Anyone have an Ipod Mini?

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got one, and really like it, but a few things about it seem rather limited.
I have some files that have long names, and when going through the song list in the selection menu, only the front part of the name gets displayed. I was expecting the title would scroll across, but it doesn't- is there any setting to do that? It does scroll if it's actually playing, but that's cumbersome.
Also, I didn't see any option to delete songs on the unit; looks like it can only be done in the iTunes app.
I'm more used to my Archos Jukebox and all its options, so I might be expecting too much of the Mini-
I think I looked through all the options, but figured I'd see if maybe someone that's played with it longer knows a secret handshake to set it up to do these things.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have never seen one or for that matter the regular ipod. To tell you the truth, I have rarely seen an mp3 player the past few years as a community college or university student. THat changed Wednesday. I saw a guy at work with a mac shuffle. Man that was about the size of a stick of gum, just as light and the case felt just as squeezable. I asked about the batteries, he said it charges through the data port when attached to your computer.

Ive bounced the idea around to buy an mp3 player, but either they are expensive, not enough memory, a bit big, etc. I came close to buying one from my hardware store at the university I attend. It was a gig stick of memory that had a mp3 player you plugged it into to make it an mp3 player. I believe it was like 150 bucks before tax. Hundred for the usb memory stick and 50 for the player.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
As you're just scrolling through the list the individual entries don't scroll. Since iTunes uses the tags in the song to get the title and such it doesn't really plan on displaying the whole folder name with all the info you've placed there. If your files don't have tags in them because you ripped long time ago, or downloaded ones with wrong tags you can fix that either manually in iTunes or with one of those apps that reads the song file and actually looks up what they are. I used one of those recently on my Mac to fill in some older stuff and it probably got about 80% of it right, I was very impressed!

And also, you can't delete songs from the device itself. All management of the files is through iTunes. There isn't even really a folder hirearchy on the thing, at least not in the same way as your library is organized on your computer. iTunes is the front end to them and you can't think of them as just an external hard drive that happens to play MP3 files that you copy to it. This is different than other players, but not difficult once you get your mind wrapped around it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have had an older full sized iPod that I loved, and recently gave it up to my wife when the CD player in her car died, then got myself a shuffle which I am really happy with. With the exception that it doesn't always sync my audio book location probably with iTunes it's a great little device. And so small I can actually forget it's in my pocket. Battery lasts me a week before I need to recharge it. Apple has never sold anything that cheap that was that useful /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info-
It's definitely more practical working with the iTunes rather than the iPod, so it's not really any problem; I just thought it might be nice to be able to delete the odd duplicate or bad song right from the unit as I was playing it. Just for expedience, I just dumped in a big block of songs from my PC music folder to fill it up, without doing any prescreening.
Filling up the 4G was a zippy process through the firewire; very nice!

All in all, works pretty nicely-
Just thought there were a few things that would have been nice if implemented, like an adjustable level backlight. That thing comes on bright enough to use as a flashlight, it seems, with only on-off control.
Also, iTunes has a duplicate songs display feature, but I couldn't find any easy way to clear them off except by stepping through them all one by one.

When playing a list of songs, I was kinda expecting there would be some screen that would display the current playlist queue, but there doesn't seem to be (for instance, if you selected shuffle, on all songs. I suppose they just wanted to keep things simple to avoid confusion. It's only that I was continually amazed at the capabilities of the Rockboxed Archos Jukebox, which may have spoiled me before I started exploring the mini. Are the full scale iPods different in the features and options, compared to the mini?

Saaby

Flashaholic
Actually it does show the song queue, just not when you go in through the "Now Playing" link off the main menu, and I don't think when you are shuffling all your songs, but if you navigate into a playlist, then if you punch Menu you see the playlist, with a speaker icon next to the currently playing song. If you navigate in to an album or all songs by an artist, than the list of songs (1 level before you start playing) basically acts as a playlist.

None of the Black & White iPods scroll the titles in the list view. I have a 40 gig iPod Photo and it does scroll the names, so I suspect in the future as they update the whole line to color LCDs, they'll all scroll the titles in the list view.

As far as deleting duplicates, iTunes and the iPod have a star ranking system. iTunes has the ability to create rule-based playlists. One thing that some owners do is to create a "1 star" smart playlist in iTunes, and then rank songs they want to delete on the iPod with 1 star (Click the select button while the song is playing until the row of 5 dots comes up, then slide the scroll wheel to rank). Then you juts delete all the songs in the "1 star" playlist out of your library.

I just remember what to delete and do it later, since it's usually not that often that I want to toss something.

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like a good idea with the rating for deleting; I'll have to try that after recharging it. Run time seems a bit shorter than I expected, but I was on the first charge, so maybe it'll improve with a few cycles. Left the charger home, so I can't try it at the moment.

Guess you just need to keep track of what your selection was when you start playing, such as an artist or album category. Once it starts playing and I navigate away from it to look around, there didn't seem to be any way to call it up automatically from the Now Playing display.

Saaby

Flashaholic
One of the great things about the iPod is it will remember where you are in the folder hierarchy. Click back in through Music, and then so long as you remember what you picked (Playlist, Album, Artist, etc.) then it will take you through for the rest. IE if you went in through genre, than when you pick genre it will show the genre you picked, the artist, the album, etc. Just a little different operating style that perhaps you're used to.

