Anyone edc a surefire?

Lumen83

Enlightened
I carry a surefire 6P incan for daily tasks. I also carry an EDCL1-T when I'm going into town for an evening, or similar. I don't really see the EDCL1-T as being a great light for daily tasks like walking the dog, working on projects around the house, etc. I see the EDCL1-T as the perfect light for whatever unexpected could pop up. I guess my philosophy is more to find a light suited for a particular task that I am expecting to need a light for, and carry an edc light like the EDCL1-T for everything unexpected in between. I also find that the 5 lumens is suitable for a low beam (for up close tasks and not tasks like dog walking) and that the 500 lumen beam is about the perfect amount of high lumens and beam pattern for an EDC light.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry a surefire 6P incan for daily tasks.

I have to ask, why not an E2e? It's much more compact and puts out the same amount of light. It was and still is a more expensive light than the 6P, but it's so much more convenient to use and carry.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
This finds it's way into my pocket occasionally. Light, thin, bright enough for most uses. I'd love to find someone to put a 219b 4000k or xpl-hi into it for me though. 😁
View attachment 24255

It seems that it is quite easy to disassemble, access to the diode through the front window, there have to follow a special key to unscrew the ring. But there is a danger, once my friend could not unscrew the head on U2 even using a hot air gun, there was a very strong thread lock. There is a plastic window here and it can melt from a hot air gun, so you need to be ready to replace it with a suitable glass.

And here is mine Y300, he has the most durable clip of all SF
1645476317328.png

Quite compact, gives 500 lm. I measured about 10 times, after turning it on in strong mode, it resets the brightness after ~ 20 seconds, that is, the initial brightness is higher than 500 lm, if measured by ANSI FL1, unless, of course, the time counter has not deteriorated and counts the time much faster than it should, if he, for example, should actually hold 40 seconds before going down, then then there is something around 350 lm. In any case, he interrupts the E2D 1000 lm version in range.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Sometimes I'll carry my E2D with a warm Tana module for the ENC (every night carry) when working on remote roadways far from light pollution. The warm output is a nice contrast from all those cool white lamps on construction equipment so I can use it to point out things even when the area is lit up some by them.

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
This is one of my favorite legos. Stock E2D incan head and tailcap on e1 body with a 16340. I get 50 minutes of regulated 40-50 (ish) beautiful incan lumens with this setup. One of my favorite looking surefires of all time. I would like to find a black e1e body for this setup just for the extra cool points.

EE1D37DC-1A76-49CA-9629-0C54407446DB.jpeg

Last edited:

Lumen83

Enlightened
I have to ask, why not an E2e? It's much more compact and puts out the same amount of light. It was and still is a more expensive light than the 6P, but it's so much more convenient to use and carry.

You are right. And the E2e also has a clip, which I like. I did actually carry an E2e for a while when i worked in the office and it was perfect. It even has a better beam pattern in my opinion. Why I carry a 6P which is more bulky, less convenient,etc. I am not really sure. I like the feel of the 6P in hand better. I have bigger hands and I do prefer a fatter light in the hand. I never thought about this, actually. But even knowing that the E2e seems to be superior for all EDC criteria, I still feel like I want to reach for a 6P. I still think that if I was in the office it would be an E2e though. Just fits way better in the pocket of that type of attire.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
As much as I like the E2, the 6P just feels more natural to carry to me. The version with the anti-roll head and slats cut in the sides. Maybe it's the grip? Or the fact that it's that little bit more girth creates a more confident grip?
I dunno.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
As much as I like the E2, the 6P just feels more natural to carry to me. The version with the anti-roll head and slats cut in the sides. Maybe it's the grip? Or the fact that it's that little bit more girth creates a more confident grip?
I dunno.

I am the exact opposite. The E2e creates a more comfortable grip to me than the bulky 6P. My second favorite Surefire light is the C3, and if I feel I need to upgrade from an E2e, which I do sometimes, I always go to that instead.

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dunno.
IMO the 6P provides a more confident grip. Sure it may feel a bit bulky by modern standards, especially when one gets gradually used to the E-system. And while I only ventured into the E-series since late 2018 (and have since EDCed two in my trouser pockets) I still think the 6P (or other C-series) has more capability, such as a better beam profile (depending on quality of D26 module).

The other thing is that, when used in near-stock specs, the E2's reflector (and thus, head assy) does a poor job maintaining good focus with any drop-in tower LED module (but fine if one still sticks to incan modules). LF told me why, and I'm finally feeling the heat when passing side streets that are pitch-dark at night; the beam profile is simply unusable. So with my EDC E2e I may eventually need to upgrade the head assy with another quality LF head assy product.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E series reflectors are variable. Some are very throwy, more so than some P60's. I have a couple E series D19 heads that throw better than KT turboheads. I tend to keep the throwy ones around. Those are generally in my EDC rotation. I even have one an a Vital Gear FB3... with a Lumens Factory EO-E2R and two P17500's.. Been using that setup for a really long time.

michaex

Enlightened
Yea, but.. good luck finding one, even when they were produced.
I agree, I haven't seen them often. I got one not long ago, but that was pure luck. I doubt it was selling well back in the day, judging by the number of them popping up used. Unless all owners love them too much to part with them ;)

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
The other thing is that, when used in near-stock specs, the E2's reflector (and thus, head assy) does a poor job maintaining good focus with any drop-in tower LED module (but fine if one still sticks to incan modules). LF told me why, and I'm finally feeling the heat when passing side streets that are pitch-dark at night; the beam profile is simply unusable. So with my EDC E2e I may eventually need to upgrade the head assy with another quality LF head assy product.

Could you explain why they don't maintain good focus with a tower module? Maybe show a beam shot of what you are talking about if it's not too much trouble? You have me curious now.

Flashlightmaster2021

Newly Enlightened
Anyone here edc a surefire? Which model and why?

I have a Titan plus I carry a lot and like, a fury intellibeam I use in the woods when walking the dog. And now a defender ultra that I thought I would carry daily but I am struggling with only having 5L or 1000L and nothing in between. I see they do a EDC light but I think that is even worse at 5L and 1200L.
sorry I don`t . but I think your missing out if you don`t edc the thru nite T1 with the infinite ramping function. Check out also the tru nite t2 21700 EDC flood beast and the thru nite catapult mini long range pocket thrower. Your missing out if you don`t have those 3 lights. Thrulight for life!!!!

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
used to have a surefire sidekick on my keychain but removed after a year, almost never used it, too many things on my keychain already. But it is a very nice flashlight.

Lumen83

Enlightened
@Lumen83 SF solved 6P's clip problem introducing D2 - basically a 6P with a clip :)
Oddly enough, even though I give the E2e a bonus point over the 6P for having a clip, I would never want a clip on a 6P. That would ruin it. I'm crazy, I know. None of this makes sense. I'm claiming that there are negative things about the 6P but those are the things I love about it. If you were to ask me what is necessary for an EDC light, I probably would say a good clip. And i would also probably in the next breath say the clip-less 6P is the best EDC light.