Any one into two way Radio

TORCH_BOY

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am curious if there are any people who may have interests
into two way Radio communications of any kind, Eg, CB, Fire,
Security, courier drivers, Ham Radio operators,Boy Scouts, and even the keen hobbyist. What type of equipment do you use Eg Motorola,Kenwood,Yaesu, Phillips, Icom, Drake Ect, you can even mention Antenna setups, tuners, packet radio Ect. You can even mention your Club or Club meets.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grouphug.gif

KC2IXE

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Re: Any one into two way Radio Comms

There are a few hams here

MOST of my VHF/UHF gear is GE/Erricson/M/A-Com/Tyco (all the same) ranging from a 6m (50Mhz) Rangr, UHF and VHF (Hi) Rangrs, a pair of VHF High MVSes, a pair of UHF MDXs. There is a Kenwood dualbander running around, a Radio Shack 2m rig used for APRS, 2 GE MPA HTs, and Icom HT, and a Icom HF rig - this does NOT count the 2 scanners

My truck has 2 NMO mounts with Larsen antennas, has a "spare" mag mount beind the seat (with antenna), there is a copper pipe j-pole and mounting gear in the back (with coax). The house has a diamond Dual bander, and a 66ft G5RV. I'm going to add a Commet Tri Band (6m,2m,440Mhz) antenna in the spring. There are some "other" antennas running around

As for clubs, I'm a member of HoSARC ( www.hosarc.org ) and am the Queens County Emergency Coordinator for NYC District ARES

TORCH_BOY

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast

Am into Ham radio and CB radio, seguipment used, Motorola GP339 HT for 63 cm CB band, Icom GX 40 CB band, Panther am ssb for 27MHZ band. Ham rigs used are, Yaesu FT 102 HF valve back end, FT 757 HF solid state, FT 101E HF valve back end,
Motorola GP 338 HT, 70 cm band, Yaesu FT 530 dual band HT 2M
and 70cm, Yaesu VX-5 tri band HT 6m, 2m, and 70cm, Yaesu VX 150R HT, Standard C528 dual bamd HT 2m, 70cm, Yaesu FT-51 dual band HT, 2M, 70cm, and 63cm CB band, Motorola MCX1200 mobile used for 70cm band, Phillips FM-91 mobile 70cm band,
Phillips FM-92 vhf mobile, Yaesu FT-90R dual band mobile 2M, 70cm, Yaesu FT-1500 2m mobile, FT-847 Base HF,6m,2m,70cm.
Various antenas are used depending on the situation.
Radio club WIA, overall its a great adventure

A

Aloft

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
TORCH_BOY said:
I am curious if there are any people who may have interests
into two way Radio communications of any kind. . .
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grouphug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm also a member of the Amateur Radio Service /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I've been a "ham" for almost a quarter of a century, though a bit less active than average, I would guess. I've got a Kenwood TS-2000X, Yaesu FT-97, Kenwood TH-F6, Kenwood G71, Kenwood TM-D700, a Rigrunner for operating PSK-31, and a few worldband receivers laying around. Member of the Coast Guard Radio Club and sometimes shower upper at my local Amateur Radio Club. I think they're are probably quite a few hams on CPF. . . it's a "gadget" thing!

Roy

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator

Ham call = N5TAM

Kenwood TM-V7 50w dual band data 2m/440 - In the house
Kenwood TM D700 50w dual band data 2m/440 - in the car connected wwith a Garmin35 GPS
Kenwood TH-D7 5w dual band data HT 2m/440 - used mostly as a portable APRS b ase station
Kenwood TH-77 5w dual band HT 2m/440
Yaesu VX-5R 5w dual band HT 2m/440
Alinco DJ-C5 300mw dual band ht 2M/440
4 Alinco DR-140 50w 2m data radios on three APRS digipeaters

Main interrest is as a Sky Warn Stormspotter with one actual chase down of a tornado and one visual look into the center of a rotating wall cloud!...had to pull the seat covers out of my butt on that one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

lymph

lymph

Enlightened

I'm a ham operator. Call is AC6XA. I haven't been on the air in a while, though, and I don't have a radio. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I used to have a Kenwood TH-79A and a Heathkit SB-102. I mainly operated 40 meter CW. I also played with packet radio and local repeaters.

I also enjoyed building and operating very low power (QRP) CW transmitters/transceivers.

Someday, when the phat cash starts rollin' in, I'll get some radios.

J

Jack_Crow

Enlightened

Hi boss,
Ive been a ham since the early 80's (I think).

Lately Ive been converting some old Midland two way radios for ham service. Got one in the car I need to put in. IT's a 60watt 42 to 50 mhz radio I was able to tune up to the ham 6m band. I need to punch a hole for the antenna and get some power to that bad boy before I can light it off.

Been playing with my new XM receiver. Now that's fun!

Converted many a radio. Made several repeaters (most of which are still on the air) out of old Motorola Micors. Set up the MP's radios while I was still in Iraq. Worked for some strange two way radio shops. Also spent more than a long time working in Full Duplex radio, of the kind that's used to clean up chemical weapons. Now that's odd ball stuff.

What do you want to know?

Been colecting some old CB sets. Got at home a Royce SSB mobile that seems to work. Picked up on Ebay a Motorola System 500 CB radio that needs a mic element (common failure with the old Mocats). Restored an old Johnson 40 channel to health, and a K40 small radio for kicks. I like fixing old CB sets. Did that as one of my first jobs out of tech school. Looking for some CPI, Teaberry, or Mars CB radios that might be cheap enough to restore.

One word of advice. Stay away from Tait two way radios. Ive only worked on one and it was a pile of crap.

Later dude
Jack Crow aka KA2ZEV (In West Palm Beach FLA for the moment)

C

Chris_Medico

Newly Enlightened

Ham KC4YLE

I've got a few radios but all packed up at the moment as I sort out a new house.

When I get back on the air I'll have:
Kenwood 570 HF+6m
Kenwood 430 HF

Alinco hand held VHF/UHF
RS hand held VHF
Icom 3220 mobile VHF/UHF