Anyone have the Olight M31?

learner-gr

Newly Enlightened
The first time i looked for the jetbeam was the M1X and the problem was the donut hole. When appeared the M2S with SST50 i said thats the light i want. But when appeared the RRT3 i said again oooooohhhh that the light i want. But its too pricey. So i must have to look at the lower money level flashlights. So i decided for M2S. Then appeared the M31 :D and said oops another light. But again i'm very confused.

The last moment i look to M2S and M31 and especially the M2S because it is look more well made. And also the remote pressure switch is more delicate and i think for M31 there isn't any at that moment.

Also SCpooh you say that you had problem with M2S on rifle/carbine and there is lot likelihood to use on carbine and sub-machine guns.

Sorry about my english-american...

Anyone used the M31 on rifle/carbine?

Last edited:

SCpooh

Newly Enlightened
Honestly, I'm not sure. I have not had problems with the m1x during class.
Probably fired a couple thousand rounds of 5.56 during two classes. The vendor I bought the m2s from said that it was made for 18650 rechargeables. The rattling is caused by using cr123 primaries. I don't think the 18650's protection circuit will survive the repeated recoil of weapon fire. I don't have a m31 to play with. Kind of hoping one of the reviewers/owners would be able to provide insight on build quality / durability. I do have a SR90, and the build quality is top notch.

SCpooh

Newly Enlightened
Yes, you can lightly press the tailcap switch for momentary.
What I have not read yet regarding the m31 is the warning regarding using the light on high for long periods of time. How long is too long? The m2s will automatically power down after 3 min on earlier versions, but what about the m31?

dhouseng

Newly Enlightened
Is there anyone kind enough to make a runtime chart on the M31 with 2 x 18650 cells?

What is the actual runtime on turbo with 2x18650 or 2x18500?

Does the light shuts off suddenly when the batteries are depleted?

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was interested in the M2S until I found out high mode is limited to 10 min, requiring you to switch the light off than back on to maintain it on high. It does go to medium, but that defeats the purpose of having a 1000 LED lumen light if it defaults to 480 LED lumens.

Depending on how long the spring is in these lights, the 18650 protection circuits may be ok from the recoil as the spring will absorb a lot of the pressure. I've never used any of my LEDs, but my SF M2 with extension and a SF P90 or WE P90 xenon drop-in has survived 12ga shotguns and .226 rounds in an M4 (much lower pressure than 5.56 though).

SCpooh

Newly Enlightened
Nope. The revised versions were able to stay on 10min before going into med mode. Supposedly the ui was improved too. I got one of the first limited edition ones that stay on high for 3min instead of 10, messed up UI, switches modes when weapon mounted, and says "tatical" instead of tactical.:fail: I'm excited to hear/read about the m31, but there's not much out there... :whistle:

Tally-ho

Banned
next m2s vs m31:
If m2s is on the left and m31 on the right, then m31 wins without any doubt.
But for a fair comparison you might need tripod or something else to stabilize both camera and flashlight.

Last edited:

learner-gr

Newly Enlightened
Could not wait too long and bought the M2S v2 with SMO reflector (gray color). Waiting crazy to get on my hands. Now i must buy some batteries to feed it and a charger.

buzzz

Newly Enlightened
I just bought the M31 and took some "beamshots" but dont expect them to be good because its my first try.

The beam ist not very good compared to my other lights which all have OP reflector. Is this normal with smooth reflectors?

low
medium
high

photos taken with dayllight / light distance to wall ~80cm / camera 130cm
No manual camera settings possible with my cam :(

Last edited:

River Runner

Newly Enlightened
"Good" is relative to the task at hand. A smooth reflector will not produce a smooth transition from spot to spill, but it will result in increased throw. What looks good on a wall isn't always the best beam for long distance.

On the other hand, a tight beam with limited spill is usually not as handy for close work. There's a trade off...nearly every positive characteristic of a beam for one application could be considered a negative in a different application.

Nice shots, BTW. Those beam shots look great to me.

River Runner

Newly Enlightened
Heard back from Olight. They have no accessories to fit the M31. No diffusers, colored lenses or pressure switches. I emailed back asking if they planned to release some and will post their reply.

They suggested I go with the M30, but I don't think the M30 is supposed to be much of a thrower. What is the CPF concensus?

RR

PayBack

Enlightened
A diffuser would make more sense for this light than the M30... I hope they bring them out as it would save having to carry a 3rd light for close up.

jedi

Newly Enlightened
Yeeha,

First post after reading tons here lovecpf

Since I stopped collecting the olights with the M30, it´s an interesting thread here going on about the M31...:sssh:

I don´t think they will bring the cool filter stuff for the big head of the M31.
The M30 as a real flooder and works great with the diffusor.
I would be afraid that with the highly focused beam of the sst50 there won´t be a nicely smooth closeup/ambient light with that thin filterglass.

Am I alone missing the steel bezel? :shakehead

Does it even belong to the tactical M series anymore without it? :devil:

CU
jedi

lew187

Newly Enlightened
@ Tally-ho

that's right. But in reallity it's not that big difference. Camera push up the effect.

@ jedi

I also missing steel bezel :p wud be nice to looking with.

Why they leave the steel bezel?

anyway.. great light!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

PayBack

Enlightened
Personally I'm glad it doesn't have the steel bezel... that looks tacked on to me. I don't like crenualted bezels in general, let alone bits that look stuck on the end.

And how is a shiny piece of metal on the end "tactical" ?

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heard back from Olight. They have no accessories to fit the M31. No diffusers, colored lenses or pressure switches. I emailed back asking if they planned to release some and will post their reply.

They suggested I go with the M30, but I don't think the M30 is supposed to be much of a thrower. What is the CPF concensus?

RR

I have owned the Olight M30 for a year now and it is a floody torch for sure.

I use it mainly on night walks in my suburban area.

I tried the M31 at my dealers place against my M30 and it definitely has a tighter spot than the M30.

The M30 does throw a little bit but only by sheer lumens it seems.

It gives what would be described as a "wall of light" that is very evenly distributed in a wide coverage.

I have had an issue with my M30 and it is still in the hands of the dealer and distributor over the screw threads wearing out on the torch body.

See the CPF thread that I posted below -

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/290911

This might be an issue also on the M31.

Last edited:

River Runner

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, OTF. I was afraid the M30 might not have the throw I'm looking for. I had seen the thread regarding the thread problem and am watching with interest. I hope Olight and the dealer make things right. I haven't heard much about their customer service and this will be a test.

RR

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope I get a new torch under warranty as Olight state in the warranty that I received in the box with the torch because I did nothing wrong in using it and never abused it.

It gives out a great even wall of light as I said above.

If I don't get it replaced you will here about it here on CPF in no uncertain terms!!

I emailed Olightworld about the problem a while back but never received a reply.

That is not a good start.

I am just small change afterall.

The dealer has sent it back to the distributor to see what they say.

I have still not heard anything back yet after a few phone calls to the dealer.

I just thought also that when you shortened my CPF name to OTF it also goes with "Out The Front" as in lumens (OTF).

Last edited:

Latest posts