Anyone ever had a colonoscopy?

turbodog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh yeah, watch out for the drugs.

After my procedure, I was totally out of my mind. I got in the truck, drove off, and went and spent about $5000 on a whim later that day.

Go straight home, unplug the phone, and watch movies till the next day.

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
AFAustin said:
Michael,
As StevieRay said, I've likewise heard there's an alternate "prep" solution, requiring a much smaller quantity, but that you have to specifically ask for it for some reason.

If you're talking about the stuff in the little green soda bottle, then it's magnesium citrate. Fleets Phospho-Soda is another that you mix with water or ginger ale.
happy23.gif

These basically do the same thing--evaccuate the GI system. The problem with these, in my opinion is that they have the potential for severely dehydrating many people.
faint.gif

One gallon go that Go-lightly stuff produces approx one gallon of "flush". Those other two have to flush the system as well but where does it all come from?
smoker5.gif

No matter which you wind up taking it's all going to come out in the end. hehehe

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
All of the above is true! I haven't had a scope, but did have a lower GI, which required the bowel prep, and filling my colon with air like a dang balloon! No meds for me, due to the minimally invasive procedure.

With a scope, the meds will really help. They will likely perform "conscious sedation", where you are quite sedated, but able to repond to commands.
We typically use Versed (sedative/antianxiety/amnesiac) and fentanyl (very fast-acting narcotic pain med).

You will likely not remember any of the procedure, and the meds wear off rapidly, so you will probably not have lingering sleepiness.

Though a colonoscopy isn't fun, and there are risks, the alternative is positively hideous.

Bob

was_jlh

Enlightened
Don't want to steal the thread, but has anyone had a "cysto"? That's what the doc called it, I guess it's really cystoscopy or something. They go into the bladder through the "front door". Got to have one of those soon, not looking forward to it.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Worst part is the prep - seriously!! Modified diet starting 72 hrs before, then the nigh before, they either give you a pill, or almost a gallon of liquid to drink (golytely sp?) - you are supposed to drink the entire gallon in 2 hrs if I remember right - 30min > hr later, you WILL go to the bathroom, and you WILL keep going and going and going, till there is NOTHING left in you

You get to the test, they drug you up, and you feel almost nothing - only thing I felt is when they actually took a sample of one of my hemeroids - felt the snip - other than that - not bad

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
was_jlh said:
Don't want to steal the thread, but has anyone had a "cysto"? That's what the doc called it, I guess it's really cystoscopy or something. They go into the bladder through the "front door". Got to have one of those soon, not looking forward to it.

I had WORSE - I had a blocked kidney stone, and they had to go in the front door to break up the stone. That was NO fun - better than a full blown kidney stone attack, EXCEPT the first time you have to pee post the procedure (they will NOT let you leave the hospital till you do.) Oh boy, that merited a quiet scream, and I practically fell on the floor - felt like I was peeing broken glass

SJACKAL

Enlightened
I had one done in 2004. It wasn't really painful, but uncomfortable and interesting to see my own a$$ tunnel. I was pooing out all the gas later but the nurses assured me that everyone there is "licensed to fart"

SJACKAL

Enlightened
was_jlh said:

I had that done in 2004 too. 2004 was not a good year for me in regards to health.

As long as your urologist is using the flexible type of scope, it should be fine. Find out more before agree to the operation. I read that in the past they use a stiff, thick one and that's scary. I was only put on LA, it wasn't really painful, but its uncomfortable, nevertheless. There will be burning sensation when you **** for the rest of the day.

Nonethelessly it scares the hell out of most guys, but, having been through it, I would say it's ok. Just make sure the urologist or the actual doctor doing the ops is skilled and experienced and not a "new guy on his first time".

Last edited:

SJACKAL

Enlightened
KC2IXE said:
I had WORSE - I had a blocked kidney stone, and they had to go in the front door to break up the stone. That was NO fun - better than a full blown kidney stone attack, EXCEPT the first time you have to pee post the procedure (they will NOT let you leave the hospital till you do.) Oh boy, that merited a quiet scream, and I practically fell on the floor - felt like I was peeing broken glass

Even if you are not peeing out stones, there is still a burning sensation. :(

All these talks about scopes brings back memories of 2004 when I was in and out of hospital frequently.

I remember promising to myself that I would take care of my health after those ordeals and never get myself into these sh!t again and I nearly forgot. Got to watch my weight too, getting bad recently...

Cheer up and get well people!

For those who are well and good, stay fit and stay safe!

Happy new year!

joecandlepower

Newly Enlightened
Be thanksful its not a sigmoidoscopy. No drugs involved with that one. They found a couple polyps when mine was done and had them biopsied. No follow up colonoscopy.

But colon cancer is preventable from what I've learned as its a slow process.

Its a good thing you are getting the colonoscopy as you must have better insurance than mine.

Last year around Veterans day we buried my cousin who died from colon cancer. He was very active and exercised alot, but rarely went to the doctor. When they found it in him, it was too late. but he actually had alot of syptomsalready. It had spread to many of his organs and lungs and all they really could do for him was make the rest of his life comfortable as possible. They gave him three months and he actually lived about 5 months more.
He was a great guy and I miss him every day.

So take care of yourself and I hope the results show its nothing bad or at least they get any polyps early so they don't turn into something worse.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I'm told that whenever they do a procedure where they need to go in through the ureathra with a tube, there's a risk of damaging the tiny check valves that prevent seepage between bathroom visits. If you ever have to have this kind of procedure, ask the doctor about using the smallest tube possible and whether there's any risk of compromising those little flaps of skin.

was_jlh

Enlightened
Thanks for the heads up, guys, no pun intended :eek:oo:

Last edited:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
turbodog said:
Oh yeah, watch out for the drugs.

After my procedure, I was totally out of my mind. I got in the truck, drove off, and went and spent about $5000 on a whim later that day.

Go straight home, unplug the phone, and watch movies till the next day.
YOU DROVE?????

iNDiGLo make sure someone else is driving you home.