Anyone had this happen? Dome come off an LS!

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was trying to get the emitter off a heatsink, didn't actually think it was that well stuck on - just a thermal pad. However, I suddenly found myself wondering where the dome had just gone *piiiing* to, while still looking at the slug and die firmly attatched to the heatsink...D'OH! Shame, darn thing worked too. Oh well, at least it was just a Q1K.

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
Welcome to the dead Luxeon club! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Think I'm gonna have to order some more now. Only had three to experiment with! Blue one suffered death by reverse bais (though one of the "bars" still lights normally!), white one's had a dome pop off (though the die still lights up!), the red/orange one however is still shining away on top of my wardrobe mounted to a CPU heatsink - probably under half an inch of dust by now though.

TheFire

Enlightened
Yep... it's also possible to pull on the plastic part and leave the little metal part completely by itself. Then the phosphor is gone and you can light up the blue LED underneath with a couple of really small pins and a good magnifying glass...

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know if anyone tried this, but I find that a LS without the dome can be focused into a tighter beam than one with the dome. Results came from 1 low dome white Q2 in a mag reflector and a low dome-less white with phosphor removed in a the same mag reflector.

cosco

Newly Enlightened
I did it with my first luxeon about half a year ago. It was Qxx. I was trying to get it from the original aluminium heatsink. Did not know anything about "bending" the heatsink with pliers. Now I know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif