seem like there are any AA lights out there I really like. With this said, are there any good 2xAA lights out there that can put out more than 250 lumens, and do so with a neutral emitter? I would also like something that is more floody than throwy for use on dark paths. I was looking at the Eagletac D25A2, which is available with a neutral XM-L2 T6 (similar, I believe, to the SC52w L2). But the output looks to be a little on the low side, particularly for continuous operation. Is there anything out there that might have more kick while using the same emitter?

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
...With this said, are there any good 2xAA lights out there that can put out more than 250 lumens, and do so with a neutral emitter?

...I was looking at the Eagletac D25A2, which is available with a neutral XM-L2 T6 (similar, I believe, to the SC52w L2). But the output looks to be a little on the low side, particularly for continuous operation. Is there anything out there that might have more kick while using the same emitter?

Sounds like you need to adjust for the massive lumen scale "difference" between ET and ZL. By my light box, my ET's D25As are slightly conservative from true ANSI, while my SC52 is, well..... not. You can use Selfbuilt's relative measurements as a proxy - 280 SC52 lumens ~290 SB lumens, while 277 D25C** lumens ~450 SB lumens.

** Closest driver/emitter to the light you are looking at that SB has tested.

EDIT: BTW, if you like bright and NW, you might want to consider the Thrunite Neutron 2A V2 - it's lumen scale matches ZL close enough, and it will walk away from anything on Eneloops, 1 or 2 cells. Some folks have had QC problems (mine's been great) so buy from somewhere easy to return like Amazon.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
LOL... how I can relate!!!

I also picked up a dozen or so Duraloops at the same time. And... there they sat :(
I put some in kids remotes, but didn't have any lights to run on them (except a 2AA mini maglight pro.)
So I picked up a few 2AA rayovac $1.50 EVB2AALED-B 12 lumen lights (with batteries)
I tried a 6*AA Ozark Trail 500 lumen light, and found that if all of the batteries weren't completely charged, or were of different capacities, that the light would fail when the weakest battery went south. So I bought a newer... better charger (to go with the duraloops I wasn't really using :( )

This Fall, my wife bought a bunch of golden globes with twinkling LED lights, and some LED candles, and my duraloops finally had a new home. :)

I'd like to suggest that you might get a couple of those Warm/yellow LED candles and use them for mood lighting in the house, and power outages.

OR... there are a few AA lanterns that you might like.

Fenix makes CL20 a 2*AA / 1* CR123 lantern that I haven't seen, but others seem to like it.

Energizer makes two that I really like.
The 4 or 8 cell Energizer Folding lantern with light fusion technology
and the 4 cell Energizer Pop up lantern with light fusion technology.

All three have a regulated output.
The energizers produce a relatively small amount of glare due to the way that they diffuse the light.
The larger one, due to the larger diffuser puts out less glare.

Last edited:

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
My birthday was in the first week of December and I treated myself to Olight's new ST-25 Baton. It's a really good AA light. I also have a Nitecore EA2 which I like as well. Both of those are worth looking at.

Have you considered a 4 AA light? I have one in the car and it is bright.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
..........Have you considered a 4 AA light? I have one in the car and it is bright.
I was going to suggest a 4xAA light too.

I also have a lantern that uses 3xD cells and I bought some 3xAA to D adapters and that uses up 9 of my AA batteries.