Anyone else SICK & TIRED of hearing about "AI"??

Monocrom

Flashaholic
+

NVIDIA market cap (valuation as a company) is now near 3 trillion dollars.

$3,000,000,000,000
AI chips , AI chips , AI chips , AI chips , our world will be running on AI chips

chips = processors
Gasoline powered cars already do! Not just the electric ones. Heck, it was due to Covid why we had that massive chip shortage. Used car prices went through the stratosphere! New car prices immediately followed, and this year the bottom dropped out of the truck/SUV market. Dealers still charging Covid prices. Refusing to lower them to a proper percentage. And consumers being fed up! Refusing to buy.

Here's an idea, how about building robots with chips in them.... that are capable of building more chips! Problem solved for next time when some idiot in a Chinese lab accidentally releases one of their military Bio-weapons onto the public. We'll never know his name, but guaranteed Chinese authorities found him, unfortunately likely tortured him. Definitely put a very tiny projectile through his cranium at a very high rate of speed.

Reactions: F89

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
AI will prove to be the most demonic technology ever invented.
Yes, and you know what's worse than an A.I. politician? How about an A.I. priest. I wish I was kidding. They made an A.I. priest that told people it was okay to baptize babies in Gatorade.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast

AI political candidates?! Stop the "bus" I want to get off! :(

Now I'm reimagining the Terminator movie with Arnold Schwarzenegger getting voted into office as President and then ripping his face off to show he really is a T-800 Terminator and starts shooting everyone with a machine gun. Please no A.I. politicians. Let's stop Skynet now. We already have small drones that can drop bombs and an A.I. F-16. We have powerful lasers that can shoot things from a distance and self-driving cars. Let's not put all this technology together.

pnwoutdoors

Enlightened
Anyone else SICK & TIRED of hearing about "AI"??

Of the incessant reporting of it? Sure.

But as computers get more "knowledgable" as the technologies improve, it's anybody's guess as to how far it'll go. Aiding people in answering questions, exploring boundary knowledge in medicine and whatnot, coming up with new materials formulae (such as a 'better' steel recipe, for example), welding process, forging process, quality of concrete pours, quality of carbon lay-up ... all good things. In the case of, say, military applications, warfare is a brutal teacher and if someone doesn't leverage a given tech then someone else will. In the case of photos/recordings, it's already difficult to distinguish between "live and Memorex."

The risks are becoming quite tangible, though many don't realize the involvement or impact of such AI computer tech yet. I suspect it'll become ubiquitous in many applications. And we'll be justifiably pleased with the benefits. At the risk of I'm-not-sure-what-yet.

Dr. Jones

Newly Enlightened
Here are a series of papers written by an AI engineer/programmer that shed considerable light on where we are now, and where we will be in 10 years, regarding AI.

Authoritative and sobering: