• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Anyone know EL Capitan runtimes for power level #4?

FaithinGod

Newly Enlightened
The RMSK website has an information section showing the different power level El Capitan run-times on different battery chemistries.

On one alkaline, it runs only about an hour (16 approx. lumens) and on two alkalines it reaches 12 hours.

I just wonder if anyone has first hand experience with the #4 power level El Capitan, to show if those run-times are up-to-date.

I know about the QTC standard, but I was considering the fixed power level option.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you can offer.

FaithinGod.

jorgen

Enlightened
I believe that information is outdated and different power levels are no longer available since the QTC, more or less replaced the need for them.
You might call or use the RMSK chat to talk to Bob as to whether any le vel 4 lights are still available. there were some level 4 Logans, on the site, a few months back. I don't know of they sold out.

FaithinGod

Newly Enlightened
Thanks jorgen.

I have read posts here, that Peak resumed offering the single level output option (directly from Peak offices), after the QTC showed sustained problems with consistent light output, because of QTC material having particles flaking off; from cold temperatures, or from long term or hard compression of the QTC.

FaithinGod

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, Peak has again started making power-level lights if you request them. I got a #8 El Cap and #6 Eiger that way about 6 months ago. As always, customer service is... lacking. That said, I ordered neutral tint and the emitters I got are AMAZING. Could have been tint lottery but both lights have incredibly pleasing beams.

If you're trying to circumvent the QTC mechanism, make a note that even the power level lights use a QTC pill. I specifically requested the "old style" shorter body (no room for a QTC pill; battery contacts body directly) but instead received the new longer bodies with a "solid core" QTC pill in it. This is my least favorite part about the lights since the pill can make an intermittent connection. If I very gently twist the head on the El Cap, it will flicker on at a low level instead of coming on at level 8. I believe the pill is probably sitting crooked at the bottom and making a very poor, high resistance connection.

I'm not sure where you got 1hr @ 16lm for a #4 though. One of Peak's last runtime charts for the El Cap states that on 1xAA Alkaline you get 8 hours to 50% and 15 hours to 5%. This seems correct with my experiences.

FaithinGod

Newly Enlightened
calipsoii,

Thanks for your input, that's really helpful.

Sorry about the lacking specificity on my run-time conclusion.

I need at least 200 candlepower, and that is what I used to measure from the chart, which is the same one you posted the link to.

On that chart the 1 AA alkaline El Cap. sustains it's 200 candlepower for only the first hour. But, the 2 AA run-time shows 200 candlepower sustained for 12 hours.

By "solid core", are you saying the QTC is not removable, or very difficult to remove?

FaithinGod

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh yeah, then you are correct about the runtimes - didn't realize you had brightness requirements. The difference in runtime is because 2xAA brings the voltage up high enough that the boost converter doesn't need to do any work. Without the efficiency loss boosting 1.5V -> 3.3V, you gain significantly increased runtimes. Not sure what the % efficiency of Peak's boost converter is, but I can't imagine it's super high given the wide range of voltages it supports.

If you've seen Peak's QTC pill, it's UFO shaped. There's a Delrin disk holding two electrical contacts together with a piece of QTC sandwiched in the middle. I haven't disassembled my QTC pills but I'm under the impression from other threads that in the single level lights they've just used a solid piece of metal instead of 2 halves. I could be wrong and it might actually just be a normal pill without any QTC in the middle, but like I said, I haven't checked. It could *probably* be removed but it's not easy, and even if you do, your battery is too short to touch the bottom of the light and the head at the same time.

Don't take this as too negative - I still love their lights. I just prefer their old style and would like to do away with the QTC pill entirely instead of using a blank/empty one. My brass #8 pocket-body narrow-optic El Cap gets carried at least 1 day a week. That wouldn't be happening if I didn't like it. :)

brassuh.jpg

FaithinGod

Newly Enlightened
Thanks calipsoii, for offering all that information and experience.

Nice pictures too.

FaithinGod

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a stainless Eiger that I removed the QTC pill from. I use a small magnet on the negative end of the battery to make contact. It works great, if that helps at all.

I also have an older style brass Eiger that I will never part with. It's a keyring body, but it's not bored all the way thru like the newer ones and can easily be detached from the keychain. I wish they still made them like that.

eiger1t.jpg

Last edited:

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the thought that Peak is again offering simple single level lights. I have had many Peaks and really like them, however, I was disappointed with the QTC Logan that I had. It was very inconsistent and flaky.

My favorite power levels are #4 for AAA and either #4 or #6 for for AA/CR123/17500 lights. Good balance between runtime and brightness.

My #4 Eiger draws approximately 275 mA current from an Eneloop AAA. From memory I believe this is the same for an El Captain AA model. So you will get "roughly" 2000/275 (over 7 hours fairly consistent brightness with a trail off for several hours - as the way the Peak circuit works). This seems to agree with the information/chart calipsoii mentioned above.

Last edited:

FaithinGod

Newly Enlightened
Sorry for the late reply, been away for a while.

Thanks for that input, regulator, it's helpful.

FaithinGod