Any info on Wolfeyes Night Hunter (or aspherics)?

joe1512

Enlightened
I havent seen any reviews for what ought to be a pretty good light.

The Night Hunter has an XM-L emitter claiming 1000 lumens (which is BS) but specifices an OTF of 550ish, with 450 when focused.

Yeah, it uses an aspheric lens. I was under the impression that this wouldn't work all that great due to the larger surface area of the emitter.

I would really love to have a powerful SST-50/MC-E level light (500+ lumens), that can also focus with an adjustable aspheric. I use my cheapo 10 buck XR-E one from ebay for most of my tasks, despite having a pretty good 2x18650 MC-E for more general purpose outdoors stuff.

However, I just havent found anything.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wrote directly to WolfEyes about 2 months ago and they directed me to a reseller who never wrote back. After a lot and a LOT of research, I gave up on Wolfeyes for focusable lights. The only reports I saw was that their focus lights wasn't as good a quality as the rest of their lines. I saw a few videos on Youtube and what I saw didn't impress me: flood wasn't wide enough and wayyyyy too many rings on the focused setting (almot like a bad spill).

I then decided to take a chance. I ordered a Led Lenser M7R. After all, I almost bought something I didn't want anymore after seeing 2 videos, so what could I loose? Plenty of people insist they are very satisfied with Led Lenser quality, so I figured they certainly can't all be wrong. Turns out the M7R is a very nice and well-built light (German engineering after all). OK, it's not anywhere near 400 lumens+, but it does what I wanted it to: Throw with no spill and flood evenly on a wide area.

Sorry for telling such a long tale and make you wait till the end for the information you might be looking for:
Microfire Pioneer 1 = 230 lumens
Microfire Pioneer II = 1200 lumens (sounds like what you're looking for?)
Not sure if they're aspherical focusables, but looks like very nice lights. Just do a search on google and you'll get plenty of youtube links with impressive throw tests.

I did a lot of searching for a good focusable in the past 6 months and this is the best I came up with... I hope this helps

Mike@PTS

Enlightened
Hi guys,
Some inside info for you.
We stocked the R2 version which had the best focus compared to the XP-G. The beam was very ringy and the bezel adjustment always moved when you didn't want it to. It had average throw for an aspheric. When the Night Hunter was in the R&D stage I suggested a lock nut to lock the focus in one position and some knurling on the body for a little grip. After all this is marketed as a weapons mountable light but the body where you would attach a light mount is smooth.
We tested the Night Hunter on an M4 and a 12gage Shoty and during recoil the flashlight changed modes. The reason for this was there was only one spring in the battery tube and the tail cap was a solid contact. The battery was loosing contact at the tail cap interrupting the circuit and forcing it to switch to the next mode. I do not recommend the NightHunter.

In addition Xenonics Holdings holds a US trademark on "NightHunter" for their illumination systems and flashlights. Wolf Eyes may not be able to sell the NightHunter in the USA for very long.

The Real NightHunter
http://www.xenonics.com/NightHunter/

Sorry for the rambling but I'm not so happy with Wolf Eyes these days.

Last edited:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info, Mike. I haven't been very impressed with the few reviews I've seen, now you've confirmed I was right to stay away from that one.

Does the R2 have only one srping and smooth body as well?