Any light with good beacon that runs for days?

ktsl

Newly Enlightened
Just to clarify, the newer ZL have the 4Hz and 19Hz strobes, and two 0.2Hz beacons (1 flash ~every 10 seconds); one mode is whatever you have your low mode set to and the other is max brightness.
Thanks for pointing it out. I had a quick look over at ZL flashlights. On the website, it says both the new SC63 and SC600 has the 0.2Hz beacon modes. The SC 5 didn't say.

jak

Enlightened
Thanks for pointing it out. I had a quick look over at ZL flashlights. On the website, it says both the new SC63 and SC600 has the 0.2Hz beacon modes. The SC 5 didn't say.
The SC5 does NOT have the beacon modes.

Looking forward to the results:)
Me too! My timing isn't to great though, on account of me leaving town for a few days while the test is running.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the personal beacon idea. The one I have in mind isn't an epirb, but just a beacon with a clip and magnet for mounting purposes. The one I had ran on a single 'C' cell, and was rated to last for days. Maratac has what they call a 'Temporary Landing Light' that has a flashing beacon as one of its three modes. On one 'C' cell it was tested at 300 lumens for 150 hours at 70hz. Cost is $50, but if that gives you peace of mind, it should be worth it.

Wendee

Enlightened
+1 on the personal beacon idea. The one I have in mind isn't an epirb, but just a beacon with a clip and magnet for mounting purposes. The one I had ran on a single 'C' cell, and was rated to last for days. Maratac has what they call a 'Temporary Landing Light' that has a flashing beacon as one of its three modes. On one 'C' cell it was tested at 300 lumens for 150 hours at 70hz. Cost is $50, but if that gives you peace of mind, it should be worth it.

Interesting! I looked it up. It also has constant on, both high and low modes (like a regular light). There's some type of built in diffuser dome. I wonder if that would prevent light from projecting high towards the sky (to be seen above tree tops)?

It's a neat little light. "Strobe" (looks more like beacon) 150 hours at 300 lumens? So, 6 days straight, wow.

TLL, Temporary Landing Light, Rev 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbA7HILqwG4

Using a single Duracell C Cell battery we got the following results:
•Contant On, Low mode, 40 lumens output for upto 375 hours
•Contant On, High mode, 300 lumens output for upto 75 Hours
•Stobe mode, 300 Lumens output for upto 150 Hours ( 70 Beats Per Minute )

Last edited:

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to clarify, the newer ZL have the 4Hz and 19Hz strobes, and two 0.2Hz beacons (1 flash ~every 10 seconds); one mode is whatever you have your low mode set to and the other is max brightness.

As for longevity... I can only assume that it will "run for days". But for good measure, my testing has NOW started. (Zebralight SC600 III HI) I'll update in 24 hours on how it's doing/battery life remaining.

I have long wished for a slow strobe mode (beacon) on all my lights. These companies underestimate the usefulness of the beacon mode as a signaling device. My H52w and H502w don't have the 0.2Hz flash. None of the AA lights has it, even the newer models. I feel like a second class Zebralight customer. This is BS, man.

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Using a single Duracell C Cell battery we got the following results:
•Contant On, Low mode, 40 lumens output for upto 375 hours
•Contant On, High mode, 300 lumens output for upto 75 Hours
•Stobe mode, 300 Lumens output for upto 150 Hours ( 70 Beats Per Minute )

Anyone want to buy the Brooklyn Bridge? ;)

Sadly, those specs are so badly exaggerated they wouldn't meet the ANSI's 10% rule even if that were the output for the entire claimed runtime (i.e., 4 lms for 375 hrs, and 30 lms for 75 hrs... constant on). You won't beat ~300 lumen-hours (lms X hrs) per 2000 mah Eneloop equiv. (in this case, 1200 lm-hrs for an 8000 mah C cell).

Example: ZL SC52 specs 300 lms for 0.9 hrs on a 2000mah Eneloop

This is not even considering the capacity loss Alkalines will suffer under heavy draw. A boost driver will pull ~2amps from a 1.5v cell to yield 300 lms, where the C cell's capacity will fall below that of even a single 2000mah Eneloop (according to this datasheet).

jak

Enlightened
I have long wished for a slow strobe mode (beacon) on all my lights. These companies underestimate the usefulness of the beacon mode as a signaling device. My H52w and H502w don't have the 0.2Hz flash. None of the AA lights has it, even the newer models. I feel like a second class Zebralight customer. This is BS, man.
You'll have to switch to CR123 or 18650s if you want the beacon.

Another manufacturer that addresses the original post's question is FOURSEVENS. Many of their lights offer high and low beacon modes.

My SC600 HI is currently at running strong at 30+ hours (3 out of 4 flashes). But I'm afraid I'm going to need to restart this test. A) I didn't start with a fresh battery, and B) I will be out of town unable to monitor its progress.

