Anyone have the Coast HP1 Focusing LED Flashlight ? also 14500 question

Astroscanner

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered the Coast HP1 Focusing LED Flashlight from Amazon for $9.99 (had a gift card I earned so it was effectively free).

It has 4.9 stars out out 5 with 690 reviews so I figured it was an ok choice for a low cost focusing flashlight but still wanted to know if anyone had ever bought one.

It takes either regular AA, NIMH AA, or 14500 LI-ION but says it has a much better output with the LI-ION.

I don't think I ever bought a 14500 before and would prefer to buy one locally if Walmart has them so as to save on shipping as the shipping can cost as much as the battery.

Do you need a special charger to recharge a 14500 or can you use regular rechargers used for regular rechargeables like NIMH batteries ?

Thanks in advance for any help !

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
A NiMH charger will not be able to charge a 14500. You will need a dedicated Li-Ion charger (or charger capable of charging both Li-Ion AND NiMH) in order to charge any kind of Li-Ion batteries. Just be sure to get an appropriate charger for the Li-Ion chemistry you are using (4.2V for LiCo/LiMn or 3.6V for LiFePO4, or a switchable charger that can charge either type).

Last edited:

Astroscanner

Newly Enlightened
A NiMH charger will not be able to charge a 14500. You will need a dedicated Li-Ion charger (or charger capable of charging both Li-Ion AND NiMH) in order to charge any kind of Li-Ion batteries. Just be sure to get an appropriate charger for the Li-Ion chemistry you are using (4.2V for LiCo/LiMn or 3.6V for LiFePO4, or a switchable charger that can charge either type).

Thanks for the reply, the product web page recommended using a Tenergy 14500 3.7v 800mah battery for maximum output of 220 lumens, said a AA alkaline battery would give 92 lumens and a AA NiMH 1.2v 2400mah would give 68 lumens. While it is nice to know you have the option of using alkaline or NiMH batteries also, I would like to be able to get the maximum lumens using a 14500 Li-ion.

Does the recommended 14500 3.7v come in either type of chemistry, if so, which is preferable ?

I guess it does not have to be the Tenergy brand, right ?

I'm on a tight budget right now, but still want to avoid junk. just want to get the best deal out of what is worth getting.

What are the more reliable brands of 14500 batteries and what brands should I avoid ?

How important is it that the mah be the 800mah they recommended, would it make a big difference if it was somewhat less or more ?

How important is it that it is the recommended 3.7v instead of a 3.6v ?

I don't understand why they would make 14500 batteries with two versions being just a .1 volt difference.

Sorry for all the questions, it would be nice if they could simply make an NiMH as powerful as a 14500 :-}

Last edited:

Astroscanner

Newly Enlightened
I was hoping to find some 14500 4.7v batteries in the local Walmart or CVS store but neither store carried them.

Is the 14500 4.7v battery such an unusual battery that you can usually only find them them online ?

I was hoping to avoid paying almost as much for shipping as for the battery itself.

ven

Flashaholic
You will struggle shop wise,they are 3.6v 14500 but charged to 4.2v . Try vape shops,these have li ion cells usually in stock,various sizes ..........

Look at some KeepPower or Efest and make sure button top(like an alki cell) and not flat top.

KP/loop/Efest v2 button tops

ven

Flashaholic
To add,tyhe 3.6 or 3.7 is the nominal voltage,at around 3.6v its 40% ish charged(depending on mah). When you get a new cell it requires charging up to 4.2v with a li ion charger.
Some excellent value chargers from Xtar

There is the Xtar MC1 for single cell or the SP1 of which i have and recommend.
3 settings 3.2v for Lifepo4 /3.6v for the cell you want 4.2v li ions./3.8v for 4.35v li ions.

Then have the 3 settings for charge rates 0.5a/1a/2a of which 0.5a you would use out of them for a 14500 cell.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, 3.6 Volts is just about dead, 40% occurs around 3.8 Volts.

Note that you should not play with Li-Ion cells without a volt meter. You don't want to be guessing about state of charge, and relying on a red or green light on a cheap charger to tell you where that cell is at. The nice thing about them is that, unlike NiMH's, the voltage at rest IS a good indicator of the state of charge.

Last edited:

Astroscanner

Newly Enlightened
To add,tyhe 3.6 or 3.7 is the nominal voltage,at around 3.6v its 40% ish charged(depending on mah). When you get a new cell it requires charging up to 4.2v with a li ion charger.
Some excellent value chargers from Xtar

There is the Xtar MC1 for single cell or the SP1 of which i have and recommend.
3 settings 3.2v for Lifepo4 /3.6v for the cell you want 4.2v li ions./3.8v for 4.35v li ions.

