any ebike or escoters owners here?

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Coeur d'Alene City Council unanimously approved Tuesday an emergency declaration to allow the city to expedite the process of purchasing replacement items without having to comply with formal bidding procedures.

I'm thinking it was no accidental fire.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm thinking it was no accidental fire.
Was wondering the same, but thinking the comment about how everyone was 'trained' on e-bikes is a question. Leaving lithium batteries on the charger overnight is never a good idea.

Hopefully we will learn the results of the investigation. Thinking one possible reason is some rider took a significant spill, and lack of training did not inform how a short resulting from harsh impact could cause a catastrophic event later.

My wonderful ebike is stored in an outbuilding.

The answer of course, is to use LFP and other, safer battery chemistry.

mrfixitman

Enlightened
Was wondering the same, but thinking the comment about how everyone was 'trained' on e-bikes is a question. Leaving lithium batteries on the charger overnight is never a good idea.

Hopefully we will learn the results of the investigation. Thinking one possible reason is some rider took a significant spill, and lack of training did not inform how a short resulting from harsh impact could cause a catastrophic event later.

My wonderful ebike is stored in an outbuilding.

The answer of course, is to use LFP and other, safer battery chemistry.
Best to store nickel-based lithium at @20 to 80% state of charge. Charge to 100% if you must just before leaving.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
My ebike battery pack over-winters in a climate controlled location typically at less than 70%.

In our truck is a good sized fire blanket as well.

Hoping to get an update on the cause of that Idaho damage.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two. First is a radrunner two. I've upgraded the controller to be 35A instead of 11A. Much better. The second is a home built fat bike with a bbshd and a 52v 19.2ah battery made with Samsung 21700 cells
71176388217__185F7950-918C-4AF2-AD50-010C607668EF.jpeg
camphoto_342241519.jpeg

raggie33

*the raggedier*
OK I was to build my own what's the cheapest route ?I don't care about looks only function

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK I was to build my own what's the cheapest route ?I don't care about looks only function
Don't you have that white cargo bike? the cheapest would be front wheel. but it depends on a purpose, FW may not be the best one.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'd want to go the route @alpg88 took. A bafang bbs02 is about $300. A 52v 13a battery is about $250. Then add it to your bike of choice. It's a mid-drive so you'll get climbing power and speed due to using the gears

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm pretty sure I installed 1000 w bbshd, this is not the first bafang mid drive I put together, lol.

@raggie33, 52v 13Ah battery for $250 will get you a pack with no name cells lottery that wont last long, been there done that, there is a reason why battery with cells like lg, Samsung, Panasonic cost 500 and up. the whole set up cost me 1600 with Panasonic cells. FW set up will cost you same for a battery, but a motor is around 300. you are limited for power however, not many front wheel motors are bigger then 500w, also keep in mind Direct drive motor will cause a drag when pedaled unpowered, however geared motors with internal clutch will Not cause any drag, and are as easy to pedal as with no motor at all. However the biggest PITA is to change a tire on a hub motor, they usually do not come off easy, wiring and all. Also no matter what type of motor you get, invest in motor bracket, or torque arm, they do nto cost much but can save you from latter issues, they will stop motor from spinning inside BB bracket or drop outs

IMG_7173dd.jpg

@r

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm pretty sure I installed 1000 w bbshd, this is not the first bafang mid drive I put together, lol.

@raggie33, 52v 13Ah battery for $250 will get you a pack with no name cells lottery that wont last long, been there done that, there is a reason why battery with cells like lg, Samsung, Panasonic cost 500 and up. the whole set up cost me 1600 with Panasonic cells. FW set up will cost you same for a battery, but a motor is around 300. you are limited for power however, not many front wheel motors are bigger then 500w, also keep in mind Direct drive motor will cause a drag when pedaled unpowered, however geared motors with internal clutch will Not cause any drag, and are as easy to pedal as with no motor at all. However the biggest PITA is to change a tire on a hub motor, they usually do not come off easy, wiring and all. Also no matter what type of motor you get, invest in motor bracket, or torque arm, they do nto cost much but can save you from latter issues, they will stop motor from spinning inside BB bracket or drop outs

View attachment 63875
@r
You are correct. From the side photo it looked like you had the small fins of the BBSO2, my apologies. But you're wrong about the battery. I guess you just don't know where to buy them. I got a 52 V 19.2 ah battery with LG 4800mah cells for around $350. I've taken it apart, the cells are genuine, and it is very well-made. And the range that I get from it is indicative of the battery specs.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
The rear hub motor on my bike is said to be something like 3000W and I believe it. Changing a flat tire is much more of a deal, for sure. I placed 2 torque arms. Thing about ebikes is that using tougher, heavier stuff is not that big a deal, because it is being run by a motor. Our rugged terrain and significant topography become a breeze with that much torque a throttle twist away.

Consider using a good quality controller both for safety and features. Regenerative braking, when done right, is really nice.

Thinking this is what I got, but paid extra for an advanced controller:

$650 for motor and balance of system (maybe $100 more for controller)

$790 for 72V 20Ah battery pack

Latest posts