Anybody tried a TerraLux 2AAA penlight?

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anybody tried one of these TerraLux 2AAA penlights?
http://www.batteryjunction.com/terralux-tlf-802aaa-bk.html

Supposedly 80 lumens, 5 hour runtime, and high CRI - although TerraLux specs should be taken with a grain of salt IMO.

Might be decent for 20 bucks.

Basically it's competing with the new version Streamlight StylusPro at about the same price and similar output level, and also the similar Snap On 2AAA penlight.

SirJohn

Newly Enlightened
It just came out so no-one probably has it yet. Terralux lumen ratings are generally at the emitter so output is more likely in the 55 lumen range. With that said they do claim high CRI and Terralux generally has good customer service and a good warranty. I'm sure someone will pick it up and give us some details.

Edit: I just saw a made in the usa in the description. Up until now, the terralux flashlights have been rebranded nuwai lights from china. I wonder if Terralux is sourcing this one from a US company instead or if its just more smoke.

Last edited:

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hope it has a forward clicky switch with momentary action like the Streamlight Stylus Pro. The linked page doesn't mention the switch.

There is an orange version available, too.

Last edited:

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a recent convert to neutral LEDs (Revo SS neutral), and somebody who is also currently looking for a penlight, I find this very interesting. Thanks, ringzero, for bringing this to our attention.

Here is a link to a site showing a beam shot:
http://www.thetorchsite.co.uk/TerraLUX_LightStar80_TLF-802AA_Penlight_torch.html

Thanks for the useful link, Derek Dean.

Color rendition in that beam shot does look pretty good. Maybe TerraLux is telling the truth about the high CRI emitter.

If TerraLux would begin citing more realistic lumen ratings for their whole line of products, their overall credibility would only improve.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although the beamshot does look pleasing, three things bother me:

1) They don't specify the CRI. I want numbers, as we have had LEDs around 80 CRI for some time. I want to make sure this isn't camera work. A hard number would make me feel better. We know the CRI for various SSC, Nichia, and Cree emitters—where is the data, Terralux?

2) This goes in tandem with number one, but what emitter is it? If Terralux won't tell us, we'll have to wait for a CPF'er to get one...

3) If you google this light, a few of the hits come up as stating the light is neutral white, which is a reference to color temperature, not CRI. Although a neutral penlight is different, it is by no means unique, as we know. The couple beamshots we've seen so far could have been taken with a neutral white Terralux Lightstar 80 in direct comparison to a very cool blue light.

*scratches head*

LEDAdd1ct

Last edited:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a nice e-mail back from Scott at TerraLux. Here is a bit more information about this 2 x AAA penlight:

[FONT=&quot]"CREE XPC and the CRI is >80
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5.5" long, about ¾" wide, and 2.2oz with batts.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Momentary, with click for on/off."

[/FONT]
This is actually an attractive looking 2xAAA penlight. Even if the lumens are inflated a bit (or at the emitter instead of OTF), I could see it putting out 50-60 lumens, which is just about right for my needs.... a bit more than the Streamlight Stylus Pro.

I love that it has a momentary and comes on at a decent level..... 2 things that kind of bugged me about the Preon 2.

It is a bit thicker, and possibly just a bit heavier...... but all-in-all this is looking to be a good contender.... and the fact that TerraLux is at least giving a nod to a higher than normal CRI LED, to me represents a big step in the right direction.
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Monocrom

Flashaholic
From the looks of it, it reminds me of the Streamlight Stylus Pro. Right down to the clip. Might be rebadged.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
From the looks of it, it reminds me of the Streamlight Stylus Pro. Right down to the clip. Might be rebadged.

Not with an 80L output... It might be (and looks like it is) the same body, but clearly a different tail-cap and light engine.

I've been looking for a nice penlight for my laptop bag for some time, for $20 I think I'll pick one up.

EDIT: agh... forgot I need to get a tube of nyogel and some de-oxit for doing maintenance on my lights first, before I actually buy another light...

I like the orange one best.