Then have the 3 settings for charge rates 0.5a/1a/2a of which 0.5a you would use out of them for a 14500 cell.

Thanks for the replies and info !

Thanks especially about making sure the 14500 is a button top.

I just got a $10 coupon good on eBay, maybe I'll see what I can find on there that is low cost but still worth getting, especially since some of the sellers offer free shipping.

Astroscanner

Newly Enlightened
Hey, I found a great deal on eBay - two protected 14500 3.7v batteries AND a charger - a combo deal for only $10.25 and free shipping from a U.S. location. I had a $10 ebay coupon I had earned so it effectively only cost me 25 cents !

Package Includes:
1 x 4.2V DC 600mAh Battery Charger for 2pcs 14500 Rechargerable Batteries
2 x TangsFire 14500 1200mAH 3.7V Rechargeable Lithium Battery

okeenu

Newly Enlightened
On Ebay ...Never buy any Battery that says ****Fire, not trustfire not anything fire...

Look for a seller who states it is a Quality JAPANESE cell..ie.. Sanyo, Panasonic ......

You Wont find a 14500 locally,they are not ready for prime time yet..(too dangerous for an uneducated public)

You may find 18650's packaged with a flashlight and even cr123's at places like wallyworld ,

I started off buying ultrafire 14500,s and to be honest never had a problem ,even though I abused them badly before learning better...Cheap batteries are usable in SINGLE CELL uses.. but are never the stated capacity,not even close..And are documented to be dangerous.

The only thing that makes a *****fire battery more dangerous is a *****fire charger ..

I love bargains and I love Budget Flashlights..but if you are not ready to commit to a Good Battery and a Decent charger. stay with NiMh

Astroscanner

Newly Enlightened
On Ebay ...Never buy any Battery that says ****Fire, not trustfire not anything fire...

Look for a seller who states it is a Quality JAPANESE cell..ie.. Sanyo, Panasonic ......

You Wont find a 14500 locally,they are not ready for prime time yet..(too dangerous for an uneducated public)

You may find 18650's packaged with a flashlight and even cr123's at places like wallyworld ,

I started off buying ultrafire 14500,s and to be honest never had a problem ,even though I abused them badly before learning better...Cheap batteries are usable in SINGLE CELL uses.. but are never the stated capacity,not even close..And are documented to be dangerous.

The only thing that makes a *****fire battery more dangerous is a *****fire charger ..

I love bargains and I love Budget Flashlights..but if you are not ready to commit to a Good Battery and a Decent charger. stay with NiMh

Thanks for the info, it is appreciated. (I already had ordered it before your reply)

I'm going to use it for single cell use in the Coast HP1.

Even though I had already ordered it earlier today thru ebay, the same battery/charger combo had good reviews on Amazon, 4 stars out of 5.

It does say they are "protected" batteries, so I guess that should count for something.

A reviewer said the charger light goes from red to green when battery is charged,

As a first time user of 14500 batteries and charger, what are the main things I need to be extra careful about when using or charging 14500 batteries ?

okeenu

Newly Enlightened
Well, as I said I made the same "mistake" but survived :whistle:it..

Do get a digital multimeter..ck the batteries on arrival if they read somewhere between 3.0 and 4.2 they are probably usable.

below 3.0v or so I would not try to charge it.. (most arrive at about 3.5-4.0 for me)

CHARGE OUTSIDE in a fireproof location...If they do "FAIL" they will vent nasty stuff that harms your lungs and kills pets.

The first times you charge, time how long it takes to reach 4.2v and if the green light functions as it should..I had a charger that Never cut off...even though it changed to green.. If the battery gets uncomfortably warm take it out and ck the voltage..

look into a charger that is more reliable ,even if you use the batteries.

Have fun,I use the 14500 in my Sk68 sipiks and they really wake the light up

Astroscanner

Newly Enlightened
Well, as I said I made the same "mistake" but survived :whistle:it..

Do get a digital multimeter..ck the batteries on arrival if they read somewhere between 3.0 and 4.2 they are probably usable.

below 3.0v or so I would not try to charge it.. (most arrive at about 3.5-4.0 for me)

CHARGE OUTSIDE in a fireproof location...If they do "FAIL" they will vent nasty stuff that harms your lungs and kills pets.

The first times you charge, time how long it takes to reach 4.2v and if the green light functions as it should..I had a charger that Never cut off...even though it changed to green.. If the battery gets uncomfortably warm take it out and ck the voltage..

look into a charger that is more reliable ,even if you use the batteries.

