Anybody but me hate detents on pocket knives?

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Joe Talmadge said:
Aside from my zillion other complaints about liner locks, the frequent bad execution on the ball and detent is yet another.
Joe

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that this issue is closely related to the debate between different kinds of locks. In my opinion, frame locks and especially liner locks are low on my list while axis locks or even a good lockback are near the top. With them there are no detents at all.

JML

Enlightened
I've never had a well-made point-down knife open in my pocket. But I've had point-up Axis-lock knives open in my pocket or being removed, and cutting my finger. The usual cause for in-pocket or retrieval opening is a thumbstud that catches on fabric.

ErickThakrar

Enlightened
Majority of knives are tip-down? Huh... Not the knives I usually buy. Perhaps you should look at other types then?
The detent is a NECESSITY on ANY liner lock or frame lock. Both to keep you from getting cut accidentally and to, as was stated above, keep the blade centered and opening smoothly.
This goes for both tip-up and tip-down knives.
Gotta tell ya, it's been a looooooong time since I've seen a lockback with out a closing bias. Even when I was a kid, the cheap Pakistani Buck 110 knockoff had a closing bias.
This is almost 20 years ago.
Axis Locks ALL have a closing bias as well. And I have the first Axis Lock to ever get released. The 710.

I've only seen one recent knife that doesn't have a very strong bias to close. It's almost not there it's so weak.
The CRKT Grant Hawk DOG.
Other than that, they all have it and frankly, I'm glad that they do. All my pocketknives that I carry on a regular basis are tip-up. Never buy anything else, unless I plan on modifying it to a tip-up carry, like I did with my BM 630.
It has a detent too.

ZeissOEM2

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Lunal_Tic said:
I just picked up several knives and all but one have detents. The force required to open them is quite hard and the subsequent ease of the blade arc makes opening less controllable, even dangerous. The knives are from Gerber and CRKT. The blasted ball bearing and hole technique makes it hard to remedy. I've tried hammering toothpicks and other things into the hole. Today I'm going to try epoxy. I shouldn't have to do this to make a brand new knife work well. UGH! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

What do you guys think?

-LT

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe the older Gerber was bether.
I get my Gerber FS IId retired last week after 22 years of very,very hard use.
I did not have any trouble with it .Retiring because of almost no wood -only brass left in the handle.Blade ok.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
GarageBoy,

I use the flipper sometimes but you still need a lot of force on the smaller knives to get it open and that force to overcome is when it's least controlable.

ZeissOEM2,
I agree, the older Gerber's were better.

-LT

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a ball and hole detent on the MOD Trident I have, but it's not as secure as the lockback on my Endura for keeping it closed in your pocket. Only had the Trident open on me once, in the back pocket of my 5.11 pants. When I keep it clipped to the front pocket, it's good to go. (note: it was originally a tip down design, to which I remounted the clip for tip up)

The Endura occasionally rides IWB, which I won't do anymore with the MOD.

Rooster Cogburn

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys. I appreciate the concern but I've been using pocket knives for years without the dreaded detent. They are a fairly recent phenomenon. Fortunately I've never had problems with blades opening when pulling them out to be used. The detents are simply a PC move to try and limit the liability of knife manufacturers.

GarageBoy,
Actually I picked up a few CRKTs: Ti M16, Starlight, and a Snap lock.

Jefff,
Picked up a diamond point and a tungsten carbide cutter the other day; both say they work on hardened steel. I may still try the JB Weld though.

-LT
So I've spent the last 16 years trying to figure out what you mean by hating detents. Detents aren't a PC move they keep the blade closed. I'm confused about knives without a detent. What models of knives are detent-less because in all my years I can't remember ever seeing one?

Last edited:

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
Benchmade knives with the axis lock basically use the axis lock to hold the knife open and shut, no need for a traditional detent. Slip joint knives have a back spring to help hold the knife open and closed, but no detent. And butterfly or Balisong knives will not use a detent or anything that replaces it. Out The Front automatic knives don't have a detent. Knives using a back lock like a Buck 110 won't have a detent.

Latest posts