Anybody have a "Chawly Changer" coin dispenser?

AlphaTea

Enlightened
Re: Anybody have a \"Chawly Changer\" coin dispenser

Canadian coins are very common in this part of NY (Rochester) and all of the ones I have tried fit just fine. Loonies and Toonies wont work.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just wanted to post an update after a few months using the Chawly Changer. It has held up great - still looks brand new. It has also proven to work very well. I have long since run out of excess coins and am finding it very easy to keep my stock down to just a few coins. This was a great $6 investment. No more rolling coins for me.

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ha, I'm done with my coins and now working on my girlfriend's stash - That's okay, she prefers to use all my bills instead. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Couldn't get her to use the holder; she's just a hoarder and just prefers to accumulate jarfuls of coins.

jamesraykenney

Newly Enlightened

There is one good thing about hording coins....
That has saved me from going without food the last few days of the month more than once...

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast

Free bump for the Chawly Changer.

Everytime I pull it out to dispense a coin, the clerk says something like "Wow, where did you get that?".

I'm going to order a couple more tonight to give as stocking stuffers.

Marty

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Anybody have a "Chawly Changer" coin dispenser?

Blast from the past, jogged by a post on EDC items- looks like not too many people walk around with one, preferring the jingle.
I see it now has molded-in letters instead of the stickers- the stickers don't seem to be any problem though; I was wondering if they would eventually wear through or peel off, and they just don't. No doubt helped by the recess they sit in, but still surprisingly durable. No planned obsolescence here-:grin2:

D.J.-Wolf

Newly Enlightened

Thank you. When my old computer crashed, I lost a lot of info, one being the name and addy of this little gizmo.

rangemaster

Newly Enlightened

I've carried one for years, constantly get comments on it from cashiers "That's really cool/neat, where did you get it?" etc. I keep a divided container for the excess change in a drawer in the house and "reload" the thing as required. You quickly miss it if you don't put it in your pocket in the morning.

Bill_Jameson

Newly Enlightened

I got a couple of Chawley Changers back in 2004, when this thread was new. They worked well, but I've gone back to my plastic squeeze purse. Old habit. The reason for posting is that I've got a reprint of the 1902 Sears Roebuck Catalog, and somewhere in there is the exact duplicate of the Chawley Changer. Probably worked as well.

Aloft

Enlightened

I never owned a Chawley Changer, but I did manage to find one of those metal change dispensers like new paper carriers used to carry. It cost me considerably more, but it's kind of cool to push the buttons and dispense coins. In fact, that's why I got it...I was defense counsel for a Chief's Initiation in the US Coast Guard (all you Navy and CG folks will understand), and the "Judge" liked the sound of those coins jingling out so much, he "fined" me several more times just to hear it. You don't see these metal ones around much anymore, and they're bigger and heavy than the Chawley, but quick to dispense exact change.

I know someone who works for Coinstar, the company that produces the big green machines in many supermarkets. The fee is 8.9% . . . I used to think that was expensive, but after rolling several hundred dollars worth of coins, writing my account number on them, and hauling them to the bank, I use Coinstar exclusively now. Plus, there are several deals where you get charged NO FEE if you use the money to recharge a Starbucks Card or something similar. In fact, I think at the Albertson's Coinstar machines, you can get a gift card for Amazon.com for no fee. If you have a bank that does this for free . . . you're lucky, but don't wait to turn in your coins, these deals are disappearing fast!

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast

A friend of mine just took is bucket of coins to Commerce Bank and got back some $189 in change. It's supposed to be free, but if they gave him 75% of his money, I doubt he'd have a clue. Then again, he's a bit of a Rainman, so maybe he would.:grin2:
Don't know why people like to hoard the coins until they need to take them in en masse. It's a much bigger hassle doing that than simply using the change as you pay. Force of habit, I suppose.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast

I ordered a Chawly and a McGill on the 21st. The Chawly isn't here yet, but the McGill is, taking a mere 4 days from order to arrival. The McGill is a solid work of engineering. It is made of steel and thick plastic. Unfortunately, it's not, shall we say, something that the well-to-do might carry around on the job - my mom gasped and covered her mouth when she saw it. I think she was surprised as opposed to upset, though.

nerys

Newly Enlightened

If you guys have a Commerce bank anywhere near you they have a machine to count your money it prints a receipt and you goto a teller to get your money. They do not take a cut you get all of it. As for coin dispensers. I used to have this awesome device I used at work. metal tube with funnel on top. You put your hand underneath and pull the lever and it dispenses 4 quarters per pull. It has worn out and is no longer repairable. Any suggestions on where I can get another or something like it ?

me2xv

Newly Enlightened

I think fishing around in your pocket for exact change is a hassle and it makes the person at the register a little annoyed. I am looking at "The Chawly Changer" and I think it's a good idea. I don't know how bulky it would be in your pocket, but for $6.00 I would get one and try it out. If it doesn't work out well in my pocket, I will put it in the car.

I place my coin change in a glass jar and at the end of the year I take it to the nearest CoinStar for counting. I take the money as an e-gift card, so I don't have to pay for counting. It works out very well and it is so much better than wrapping them all and taking them to the bank (which the maximum limit for rolled coins is $5 a month at my bank). On average, I accumulate about $50 in loose coins per year.

BruiseLee

Enlightened

I know this is an old thread, but I just bought my 12th Chawley Changer! I originally bought 6, but my friends, even my sister, ended up liking them, so I stupidly ended up giving all 6 away! So, I just placed my second order for 6. I get positive comments quite often from cashiers who ask about them. I've corresponded with the inventor, who is a very nice, intelligent man. I got my second shipment of changers within 3 days of placing my order. They were meticulously wrapped. In fact, everything about Chawley's operation seems extremely detail/quality oriented. It is definitely my preferred way to carry/deal with change. I used my old ones for years, never had one break, or even show any significant signs of wear. Definitely well worth the money.

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast

I know this is an old thread, but I just bought my 12th Chawley Changer!
And getting older still- Got another comment from a cashier yesterday saying how neat it was, asking where I got it and luckily the website was imprinted on the back so I showed him. Had to go to the website to make sure it was still working, and it was- Only had four to start, left with one after giving away the others. My smoke version actually got smoke on it from a house fire but it's still working same as before.

Latest posts