Any oldschool folk here from 10+ years ago?

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Still here... and still checking batteries to see how well they perform. Still using lights almost every night.

Tom

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess it's been 10 years for me. I disappeared for a couple years in the middle there, but came back when it was time to start replacing everyone's keychain lights...

--flatline

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah I went from buying LED lights initially. Then I met David Chow and the modding started, next thing I know I bought a mini lathe learned a few things on that and like it so much that I sold the mini and bought a larger lathe for more fun.

We lost some great members along the way.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, back after a long hiatus. Still using my Streamlight Incan Scrpion, SF G2, E2e, E1e, M6 plus my first LEDs: the AAA & ARC LS. Gotta find a new Kroll switch.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
10 YRS! WOW, Is It true people back then used to carry a pocket full of stick matches for light??
I've only been here for 5yrs, about the time I found my first love a Thrunite T30S before that I had about 20 Maglites all converted to various brightness of LED.
Welcome back to the darkside young Skywalker.

Did you ever see the infamous "Fire-on-a-Stick" review?? :D

Feb of 2008 was when I joined.

I had been searching for one of those new-fangled "LED" lights and bought the first generation of Mini-Mag LEDs (had the Luxeon III emitter).

This light had the infamous "sudden death" cut-off when the batteries ran low, as I'm sure the old-timers remember. After it left me in the dark a couple of times, I came across CPF while searching for something better. Ended up buying a Fenix L1D and E01 combo deal. The L1D has the "Q2" bin Cree that was making such a huge splash at the time!

The E01 died via alkaline murder years ago (I didn't know any better!).

Still have the Mini-Mag and L1D though. I use 'em to discharge NiMH cells prior to recharging. They both still work fine.

4EYyR3w.jpg

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can hardly believe it's been more than 10 years for me. I bought a few things in the marketplace before actually joining.

I was away from the community for the last 5 ish years. I have EDC'd a light every day though. Mostly my McGizmo Mules and a Tana TripLED 219 E2D.

It feels good to be home.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, happy anniversary to me! Now I can say howdy in this thread. Been here pretty much every day since joining.

The things one acquires over a ten year period. MERCY!

Chauncey, wow, you are WAY more organized than I am! I've got lights stashed in various drawers, closets, etc etc.

Sometimes I'll come across one I forgot I had!

--------

It's been a looong time since I paid much attention to what was happening in the flashlight world. I ended up with a bunch of Quarks back when David was still cranking them out, prior to the Surefire lawsuit. After that happened I drifted away, since I had plenty to last me.

I did get really bummed out a year ago when I was trying to find 18650s for my old Fenix TK30, and discovered that none of the new style 18650 would fit! They're all too fat! That TK30 is pretty much mint condition and the only thing I can feed it are some old old AW cells that are on their last legs and aren't going to go much farther.

That has soured me on specialty battery lights; now I'm only looking at AA-powered stuff. At least now there are some high-powered AA lights out there. I even got one of those 6xAA Energizer lights that's something like 1000 lumens, neutral white! I think it was like 30 bucks at Home Depot. Who would've imagined that ten years ago?! (not me anyway).

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Anybody remember that picture of the guy with the shoulder-mounted 600 lumen flashlight? Was a long time ago, but I know one of you has it on a hard drive somewhere..

Lolaralph

Enlightened
Crazy but I've been here over 10 years. Like most everyone else I've drifted away at times but always find myself coming back time from time. With the free time provided by covid 19 I've had the itch to update a few of my older mods. Takes some time to remember how I used to do some of this stuff, lol. Figuring out the new emitters, what drivers, etc has kept me busy.

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome, goodbye.

Old-timers, new-timers.

Old old-timers.

Incan, HID, LED, LEP.

2000, 2007, 2009, 2020.

Sometimes life goes in circles, sometimes it goes up-up-up.

And where are we? Either in the middle, or at one of the ends.

Some consider CPF'rs eccentric, I think they are super.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wandered back to the site for the first time in ages today - seeing a lot of familiar names and avatars in this thread giving me warm and fuzzies. I hope everyone's well.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Still here. I did kind of step away for a few months, but been here regularly lately. I really look forward to clicking on Candlepower. It always feels like I'm with friends.

Geoff