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I did notice that; nice how it remembers the prior tree as you drill down. I'll have to remember to carry the cord and charger around with me, so I can run through all the options and get more familiar with this new setup.
Just did some poking around on the first gen Mini I have and found that the battery life tends to be much shorter than the 8 hr rating. Some kind of external power source would be handy, but that would defeat the small/neat/elegant idea of the mini.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i like ipods but prefare sony.i think sony just sounds better.but the olds ones only played atrac but the new ones are the smae size as ipod mini but have 20 gigs and 30 hour battery life.for now im keeping my minidisc player it has 1 gig replacable disk that sell for 7 bucks and replace batterys that are like 20 cents a peace .but i do admit the ipod is copoler and has better software

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ipod sounds okay to me, so I don't mind if the sound is less quality in some way. I think my main concern is the 3 or so hour battery life; that'd be a bit of a drag.
If I had to choose between one, I'd stick with my Archos, because it just has so much gee-whiz factor to it, but that's a real brick in comparision of size and weight.
And, I have much less to grouse about considering the Mini was a free promo from Citibank- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i left my minidisc player on last night and tonight its still playing and the nbatrtery meter still shows full.this is with some cheap aa,s i got at circuit city they was like 9 bucks for 48 batterys.i wonder how long ill get with a sanyo 2500? btw this is at full volume

GeoffChan

Enlightened
I only have a 3rd gen ipod and an ipod shuffle.

I've had the 3rd gen replaced under warranty and the battery performance is still bad. I use the shuffle when my 3rd gen goes flat.

Geoff

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I won one in a contest and been playing with it. I find the software crashed on installation and three more times after use. The software seems rather criptic while the ipod thing is rather easy to use, that is unless your fingers are dry and the spin wheel cant sense your fingers. Amazing although it sat all night after recharging, today it has been charging for 2 hours. Does it use power to store info? Yesterday it was empty and it read charged after a few minutes plugged in.

Anyway, its neat, not sure I would pay 200 bucks for it. Sems a bit high. I tried importing songs I ripped with real juke box and it just dumped them into a generic folder all songs, not by artist, etc, etc, etc.

Also finding the itunes website difficult to find anything. It starts off as a web page, then it switches into a text base layout by author, and gerne and catagory. I thought I liked audio books, but I know titles not authors. I may try browsing the site on my win 98 computer where the software doesnt work or just visit audiable(SP?) than the itunes site.

The backlight is rather bright. I use that on a 2 second delay so I can see the screen, but not drain the batteries too fast. So far the battery meter has read full, but it seems to like to be recharaged.

I just wonder if this thing should be charged or topped off regularly or if each plug in counts again the number of charges and mean unless I run it dead or top it off it I will still need to replace the battery the same nunber of plug ins. Just recall an article I read a while back and the warning in the book about the limited cycles of the battery.

Samuel

Enlightened
Does the Shuffle or Mini lose charge while sitting and OFF? I've got a 4G 20mb IPod and it continually discharges the battery, even when not in use - some sort of memory function...

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems the biggest confusion among windows folks using an iPod is that they don't use filenames for organizing the music. the filename is only used if the mp3 file has no tags in it at all. In order to use iTunes and the iPod you HAVE to use a ripping program that can add the MP3 tags properly. You organize your songs in iTunes and not as a bunch of file/folders on the disk and copy to the iPod like other mp3 players.

This is not generally a problem, just a different way of handling things. After having owned both iPods and other MP3 players over the years, I have come to the conclusion that for me using the tags is a much more sensible way to organize my stuff. But if you have a huge library of songs without any, iTunes can't organize them properly until you manually create playlists and whatnot, but things like browsing by album/author will be broken.

yes, all iPods, including the shuffles as far as i can tell, use battery when off. You can turn the mini or the full sized iPod all the way off, I can't remember how now by holding the menu button down or something, but normally they sit their using up a little battery. Apple suggests that you connect them to a charger something like every 2 weeks if you're not using it to keep the battery from running down.

As far as battery life, my wife has my older iPod 3rd generation. It's never had it's battery changed and she still only charges it once a week and she listens for at least 2 hours in the car every day, and on mondays and thursdays it's closer to 4 hours. But then she's listening to regular encoded AAC or MP3 files, and not CD quality unencoded AIFF or something that would require much more use of the disk drive. I don't know why some people have so much battery trouble, but I'm not one of them. I also don't know why some people think the sound quality is less that others. There are only a couple of different DSP chips that these things all use and they all produce equally good sound. Perhaps you just need headphones that actually fit in your ears the way the ones that came with my iPod definitely do not. If I jam them in there though they do sound fantastic, it just starts to hurt after a while /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i use the same head phones on all my mp3 players the sony sounds betterperhaps its my ears.i do however wish it has a stronger amp. but i alos wish the apple had a stronger amp.i am wondering if ya are corect about the dsp on thease players cause ive heard the zen. the karma the sony and the apple. they all sound diferent to me with same phones.i also try to adjust eq but they all sound difernt to me.perhaps difernt amps.unless the amp is in the digital sound procesr thats beyond my tech knoledge but to my ears there diferent.

scudinc

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
raggie33 said:
but i alos wish the apple had a stronger amp.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're going to cause permanent hearing damage if you play an iPod at anything over 75% volume. Get better headphones (from a real company, not Sony) if you value your hearing.

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe someone knows what's going on with this:
I loaded some albums in using iTunes from my mp3 library, and when I go down into the album song list and hit play, the display starts skipping through all the songs without playing, e.g. 1 of 9, 2 of 9, 3 of 9, etc. until it goes through to the end, at which it returns back up to the top level Music menu. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh2.gif

If I hit pause right after I hit play, however, then hit play again, the songs start playing normally through the album.

This only happens with some of the albums, not all, so there's something going on with the specific songs, but what? Not a big deal, since I can work around it, but it just seems strange.

Latest posts