Have fun,I use the 14500 in my Sk68 sipiks and they really wake the light up

Thanks, I do have an outside plug I could use, usually about how long does it take to charge a 14500 ?

Using a 14500 battery the Coast HP1 is stated to deliver almost 2 1/2 times the lumens over using an alkaline battery and over 3 times the lumens over using an NiMH battery.

It will be interesting to see the difference for myself after I get the 14500 batteries.

horizonearth

Newly Enlightened
Hello. I do not have that particular flashlight. I have however, purchased several UltraFire 'value?' focusing flashlights on eBay. They have slight variations ie some will accept AA alkaline, NmH or the 14500's.

Obviously the 14500's provide 3.7 volts which is more than twice the voltage of a 1.5 volt AA battery. When I got started experimenting with flashlights I wanted to get the absolute most out of the light. I wanted to be able to blind a robber at 300 yards!

I know that no matter what I tell you, you will use the 3.7 volt batteries because they give you a BIG improvement on the amount of light your torch will cast. However, there are issues with these batteries. Once the beam starts to dim you need to take the batteries out and charge them. When I started out I thought that 'protected' batteries would only discharge to a level where they could still recharge. WRONG! If you let them go too low, they WILL NOT CHARGE! I found this out the hard way with my first 18650 light!

Get protected cells, as they supposedly will not short out. You will notice little vents in all of these li-ion batteries. This is so if they do short, they will vent and not explode.

GET A GOOD CHARGER! I bought a Nitecore I4. This is an intelligent charger that will charge NiMH, L-ion, pretty much any rechargeable batteries you may find. You can ask anyone, these are well worth the money. I paid around $17 US shipped to my front door from an eBay seller. The I4 or D4 chargers are both well worth the money. They also have 2-battery versions.

If you have a flashlight that uses more than one battery, I would suggest keeping the pairs together. I used a sharpy to mark them as pairs. use them as pairs, charge them as pairs.

After playing with lights for a while I prefer to use AA batteries. I do keep some li-ion batteries, but when it comes down to it you can find AA's ANYWHERE. I bought 100 Duracell AA batteries on eBay for $27.00 shipped. Sure they put out fewer lumens, but 'one on one' they last longer than the rechargeables and they are everywhere.

Sorry to bend your ear like this, but I figured I'd share my experience with you.

Good luck bro, have fun.

Mike

Astroscanner

Newly Enlightened
Hello. I do not have that particular flashlight. I have however, purchased several UltraFire 'value?' focusing flashlights on eBay. They have slight variations ie some will accept AA alkaline, NmH or the 14500's.

Obviously the 14500's provide 3.7 volts which is more than twice the voltage of a 1.5 volt AA battery. When I got started experimenting with flashlights I wanted to get the absolute most out of the light. I wanted to be able to blind a robber at 300 yards!

I know that no matter what I tell you, you will use the 3.7 volt batteries because they give you a BIG improvement on the amount of light your torch will cast. However, there are issues with these batteries. Once the beam starts to dim you need to take the batteries out and charge them. When I started out I thought that 'protected' batteries would only discharge to a level where they could still recharge. WRONG! If you let them go too low, they WILL NOT CHARGE! I found this out the hard way with my first 18650 light!

Get protected cells, as they supposedly will not short out. You will notice little vents in all of these li-ion batteries. This is so if they do short, they will vent and not explode.

GET A GOOD CHARGER! I bought a Nitecore I4. This is an intelligent charger that will charge NiMH, L-ion, pretty much any rechargeable batteries you may find. You can ask anyone, these are well worth the money. I paid around $17 US shipped to my front door from an eBay seller. The I4 or D4 chargers are both well worth the money. They also have 2-battery versions.

If you have a flashlight that uses more than one battery, I would suggest keeping the pairs together. I used a sharpy to mark them as pairs. use them as pairs, charge them as pairs.

After playing with lights for a while I prefer to use AA batteries. I do keep some li-ion batteries, but when it comes down to it you can find AA's ANYWHERE. I bought 100 Duracell AA batteries on eBay for $27.00 shipped. Sure they put out fewer lumens, but 'one on one' they last longer than the rechargeables and they are everywhere.

Sorry to bend your ear like this, but I figured I'd share my experience with you.

Good luck bro, have fun.

Mike

Thanks for sharing your experience Mike, it is appreciated.

Being new to 14500 batteries I wish I would have done more research before ordering any, and now I am somewhat leary about using them at all.

(the 14500 batteries and charger is scheduled to be delivered today)

Is the risk of explosion really that great if they are protected cells and only used for a single cell flashlight that only uses one battery at a time ?

