Anyone have this 24W HID 9" shorty?

KillingTime

Newly Enlightened
Found this on aliexpress:

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h...on-24W-1440LM-Rechargeable-HID-Flashlight.jpg

It's a 24W HID, 9", 1440 Lumens, 2200mAh battery (11-12V). $60 USD

If anyone has it:

1. What's the startup time?
2. Hot re-strike?
3. Rough runtime?
4. Overall quality.

Oddly, the same style 24W flashlight is listed as having 2200 lumens by other vendors - same wattage, runtime and battery pack but priced at $100. I wonder sometimes if they just make the figures up out of thin air, hence my questions above. AT 60 USD though, it's almost disposable.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
I wonder sometimes if they just make the figures up out of thin air, hence my questions above. AT 60 USD though, it's almost disposable.

Thanks.

Yes, "thin air." Chances will be that it is disposable so average out how many months of lights you're willing to accept for $60 and anything you get beyond that will be a bonus. Honestly, there are so many models of Chinese lights appearing on ali, DX, ebay and other sources, that nobody could ever keep up with them.

You've got 3 main categories of lights here in this section of CPF. 1)CPF member embraced and endorsed lights. 2)Generics. 3)Home builds. Every time someone brings a new generic to the stage there's a good chance that few, if any, will know anything about it. This absence of CPF info and cataloging isn't unique to generic HID's either. If you go over to DX and search LED flashlights you'll run into a bewildering assortment of generic LED lights that almost nobody tracks or pays any attention to in the LED section of CPF. This is because there are still an incredible number of quality manufactures of LED flashlights that have a history here with our members. I would stick with the manufactures and dealers that are popular, with good reason, here at CPF.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
This style 24W cost about $90 when shipping is included, the newer version using the same exact body but
20w/28w/35w 3 mode version, which cost about $112 on aliexpress. Haven't seen it on ebay yet,
one guy on CPF posted a brief review of it, so far so good.

24w isn't very bright, 50K lux max where XML thowers can match that,
35W is a lot brighter, should be around 125-135 k lux.

Enlightened
I have the same "generic" MIC brand HID. But 65W. Purchased 5 of them now, 4 are in Indonesia doing "professional" work - professional as in it's a tool to bring in the dough...its been about 6 weeks. Its been drenched as well, seems like its not "too bad." But pls do not submerge it. Perhaps you can reveal your budget + your usage? We were supposed to buy more of those, but the LEDs getting quite good nowadays as ma_sha said. I am trying out the 3 x XM-L variants, only approx $50 shipped. But do note that the high powered LEDs cannot gun for 30 mins straight delivering high lumens, unless you have a large body + good heatsinking. But LEDs have plusses, even my Ultrafire U-80 withstood quite a shock of about an equivalent of a 3-4 storeys drop which richocheted off ceremic tiles and chipped concrete on the wall. Glass lens did broke though.

The 24W version at $90 shipped for you guys in the USA doesn't seem to be a good deal. I got the 65Ws for just a bit over 130 bucks shipped here, its a different ball game then.

Is it a Chinese pipe bomb in the making? Don't know, but i did stress test that time when we were discussing the 50W vs 65W. I ran nearly 20 cycles of full bore ON to battery cut off which was like in the region of 70-80 mins. It got really hot, but nothing broke. Since its a 3S3P config for the biggest configs, do note the Li-ion dangers, you can't monitor it. But that's already factored in, crap cells do not run 70-80 mins with crazy output.

I have some beamshots - check it out yourself in the thread i posted in this forum.....if you need a frame of reference for performance.

Of course, by all means pls avoid the "CCC", cheap chinese crap. :D This HID is also not exactly very nice looking also.

Last edited:

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast