Anyone have a bored out Elzetta Charlie?

LED1982

Newly Enlightened
I bought an Elzetta Bravo many years ago, it was so long ago that I'm not 100% positive but I'm fairly sure that I had someone bore it out because I couldn't get my 18650 rechargeables to fit (unless I'm thinking of another flashlight, I don't have the Bravo anymore). I also think but I'm not 100% positive that I got Oveready to do it for me.

So very recently I bought an Elzetta Charlie and it can only be used with primary CR123, no rechargeables. I'm assuming that this is a thickness issue (are primaries thinner?), and another assumption is that since Elzetta is about bulletproof flashlights that maybe they simply prefer to maximize body thickness, therefore they only wanna accommodate the thinner primaries?

Anyway, can anyone confirm that the Charlie only taking primaries is only a thickness issue, and that if you get it bored out a little bit it will then run fine with rechargeable CR123s or with two rechargeable 18500s (as opposed to some voltage or current incompatibility thing)? Also, can anyone confirm that my memory is correct that Oveready will bore out an Elzetta for you? Thanks.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
It should run just fine on rechargeables. The reason they don't come from the factory is because them lights are designed as you say to be bulletproof and work in tactical situation.elzetta doesn't recommend Rechargeables for life and death situations.

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
RCR123 (16650) rechargeables will fit in Charlie. I am not sure what the voltage range is. I would check with Elzetta to see if that is OK. Malkoff makes a great 3 cell light that will take 18500s. Very tough lights also.

LED1982

Newly Enlightened
Ok thanks for the info!! I guess they gave me a lazy answer when I emailed them lol

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
I don't have any 17500s to try. I do have an old Charlie. I would buy a new one in an instant if it took 18500s. My Charlie doesn't get much use because I normally use rechargeable batteries in most situations in other lights. I never bought a Bones because it doesn't have a low mode. I will use my Bravo sometimes with a 16650. Too bad they don't make an option for 1800s. They could still ship it with a sleeve so the CR123a won't rattle if it is being used in a critical situation.

Latest posts