Anyone doing mill work?

Flamingtaco

Newly Enlightened
I am building aluminum battery cases of two inch square aluminum tubing, and would like end caps milled from aluminum stock. At this point I need a gross estimate to determine the feasability of having end caps milled. The image below shows the more complicated and larger end cap. If you are interested in milling these, or are familiar with the work and can toss me an estimate, I would appreciate the help.

Thanks,
David

pSBMdFE.jpg

Flamingtaco

Newly Enlightened
After going over the specs and throwing back and forth some of the other ideas I've had, I've decided to go with a larger version using 1.75 x 3.5 tubing. I figure there are a thousand small packs out there. This is obviously going to cost a bit if the end caps are in aluminum, so I'm shooting a bit larger. This design permits eight cells in a 2x4 layout. In etching your own board, it permits most any layout one would like, even isolating the cells to provide different voltage outputs. Since the center piece is simple tubing, it can be cut to permit a single stack of eight, a double stack (16), even a triple stack if one wanted that much power (minimum voltage determined by how many stacks you use).

There is room for a large switch on one side, I'm using a stainless security button with integrated LED that is 3/4" diameter. The other side is set up for drivers, three screw holes in case you need to put a thermal sink on both sides. Plenty room for switches, drivers and cable nuts.

The big hole in the center bridge is for a threaded rod that will run through the top cap for a wing nut to keep it all together. Or maybe a long allen bolt.

Would appreciate some input on this.

7rlNvRr.jpg

Last edited: