Any Scion xa owners?

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought the scion xa model last Monday. It has the manual tranny, basic radio and side air bags and seat bolsters. Thats it. Its the silver color model with dark interior.

I keep the hub caps removed, think the black wheels look way better. THe gas petal is way too easy to press and for a while I was driving it with my right shoe off and using my big toe to work it. I now have a tennis ball under the petal to make it harder to press and try to keep it under 3 grand. 3 grand seems to be the magic number to make it burn more or less fuel before shifting or coasting.

Also wasnt aware with it in the defroster mode it runs the ac. I like to have air blow in all three directions, floor, vent and windows. Seems to warm up way quicker with the heat off for a few minutes. Plus inside air warms it up, using outside air with heat it will never warm up inside.

Looking for filling it up to see what type of fuel economy I get, then later on the cold air intake, muffler upgrade, roof rack and cruise control.

One thing I love are the lights. Low beams lights up evenly the front area in front of the car. High beams shines a lot of light everywhere in front of the car. Unlike the murrano I rented that just had a small swarft of light right in front of the bumper, then high beams just move it out a few feet.

Ctechlite

Enlightened
I'd suggest not to put that tennis ball under the throttle pedal. If it becomes dislodged and moves under your brake pedal you will be in big trouble.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ctechlite said:
I'd suggest not to put that tennis ball under the throttle pedal. If it becomes dislodged and moves under your brake pedal you will be in big trouble.

+ eleventy!

I assume you are just used to a heavier gas pedal. Unless you have nerve damage in your leg or back, it shouldn't take you more than a couple days to get used to the lighter pedal. I mean, out of the tens of thousands of xA and xB drivers out there, I bet you are the only one with a tennis ball under the gas pedal.

Good choice on the car though. In that price range, I really like the xA and xB.

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been looking at a Scion xB myself. I first really got in one at the Houston AutoShow this year and enjoyed it. Lots of room for the size, and a great camping mobile which is perfect for me. If I could find a good used one, I would go for it I expect. They are made by a Toyota, so I assume you get their quality in cars...Is that so far right, with current owners?

-C

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hear the xb is very popular and gets 43 mpg according to a former owner I met at the toyota dealer. No sooner I signed the papers for my xa did I hear it was discontinued, but the xb was going strong. The price sealed the deal, the only other car there for 14 grand was the yaris 3 door hatch back, this car I have is a 5 door hatch back. Has a 3 year 36 month, but for a thousand more I bought the 84 month extended warranty.

FWIW, I am exactly at 150 miles on the odo and 2 marks before the half tank reading on the gas meter. I did however discover I drive 19.8 miles a day vs the guesitmate of 15. Going to be a few weeks before I hit empty. I may fill it up at half way just to see how much is used or is left and rough fuel economy. I think the new cars need at least half a tank to keep the fuel pump cool as its inside the tank and the fuel is used to keep the pump cool. With the mercedes I use to keep it at half a tank down to R. I didnt see any need in hauling around 17 gallons of diesel for going back and forth to work.

Now its just a matter of getting together all the cleaners, fluids to care for it and keep it like new. I got the rain x car wash with the wax bubble inside. Macguires spray wax, rain x fog x, scotch guard, tire shine. Then some terry cloth towels, some micro beed cloths and a hand mit with all the stringie terry cloth threads on it. Lets nor forget a small bucket.

The ball is wedged between the floor and petal wth a zip tie. THe mercedes you had to stand on it to move the gas petal. Meaning if you lay your foot on top of it it would not move, you had to push. The scion the weight of your foot alone will floor it and just tapping it changed the engine speed from 500 rpms to 1500rpms.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Filled up my third time, 38.58 mpg. Just driving the hell out of it with a passenger and some stuff from sams club. Boy was it throatie with all that stuff inthe back.

lahjik

Newly Enlightened
My wife has a longer commute (60 miles one way) so we just bought a new 3 door Yaris last week. Getting just under 38mpg with most of the driving on freeway at 70. Hoping that will go up a little after we get cruise control installed next week.

The Yaris, which is a 3 door version of the XA, is great for the size. At 6'3", I fit with no problems - it actually has more room than our RAV-4. The 3 doors also means the doors are larger and allow easier access to the front. Even with the power package and the 6 year/100,000 mile warrenty it came to just under $17,000!

And, given the bright blue color, it is just crying out for some nice blue LED mods!

analogguy

Enlightened
I read that both the Xa and Xb will be discontinued. Will return for 2008 model year with design changes. The pix that I saw smoothed over the sharp angles on both vehicles.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
True, the xa is gone, will be replaced with the xd, which looks similar. THe xb is going to be redesigned with rounder edges and a 2.5 l engine, 5 speed automatic and some other upgrades.

My second choice was the yaris batch back, but my parents could not squeeze inside, plus their walkers. I loved the one I drove, I was doing 70 without even aware of it down the interestate I drove it. Plus it can turn on a dime. My only problem was putting in 3d vs od when I shifted it. The sticker was 14010, I hope your 17 grand included the dealer fees, finanice fees and extended warranty. THe one I drove had no radio, just ac, auto tranny and rear defroster and cold weather package. No abs or side air bags. THe sedan is nearly 18 grand. I drove one as a rental car when mines was having the manual tramnsmission looked at and it was rather roomy inside and my folks seemed to like and asked why I got the xa. Told them the reason was about 3 grand and change.

The fuel economy does improve with use and driving. Dont hold your breath about cc increasing the fuel economy. It made my mercedes worse and usualy does in most cases. Just make sure the shifter is near the D or the right side of the Drive slot vs the 3d slot on the left. Also, try filling it up with half a tank or 10 bucks of gas vs lugging around a full tank. Then making sure the tires are at their upper air pressure limits as well.

I basically dogged the sedan I drove and it burned .8 gallons to go from Colonial Heights to Hopewell and back with mixed city and interestate driving.