Last edited:

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought one and it was DOA. It uses 2 AAA batteries and has a clicky, but I can't tell if it's a forward clicky because it won't work. Both the seller and Terralux have not responded to my email. I changed batteries, I tried a screwdriver from the battery to the body--dead as a mackeral! Nobody checked this one. I bought it because of the hi cri LED. It's good that my Preon II is still working!:mad:

UPDATE: Two weeks after I returned mine I got a new light in the mail. Its warm, bright light is a joy to use.

Last edited:

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine arrived today, I just couldn't resist at such a nice price. So here is little review:

I think it's great. I would say it's around 60 lumens, but I can't measure this. It is cool-white, but it definitely has a higher CRI. My HDS EDC high cri is still better, but this light beats all normal cool white lights. To me the color temperature seems to be between 5000k and 4500k. I find it's very light and it's the only light that I have ever had, which is tail heavy (but only a little). I have the orange version and mine has very fine machning lines all around the body, but at this price point I can live with that. The walls are rather thick at about 2mm. The threads are not square-cut and rather thin, but at least there is an o-ring. They are not lubed. The led is almost centered. The smooth reflector is of the cheaper kind and not very reflective (maybe like the one from a mini maglite). The lens seems to be glass, but unfortunately is not ar-coated. The black clip can be removed and seems very strong. The rubber ring for holding the light in one's mouth is a very clever idea and works well enough. The light has a protruding forward clicky switch with a rubber cover. It can be pressed with gloves on. Overall the light feels good in the hand and seems very solid. The beam will put off white wall hunters because it has some artifacts due to the cheap reflector and the not-centered LED. The beam is rather throwy, I would have liked more flood. It out-throws my HDS EDC when the EDC is in the lower modes. Battery rattle depends on the type of batteries used. with cheap aerocell branded batteries and eneloops from 2009 there is rattle. With duracell batteries and energizer ultimate lithiums there is no descernable rattle.

Conclusion:
For the money this light is great. I would say it's one of the best penlights around today. It's nicely built, is easily bright enough for most things, has a higher cri than most lights, and uses very common batteries. Some people might argue that it doesn't have a low mode, but this light isn't meant for going to the bathroom at night or going camping (although you could use it for that). For an electrition for example I think this would be really great.

Last edited:

stevewf1

Newly Enlightened
I just got the TerraLUX 80 penlight and it wouldn't work. Batteries were installed correctly, everything was screwed down tight. Still wouldn't work. I clicked the button about 100 times and suddenly, it came on.

Still a problem, because this thing is extremely dim. Extremely. I think TerraLUX "exaggerates" its Lumens ratings anyway, but my little Fenix E01 (13 Lumens) blows this TerraLUX 80 away.

No way is this light working right. I'm returning it. Too bad because this looks like just the kind of penlight I need...

Streamer

Enlightened
That's too bad stevewf1.

I would Return it for a replacement.

I got one from ebay vendor and couldn't be happier.
Very nice warm-colored beam that is a real color popper.

This sample lives up to manufacturers claims for sure.

speedsix

Enlightened
I just got the TerraLUX 80 penlight and it wouldn't work. Batteries were installed correctly, everything was screwed down tight. Still wouldn't work. I clicked the button about 100 times and suddenly, it came on.

Still a problem, because this thing is extremely dim. Extremely. I think TerraLUX "exaggerates" its Lumens ratings anyway, but my little Fenix E01 (13 Lumens) blows this TerraLUX 80 away.

No way is this light working right. I'm returning it. Too bad because this looks like just the kind of penlight I need...

On paper it looks good and I want to try one but my Stream Light Stylus Pro has been reliable. I want one but there isn't enough feedback to know if it is reliable or not.

T45

Enlightened
I own both a Streamlight Stylus Pro and the TerraLUX 2AAA. I stopped at a local police supply store and had wanted to get another Stylus Pro but opted for the TerraLUX instead. Impressions? The Stylus Pro is much slimmer and comfortable, however, the clicky switch has the well known "hard to activate for constant on" problem. The TerraLUX is wider, and the tailcap switch is easier to press on for constant on. The color is a much warmer tint. My personal preference is for the Stylus Pro for its slimmer profile and Streamlight's warranty. I will be getting another Stylus Pro.

GaAslamp

Enlightened
Color rendition in that beam shot does look pretty good. Maybe TerraLux is telling the truth about the high CRI emitter.