It is such a big difference in lumens when the Amazon page that advertized the Coast HP1 said alkalines would give 92 lumens but 14500 would give 220 lumens that you would prefer getting the 220 lumens.

Is it really difficult to tell when to recharge a 14500, do you recharge after it gets slightly dimmer or really noticeably dimmer ?

Thanks !

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you know if the Coast HP1 has built-in protection? If so, where is it set? Typically, the built-in protection on a light is set more conservatively than protection on a battery. So if it has built-in protection, it may not be so bad to run the light down until the protection kicks in.

Regardless, to get a good idea when to recharge, do a runtime test with your light. Periodically check the voltage of the batteries with a voltmeter. And note the time and brightness of the light when the batteries test at around 3.3-3.4V. Knowing how long your light will run on freshly charged batteries gives you a good idea when you should charge them. Also, seeing how dim the light has gotten will give you a good idea as to when they should be recharged. Just keep in mind that Li-Ion batteries experience a steady loss of capacity as they are used. So you will want to periodically do runtime tests to see how long they will run.

As far as good 14500s to get, the best would be anything based on the Sanyo 14500UR. These cells are rated at a minimum of 800mAH, and have significantly more capacity than most anything out there. In unprotected form, they are pink. But they are available as protected cells from many sources (such as the Zebralight 14500 or the protected Orbtronic 14500, to name a couple).

Last edited:

Astroscanner

Newly Enlightened
Do you know if the Coast HP1 has built-in protection? If so, where is it set? Typically, the built-in protection on a light is set more conservatively than protection on a battery. So if it has built-in protection, it may not be so bad to run the light down until the protection kicks in.

Regardless, to get a good idea when to recharge, do a runtime test with your light. Periodically check the voltage of the batteries with a voltmeter. And note the time and brightness of the light when the batteries test at around 3.3-3.4V. Knowing how long your light will run on freshly charged batteries gives you a good idea when you should charge them. Also, seeing how dim the light has gotten will give you a good idea as to when they should be recharged. Just keep in mind that Li-Ion batteries experience a steady loss of capacity as they are used. So you will want to periodically do runtime tests to see how long they will run.

As far as good 14500s to get, the best would be anything based on the Sanyo 14500UR. These cells are rated at a minimum of 800mAH, and have significantly more capacity than most anything out there. In unprotected form, they are pink. But they are available as protected cells from many sources (such as the Zebralight 14500 or the protected Orbtronic 14500, to name a couple).

Thanks, I don't know specifically if the HP1 itself has built-in protection, but it is stated a being designed to use a 14500 as well as alkaline or NiMH.

Astroscanner

Newly Enlightened
Well, the two 14500 Tangsfire batteries with charger arrived yesterday, ( ordered on July 10th, received on July 14th - and shipping was free from hi-etech ).

I took them to work and using an extension cord I charged them in an empty metal file cabinet drawer just to be sure, I checked on them every so often and it took about 3 and 1/2 hours for the charger light to turn green and you could barely detect the slightest bit of warmth from the charging process.

So even though I still plan on using caution whenever recharging, it seems the charger and batteries are working good.

Tonight I'll try the 14500 in my Coast HP1 and see the difference in brightness over an alkaline or an NiMH.

Is it safe to simply have 14500 batteries sitting loose in the house when not actually being charged ?

Is it safe to leave a 14500 in the flashlight when not being used or is it better to take the 14500 out of the flashlight when it is not being used or does it not really make a difference if you leave it in or not ?

Astroscanner

Newly Enlightened
Well, the two 14500 Tangsfire batteries with charger arrived yesterday, ( ordered on July 10th, received on July 14th - and shipping was free from hi-etech ).

I took them to work and using an extension cord I charged them in an empty metal file cabinet drawer just to be sure, I checked on them every so often and it took about 3 and 1/2 hours for the charger light to turn green and you could barely detect the slightest bit of warmth from the charging process.

So even though I still plan on using caution whenever recharging, it seems the charger and batteries are working good.

Tonight I'll try the 14500 in my Coast HP1 and see the difference in brightness over an alkaline or an NiMH.

Is it safe to simply have 14500 batteries sitting loose in the house when not actually being charged ?

Is it safe to leave a 14500 in the flashlight when not being used or is it better to take the 14500 out of the flashlight when it is not being used or does it not really make a difference if you leave it in or not ?

I tried using a 14500 last night - definitely a noticeable difference !

lindab1284

Newly Enlightened
I am also finding some 14500 4.7v batteries in the local stores but i can't find.

Latest posts