Anyone fit a car mount/charger?

Blikbok

Enlightened
I'm getting a crazy idea in my head to mount a charging cradle in my car for a premium flashlight. I've got a GM, which means the lighter plug is hot even when the iginition's off.

I searched the forums, but didn't get results: anyone here put a charger in your car?

WillnTex

Newly Enlightened
Actually most police cars have flashlight chargers mounted in them by the officers. It's actually a nice idea.

DonL

Enlightened
Blikbok, sorry it took a while to find this thread.

I know of actually several people that have mounted chargers in their car, two using switched-on power and one using a "smart" charger hooked to a constant power source.

The switched power would probably be the safest to make sure there isn't a constant drain on the battery, especially if a "smart" charger isn't being used. I'm not sure if all those accessory jacks they're putting in cars these days are switched or not.

One fella combined his smart charger with a constant power source. Since he usually runs down flashlight batteries on his job (a home inspector), he never really has a chance to kill the truck battery, since he's starting, stopping, etc. and the truck is running alot. (Not that you could kill a battery on this truck. It's got heavy duty everything, two batteries, and an alternator the size of a wheel on my VW. The monster is one set of tracks away from being classified a tank.)
smile.gif

A real simple way would be to mount the charger somewhere, and when you need it, simply plug it into the lighter or power recepticle. If you only have that one power source, though, and you need it for something else, well, then that's a problem.