I'm not aware of any high-CRI CREE XP-C emitters (XP-E and XP-G, yes, but XP-C, no)--if there is one, then it's a secret, but somehow I doubt that the LightStar 80 is THAT special.

That said, the one that I just bought does render colors very nicely, in my opinion, whatever its CRI may be. :twothumbs Here is a short review, of sorts, that I posted to the recommendation forum:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...t-flashlight&p=3834887&viewfull=1#post3834887
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...t-flashlight&p=3835329&viewfull=1#post3835329

I got a nice e-mail back from Scott at TerraLux. Here is a bit more information about this 2 x AAA penlight:

"CREE XPC and the CRI is >80

According to CREE's XP-C data sheet, the typical CRI of the neutral white version is 75, not a minimum of 80. Whatever the truth of the matter may be, however, looking at the relative spectral power distribution graph, I'm impressed with the color balance represented by the green curve (neutral white). There is nothing special about the cool white and warm white XP-C emitters, but on paper the neutral white ones stand out against most other neutral white emitters, including the XP-G. I don't know why their typical CRI isn't higher, but regardless they're less deficient in many areas of the spectrum. That curve, regarding wavelengths longer than 525 nm, actually looks a lot like that of the neutral white Rebel emitter used in the high-CRI ZebraLight H51c, for those who are familiar with the latter, and renders colors very much like it in practice (not quite as good, but pretty close--sort of between the H51c and neutral white XP-Gs).

Even if the lumens are inflated a bit (or at the emitter instead of OTF), I could see it putting out 50-60 lumens, which is just about right for my needs.... a bit more than the Streamlight Stylus Pro.

It seems fairly bright, but probably not much brighter, if at all, than the "C4" (really a cool white XP-C, I believe) Stylus Pro.

I love that it has a momentary and comes on at a decent level..... 2 things that kind of bugged me about the Preon 2.

I wouldn't rely on the LightStar 80 as a survival flashlight, since it can cut out without warning and leave you in the dark, but as a penlight used intermittently and repeatedly for getting work done efficiently, it seems ideal. Personally, I think its color rendering would come in handy at times for getting work done efficiently, too.

I think it's great. I would say it's around 60 lumens, but I can't measure this. It is cool-white, but it definitely has a higher CRI. My HDS EDC high cri is still better, but this light beats all normal cool white lights.

Mine is definitely less than 60 lumens on fresh cells (alkaline), but not that far off. It's neutral-warm white (near 4000K and maybe a little lower) rather than cool white, which was a surprise--I guess we got emitters that are on either extreme of the 3700-5000K range of neutral white defined by CREE. It's good to hear that the cooler ones have good color rendering, and this is really why I bought this flashlight, but the one I got does such a good job that I can hardly complain. For some reason, all of the neutral emitters in the budget XP-C series are extra-good at color rendering, even though they are technically not high CRI.

The beam is rather throwy, I would have liked more flood.

The flood is not wide, but it is fairly bright, and while the hotspot is tight and throwy, there is a sort of "corona" around it that is brighter than the rest of the flood and a little wider than most hotspots. Overall, the beam seems quite usable to me. It shows artifacts, as you mentioned, but I'll take it over a typical 5mm LED's or incandescent's beam any day.

Battery rattle depends on the type of batteries used. with cheap aerocell branded batteries and eneloops from 2009 there is rattle. With duracell batteries and energizer ultimate lithiums there is no descernable rattle.

The Chinese-made Duracells that came with mine rattle like crazy, while American-made Duracells do not rattle at all. :D

For the money this light is great. I would say it's one of the best penlights around today. It's nicely built, is easily bright enough for most things, has a higher cri than most lights, and uses very common batteries. Some people might argue that it doesn't have a low mode, but this light isn't meant for going to the bathroom at night or going camping (although you could use it for that). For an electrition for example I think this would be really great.

That's right, it's a mid-budget work penlight, like an electrician or mechanic might use, and as such it's probably the best available right now (provided that it's as durable as it seems to be).

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Snap On light in the UK is on offer via the normal sources and they do a 4 pack(4 different colours),and because of the low price I could not look at any other P-Light at the moment.