One other correction: I stated it flashes once every ~10 seconds. I'm wrong by a factor of 2. It's once every 5 seconds.

_nw

Newly Enlightened
HDS lights have a beacon mode. Pretty sure I've seen some runtime tests that went for many weeks, but I might be remembering a different test.

Wendee

Enlightened
Anyone want to buy the Brooklyn Bridge? ;)

Sadly, those specs are so badly exaggerated they wouldn't meet the ANSI's 10% rule even if that were the output for the entire claimed runtime (i.e., 4 lms for 375 hrs, and 30 lms for 75 hrs... constant on). You won't beat ~300 lumen-hours (lms X hrs) per 2000 mah Eneloop equiv. (in this case, 1200 lm-hrs for an 8000 mah C cell).

Example: ZL SC52 specs 300 lms for 0.9 hrs on a 2000mah Eneloop

This is not even considering the capacity loss Alkalines will suffer under heavy draw. A boost driver will pull ~2amps from a 1.5v cell to yield 300 lms, where the C cell's capacity will fall below that of even a single 2000mah Eneloop (according to this datasheet).

Wow. The TLL is a Maratac sold on CountyComm. So the stats they provide for the TLL are all "badly exaggerated"? If so, that's horrible! :mad:

I've purchased a Maratac AAA flashlight from CountyComm and it's really great (and it got good reviews) so I'm surprised CountyComm would be sneaky like that. Actually, I've never read a bad review about any products they sell. I wonder why the exaggerated specs for this particular product... :shrug:

Thanks for the info on "C" cells. Good to know. :)

So for emergency beacon light that runs for days, I guess the "Temporary Landing Light" wouldn't be a good choice.

It's strange that the company says these lights were ordered by, and made for, the US military. :thinking:

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow. The TLL is a Maratac sold on CountyComm. So the stats they provide for the TLL are all "badly exaggerated"? If so, that's horrible! :mad:

I've purchased a Maratac AAA flashlight from CountyComm and it's really great (and it got good reviews) so I'm surprised CountyComm would be sneaky like that. Actually, I've never read a bad review about any products they sell. I wonder why the exaggerated specs for this particular product... :shrug:

Thanks for the info on "C" cells. Good to know. :)

So for emergency beacon light that runs for days, I guess the "Temporary Landing Light" wouldn't be a good choice.

It's strange that the company says these lights were ordered by, and made for, the US military. :thinking:

I'm not sure what the relationship is between CountyComm and Maratac is, but I've never seen a dealer list anything other than manufacturer specs. Your AAA specs are well within reason though, a AAA has about half the capacity of an Eneloop, so should be with ~150 lumen-hours. Max and min are within that range. Medium claims 280 lm-hrs (40x7), but ANSI permits unregulated output to decline to 10% of originally. Assuming a linear output decline (from 40 to 4 lumens) due to battery depletion, the average output can realistically be 22lms for 7 hours for 154 lm-hrs.

ANSI spec standards (which I don't see Maratac claiming, btw) are virtually worthless, the rules are wide enough to drive a truck through. For example, THIS is Maglite gaming the ANSI 10% rule, and THIS is between even reputable companies: Zebralight's 324 lm-hrs vs Eagletac's 188 lm-hrs spec claims - I ran the same test, with same results... it's typical across the series.

As for the TLL, my guess is that it competes in the lantern market where there's really no one testing/keeping manufacturers honest. They are just trying to keep up with the Joneses.

ktsl

Newly Enlightened
I just double checked zebralight. It seems, all their cr123/18650 lights, old or new, have 0.2Hz beacon. But none of their AA flashlights has it. I am curious what's the design philosophy behind it. Beacon/sos is a must have for me.

Last edited:

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just double checked zebralight. It seems, all their cr123/18650 lights, old or new, have 0.2Hz beacon. But none of their AA flashlights has it. I am curious what's the design philosophy behind it. Beacon/sos is a must have for me.

I asked them why my H52w and H502w don't have the 0.2Hz mode. Here is what they said:

"Thanks for your comments and suggestions. The 0.2Hz won't work in our low voltage lights (SC52, H52, ...) unless we add some extra circuitry that's a bit too much to squeeze in (space wise). But I am sure we'll find ways to add that feature in some future low voltage lights when the components are getting smaller. "

Are you kidding me? My 6 year old Quark Mini AA is smaller than the H52w has a full suite of blinking modes including beacon and SOS. I am done with buying AA lights from them until they include the 0.2Hz mode. I encourage you to contact them too. Maybe if more people show interest, they will listen.

One more thing: the H52w is designed to work with 14500 battery. That's not low voltage.

Last edited:

ktsl

Newly Enlightened
Lol, seems I am not the only one who is bothered by zebra AA lights lacking beacon.
Here is some good news to share with you folks. I asked Zebralight and here is their reply:

"Yes, I think four years after the SC52/H52 release, we should be able to add that (0.2Hz or something similar) into a driver."

Cheers